Rowan and Demi : The changed relationship.

Discuss We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Rowan and Demi : The changed relationship.

Post by zainherb »

I find it very interesting that when Rowan and Demi first got to know each other in the beginning of the series, they were distrustful of each other, and somewhat hostile to each other.

Now, in the sixth book, the relationship has improved so much, it's amazing to see how loyal to, and protective of each other, they both are. Without Galen to act as buffer too.

It just tickles me to think about it.

What do you think?
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
naomilupton_98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomilupton-98.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by naomilupton_98 »

It was very unexpected, but quite amazing to see. They still responded to each other with sarcasm, still seem to drive each other up the wall. I think, with Galen gone, and considering how they did most things as a group, they realized they needed to look out for each other. Also, good on Demi to warn Rowan about the people at Diamora. He was acting like a true friend. It will be interesting to see how the relationship dynamics change with Galen back.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

I think their relationship has been improving since book #3, where they started to share their own ideas with each other. Perhaps because no one else but Demi cares about Rowan's full name, he has been more open to Demi. Then in books #4 and #5, when Demi silently admits his feelings towards Rowan, they have become even closer. Now looking back, I feel that Demi dislikes Rowan partially because Rowan always cuddles up to Galen and not him, so maybe he's a bit lonely.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I certainly love that Demi and Rowan have gotten closer, but I feel like Galen has gotten the short end of the stick when it came to his and Demi's friendship. I get that some tension has gotten in between them, but I don't get how that could render Galen of any less importance as a friend to Demitrius.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I agree. I indeed liked the bond between the two. Their relationship has evolved to a great extent when compared to the first part. For me this was kinda unexpected. I thought there would be huge clashes between them or something like that. But it’s nice to see them like this.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Leyla Ann wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 16:55 I certainly love that Demi and Rowan have gotten closer, but I feel like Galen has gotten the short end of the stick when it came to his and Demi's friendship. I get that some tension has gotten in between them, but I don't get how that could render Galen of any less importance as a friend to Demitrius.
In my opinion, it feels like Demetrius has been keeping a distance from Galen. Ever since book #1, Demetrius would openly mock Rowan or try to find out about his private stuff (like asking for Rowan's last name or sneaking into Rowan's room). But towards Galen, he hardly does so. He often calls Galen his employer, too. Of course, he also shows his concern for Galen, like in book #5 when Galen goes to Caromentis. It's just that Demetrius seems to value Rowan more than Galen, seeing how different he reacts when Marshus threatens Rowan and Galen with a knife.
Nikowl7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikowl7.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Nikowl7 »

It seems there might be a conflict between Demi and Galen, though I don't think they will part ways. He seems to care about Galen, I think they came closer with Rowan because they believed that Galen had died, so they were the only ones left. I love how their friendship has evolved!
Dabrielle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dabrielle.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Dabrielle »

I love that the relationship between Demetrius and Rowan has improved in the course of the novels. The genuine friendship and care that each feels for the other are exceptional. It is interesting that the lack of trust and almost dislike that Demetrius felt towards Rowan blossomed into a feeling of protection and filial love. Human dynamics are so wonderful to observe!
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I'm still wondering if the feelings of Demetrius for Rowan are just about friendship or if there is some romance involved as well.
AlphariusRE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphariusre.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AlphariusRE »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 16:16 I'm still wondering if the feelings of Demetrius for Rowan are just about friendship or if there is some romance involved as well.
I agree! I had a friend too like Dem. It was friendship yeah, but well, I did have feelings for her too. Reading through the book, I was so reminded of those days.

Return to “Discuss We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind (Book 6 of 6)”