Review of Under The Elm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Martina Sette
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 136%

Review of Under The Elm

Post by Martina Sette »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Under The Elm" by Ivana Christman.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Under The Elm" by Ivana Christman takes readers on a journey through the tangled web of family secrets, religious fervor, and the quest for identity in a small town setting. The story is about Monty, a young woman who feels like an outsider within her own family and community. The author paints the portrait of this girl as the black sheep, navigating the complexities of being the middle child in a large and religious household.

From the very beginning, the story struck a chord with me, and as I read on, I realized I would enjoy it. Readers are introduced to Monty's world, where she feels unnoticed and does not belong, which is a feeling that many people can understand. Her self-esteem issues are further amplified because her sisters are conventionally attractive, making her feel like an outcast. The author uses the setting of a small town in a very smart way, enhancing the atmosphere of isolation and claustrophobia where the protagonist lives.

Ivana Christman has truly done an excellent job of creating empathy with the protagonist: reading Monty's story, her struggles, and the environment she lives in, I immediately understood her perspective. The author builds tension and intrigue, gradually unraveling the dark secrets lurking beneath the surface of Monty's seemingly idyllic community. The revelations Monty uncovers about her family, the church, and those closest to her propel the story forward with relentless momentum, keeping me on the edge of my seat until the very end.

Christman delves into themes of betrayal, redemption, and the consequences of confronting the skeletons in one's closet, leaving us questioning the moral ambiguity of the characters and the world they inhabit. That's why I appreciated this book so much: she wasn't afraid to tackle certain uncomfortable and delicate topics. It's admirable!

I rate "Under The Elm" 5 out of 5 stars, and the reasons are above. There's nothing I didn't like in this book; I liked everything! Also, it's professionally edited because I didn't find the slightest grammatical error. This is an exciting thriller that has a lot to offer. It has well-developed characters, and a plot full of surprises that will keep you engaged from beginning to end. I recommend it to anyone who appreciates thriller stories, especially coming-of-age novels, where the protagonists undergo significant personal growth.

Under The Elm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I believe I will love this book. I think I can relate well with the Monty character. A wonderful review from you!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Kristin Cowan »

This sounds like a book that will resonate with a lot of young teens and adults.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The mix of family secrets, religious passion, and the search for identity in a thriller really grabs my attention. Your review has me even more excited to dive into this book. Thanks for sharing your thoughts—it's a fantastic review!
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

This sounds like a very well-written story. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much, keep up the good work!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Gerry Steen »

It feels like a privelege when I am able to read a story about a person who in real life I probably would know nothing about. People who go through what Monty went through are either withdrawn or angry. Both types of emotion tend to discourage close relationships, and that is why we don't know much about people who live with shame and betrayel. This kind of story allows us to know and feel empathy for this person. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Boots,Barracks, and Belly Laughs: A Veteran's Amusing Adventures in Uniform by TSgt William (Bill) Gates (USAF RET)

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

What a fantastic review! I appreciate how you skillfully introduce the story, the protagonist, and the author's talent with just enough detail to pique curiosity. Your review has certainly captured my interest.
williams Emerald
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by williams Emerald »

Your enthusiastic recommendation and thorough assessment make a compelling case for ‘Under The Elm’ as a must-read thriller with depth and intrigue.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

Monty's story is complicated with her feeling an outcast in a place that hides many secrets. The revelations and discoveries make a thriller that keeps the reader engaged until the end thanks to the author skills in developing the plot. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”