Review of Is Truth Stranger Than Fiction? You Decide . . .

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Review of Is Truth Stranger Than Fiction? You Decide . . .

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Is Truth Stranger Than Fiction? You Decide . . ." by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Is Truth Stranger Than Fiction? You Decide . . . by JB Miller is a collection of three short stories: Is P, L My Half Brother?, Tweeker, and The Recruiter. The first two follow the lives of two unnamed women grappling with the repercussions of a parent’s affair in their early childhood and how it has affected them in their adult lives. The third story is set in the world of corporate politics and follows Bill, a salesman who has slaved his whole professional life on Wall Street trying to earn his father’s approval. Bill gets abruptly fired and has to figure out his life, especially with a fourth baby on the way. Miller says these stories are connected and have some truths in them. She invites readers to guess how the stories are connected.

The book had a slow start, especially with the first story, but it grips you once it picks up with the second, which was my favorite. The unnamed female narrator’s story in Tweeker was raw, honest, funny, and shocking. It’s incredible to think that all three stories have some truths in them. Although I could spot some connections, I couldn’t connect them all.

Is Truth Stranger Than Fiction? You Decide . . . is a great book. Unfortunately, it had errors—too many for a book of its size. Also, the ending of the third story felt rushed, and I had many questions regarding Bill and his father’s relationship, the identity of Elizabeth’s friend and the details of their plan, and Elizabeth and Bill’s sudden affection for each other with no build-up to it.

Considering the above, I rate the book 4 out of 5 stars. I couldn’t rate it any lower because, despite the issues, I enjoyed the stories and had fun trying to figure out how they were all connected.

Is Truth Stranger Than Fiction? You Decide . . .
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sean Patrick Tracy
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sean-patrick-tracy.html
Latest Review: Olympus Bound by Zoë Routh

Post by Sean Patrick Tracy »

"Is Truth Stranger Than Fiction? You Decide . . ." by JB Miller sounds like an intriguing collection of short stories that explore the complexities of family dynamics, personal identity, and corporate politics. While it had a slow start, the gripping narrative and raw honesty of the second story stood out as a highlight. The author's invitation to readers to guess how the stories are connected adds an extra layer of engagement. However, the presence of errors and a rushed ending in the third story detracted from the overall experience. Nonetheless, the enjoyment of the stories and the challenge of uncovering their connections warranted a 4-star rating. As a prospective reader, I'd be curious to delve into these thought-provoking tales and unravel their mysteries.
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: The Aviculturist by Ann Smythe

Post by Kristin Cowan »

I like the idea that it gives the reader the opportunity to try to put the puzzle pieces together on his/her own. It doesn't sound like it is too predictable!
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

It's a fun idea to guess how the two stories are connected instead of making it super obvious by the author. From the face of it, they look like two completely different stories but I would love to find out if they are really connected.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

Three stories that have some connections, and it seeme like the author challenged readers to find them. Quite an intriguing idea. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”