Official Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Deborah Campion
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborah-campion.html
Latest Review: Bone Necklace by Julia Sullivan

Re: Official Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Deborah Campion »

I have this book in my pile of things I'm reading. I keep getting bogged down in it and don't know why. I like the plot and characters. Perhaps it is just not as compelling as the other books in that pile, the ones that I read through to the end.
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-indiana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Wayne Indiana »

I think this book is very interesting. I wonder what dark secrets will be revealed and how Hillary will deal with these revelations. Thanks for good review! Keep up the good job, please.
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

Thank you for pointing out that the character of the seven year old was well written. So often they aren't (of course Agatha Christie used to do this on purpose, when the child was actually the murderer LOL) but it sounds like her perspective really adds to the story. I also appreciate your comment of how this third-in-a-series book stands alone.
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

This seems to be a well written and well thought out plot. It hinges on reality also. However, I am looking forward to reading fantasy and action novel and this type of genre. Congrats on BOTD. Congrats on the reviewer for writing such a great review.
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

This fictional book is so interesting. Hillary Broome put a lot of plans in place before her agreed honeymoon trip with her husband to Ireland. I hope she achieved her plans. A great review you got.
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

This is one of the books I had my eye on for a long long time, so I'm super excited to start reading!! The dark family secrets that comes to light is what intrigues me and then for it to be set in Ireland is an absolute plus. Thanks so much for the free book. Well done on a well written review😉😁.
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

Usually I tend to read series accordingly. But as this is one is a standalone and the story seems very compelling and engaging I guess I'll start with this one. The themes of mystery, family, portrayal of Clair's child character and the Irish setting all seem very interesting. Congrats on BOTD!
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

The book's plot moves at a steady pace, keeping the reader engaged throughout the story. The characters are well-developed, and the author skillfully propels the plot through them. The reviewer particularly appreciates the realistic portrayal of Hillary's daughter, Claire, and how the author balances her childish enthusiasm with age-appropriate behaviors. The attention to detail regarding traveling to a different country with a child adds an extra layer of authenticity to the story.
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

From the sample I read of the book, I can see what you mean by the characters being relatable to the readers. The lives of the two families seem so normal and everyday, with financial struggles, accomplishments, being excited for your paycheck, etc. At some point, almost everyone has been there, plus there aren't many people who can't appreciate the smell of a fresh pot of coffee in the morning. Thank you for the review :)
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

What an excellent review! You perfectly described the story without giving away too much. I also read and enjoyed this book. Like you, I was impressed by the author's ability to create well-developed characters. The little details included about Claire were spot on. Indeed, her behavior reflected the typical actions of a 7-year-old child. Irish history also plays a significant role in the plot.
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

House of Eire by June Gillam seems like an interesting book to read. I'm worried about Hillary digging into her family's secrets and trying to uncover hidden secrets while on family vacation, as mixing business with pleasure may endanger the lives of her family. Congratulations on BOTD!
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

Interesting review, does have family background have dark secrets for Hillary to write about? What benefit would this vacation bring to her and her husband Ed? This novel seems to be filled with mystery, I can't wait to read this novel. Congrats on BOTD!
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

Thank you for the review, I had an idea on what the book is all about. It strikes me aside from Hillary's discoveries of her family root is that the Ireland's history. Ireland is one of my bucketlist for country exploration.
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

"House of Eire" by June Gillam is a story about Hillary Broome and her husband Ed's vacation and belated honeymoon in Ireland. Ed will also be attending a summit for detectives and Hillary would like to learn more about her ancestors that lived in Ireland. This is the third book in a series and when dark family secrets come to light Hillary attempts to unravel these secrets and keep her family out of danger. Well written and an exciting read
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

A nice review. I'm curious to learn more about Hilary's family history and how she manages to avoid the danger her buddy put her in.Good review. Congrats on winning BOTD.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”