Review of The one that kills you

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa P Cowling
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Review of The one that kills you

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The one that kills you" by Rick Rothermel.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Set in sunny Southern California in 2010, and subsequently in Las Vegas, then in the desolate southern Nevada desert, "The One That Kills You" by Rick Rothermel centers on the circumstances surrounding the deaths of auto racing legend Ronnie Connors and his wife, who were brutally murdered over a decade ago. As time passed, these became cold cases and were swept under the bureaucratic carpet. However, when Street, a criminologist by training, gets referred, the case is reopened. Street went all out, pulling out all the stops and using every trick in his trench coat to solve the mystery. He turned over each stone, pursued every lead, and utilized every resource he had, never once letting up on his quest for the truth. Finally, after countless sleepless nights and countless dead ends, he laid the case bare and shone a light on the truth that had been hidden in the shadows from the beginning. 

The story was really engaging, and I was totally engrossed until the very last word. Rick Rothermel writes his prose like a well-seasoned author and not, by any stretch of the imagination, a newbie. His debut novel reads like the seasoned work of a hardboiled gumshoe. He has made a smart story with great pacing, fascinating characters, and a few shocks; one of such shocks was finding out the real mastermind behind everything. The plot is a real peach. It keeps moving at a steady clip, never gets bogged down by unnecessary details, and the flashbacks are just the cherry on top. They weave themselves into the story with all the grace of a seasoned con artist. The character, Street, is a real piece of work, full of depth and grit. I admire his dedication and work ethic. When he starts a job, he follows a thread and his instincts to the bitter end, as clients would expect. I also admired the fact that he didn’t let sentiments cloud his judgment. I think the character of Street was my favorite thing about this book. 

Despite the few grammatical errors found in this book, I rate it a 5 out of 5. Also, I found nothing to detest or improve about this book. This book will be best enjoyed by readers who love private detective books and private investigator mystery books.

The one that kills you
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

Thank you for this honest and detailed review, Lisa! It definitely sounds like a book I would enjoy. I'm delighted to read the author's prose is pleasant to read, it's definitely rare with debut novels.
I wish you a wonderful day out there, keep up the good work :gay-rainbow:
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: life.............connected by jacksel

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

The deaths of auto racing legend Ronnie Connors and his wife seems like a tragedic one, and for the case being reopened was a relief on my end. A captivating review to read.
Miriam Ratemo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: Speedy Hurled Through Havoc by Dave Letterfly Knoderer

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

Your rating justify your detailed reviews b. Great work and am amazed with your review
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel uses some classic tropes of the mystery genre with a private detecitive as a protagonist to create an engaging story. I wonder how Street's search for the truth ends and what kind of truth he finds. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”