Review of Crimeline Hollywood

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 50%

Review of Crimeline Hollywood

Post by Laney K »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Crimeline Hollywood" by Thomas Collins.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In the opening pages of Crimeline Hollywood by Thomas Collins, Dash Harwood, Astrologer to the Stars, was pursued by a hitman in a highspeed chase. After this, Dash decided to go into hiding in a small town and complete his astrology consultations remotely. However, when Sparklynn, his most famous client, is kidnapped, Dash is called to help with the investigation. Sparklynn, who is a fan of codes and puzzles, might be leaving coded messages in her ransom messages that Dash is determined to crack. He also is paired up with Rebecca, a P.I. obsessed with her image. Will they be able to find Sparklynn in time? Will the hitmen catch up with Dash?

A personal highlight of the book was the mix of suspense and humor. For example, during the car chase at the beginning, Dash is fighting with Nigel, his GPS, the entire time. Poor Nigel recalculates each time Dash makes a wrong turn to save his life. Little details like the characters bickering with technology add moments of lightheartedness and humor to juxtapose the suspense of the kidnapping. I love it when books can leave me laughing out loud while frantically reading to find out if they can solve the case in time.

The only slight dislike I had was the chapter lengths. Many of the chapters were quite short, only a few pages long, which, in my opinion, made the flow seem choppy at times. However, this is an extremely picky critique and did not impact my overall enjoyment of the book.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. My minor critique does not warrant taking off a star. I enjoyed the fast-paced action mixed with the humor, the well-developed characters, and the plot. I also believe that the book was professionally edited due to there only being a few errors. The book does contain strong language, so it is better suited for adult audiences. If you are a fan of mystery, codes, and action mixed with humor, then I highly suggest giving Crimeline Hollywood a try!

Crimeline Hollywood
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: Winning at Leading Women In Leadership by Ronica Watkins, PhD

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

I think this is an interesting combination of thriller and comedy genres in this book. Even the book cover looks enticing. This is further supported by the review you wrote, which makes me even more eager to read this book. It's a very descriptive review and explains the book well. Thank you for writing this.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Sean Patrick Tracy
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sean-patrick-tracy.html
Latest Review: Olympus Bound by Zoë Routh

Post by Sean Patrick Tracy »

"Crimeline Hollywood" by Thomas Collins sounds like a thrilling blend of suspense and humor, with a unique premise involving an astrologer drawn into a kidnapping investigation. The mix of suspenseful moments, such as the high-speed car chase, with lighthearted humor adds depth and entertainment to the narrative. The bickering with technology, like Dash's interactions with Nigel, adds a touch of realism and relatability to the characters' experiences. While the short chapter lengths may disrupt the flow for some readers, it seems like a minor issue in an otherwise enjoyable read. Overall, "Crimeline Hollywood" promises an engaging and entertaining experience for fans of mystery and humor alike.
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Gerry Steen »

Your review shows that this book was fun to read. I like the fact that the author juxtaposed humor with suspense. The fast pace and the great editing are icing on the cake. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

A mystery that is suspenseful and humorous at the same time is certainly funny to read. I agree about very short chapters being a negative element, so I hope they're not annoying. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”