Review of MURDER On Big Stony Lonesome

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anu Anand
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Review of MURDER On Big Stony Lonesome

Post by Anu Anand »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "MURDER On Big Stony Lonesome" by Frederick Poss.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jack Von Himmel, a fifteen-year-old residing in a weathered trailer in Hamot, Wisconsin, finds himself entangled in a scary situation. His family, composed of his grandfather Herman, father Gunther, and uncles Karl and Adolf, is entrenched in Neo-Nazi ideology. Jack's world turns tumultuous when his forbidden love for Sara Koleski, a Jewish girl, is discovered by his grandfather. Determined to prove their allegiance to their hateful beliefs, Herman plots to devastate the cranberry marsh owned by Sara's family. In the face of his grandfather's ruthless intentions, Jack is confronted with a moral dilemma: How can he save Sara's family from destruction? As tensions escalate, Jack's choices will not only dictate the fate of those he holds dear but also potentially seal his own destiny. Dive into the gripping tale of "MURDER On Big Stony Lonesome" by Frederick Poss, a fictional thriller rooted in a chilling real-life event from the author's hometown of Tomah, Wisconsin.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book; it kept me engaged from start to finish. The unexpected twists and turns, along with the gripping plot, had me on the edge of my seat. Initially, judging by the book cover, I thought it might be a werewolf story, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't. However, wolves do play a significant role in the narrative. I found it fascinating how the author depicted the observation and validation of human actions by animals. The portrayal of wolves throughout the book adds an air of mystery to the story. Regarding the characters, Herman was truly a menacing presence, and his actions left me feeling appalled. I couldn't help but feel sympathy for his three sons. On the other hand, Jack emerged as a shining gem, portraying resilience and courage.

Since the characters in this book were German, the author used many German terms. I found the lack of English translation a bit time-consuming, as it interrupted my flow of reading because of the frequent Google visits. There are some minor editing issues in the book. I found over ten instances where typos, grammatical errors, or awkward phrasing occurred. A second proofreading session would easily fix these issues and enhance the overall readability of the text. Other than this, I found the book interesting and engaging. I rate this book 4 out of 5. I reduced one star because of the aforementioned issues.

The book includes gory scenes, violence, racism, and a fair amount of profanity, so reader discretion is advised. However, for fans of mystery thrillers, this book is a must-read. It's packed with suspenseful twists and turns that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

MURDER On Big Stony Lonesome
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”