Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Re: Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Post by Fajarr »

I think the many relationships, in a way, contributes to Ron's character because all those relationships were initiated by the ladies. This reflects to some extent his lack of control/direction/focus in many aspects of his life.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 01:58
lavkathleen wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 03:19
maiiii_maii wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 20:59 I don't think one needs multiple relationships in order to bring out the best in him.
I agree with this, but I don't think he went into those relationships to "bring out the best in him", though. I think it was only coincidence that he met those women and eventually got attracted to them—that's all it is. I understand that you enjoyed the book less, though. The author needs to resort to something else to make the character more interesting.
Ron must have been naive in the beginning. He always wanted something or someone to connect with. And as an orphan he was lacking in attention and loneliness was a constant issue. I think this is the reason he clings so fast to whoever he meets. Do you have a different opinion?
I think you are right at that. For someone who never received the kind of love and comfort at home when they grew it could be normal for them that immediately when they ge to meet someone they get to be clingy
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

The relationships are not that much but he packed self control. What he had with Cheryl was a fling, and cannot be classified as a relationship. With Sheila also, I don’t like the idea of sleeping with your business partner. That’s indiscipline. I wish it’s Regina he had married though.
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The Cursed by Beth Schluter

Post by Olga Markova »

I personally think it was natural for Ron to have multiple relationships as his personality was maturing and he was attracted to different persons at different stages of his life. You may recall his first girlfriend who had been his classmate, and being "outcasts" when in school was what bonded them. Once they left school, that "outcast" bond was lost and they parted their ways.

On another note, these multiple relationships are also a backdrop against which Ron's never-fading relationship with Regina is brought to the front, possibly symbolising the unity of mind that prevailed for him in his relationships.
Nicky Rita
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicky-rita.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nicky Rita »

I didn't think his relationships were overbearing or detracted from the character. Multiple relationships are common in life, and I thought the way they added to his character was very interesting.
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

I liked that he was involved in a lot of relationships because I do believe the women he got into a relationship with shaped him up to be a better person in life.
Blessing Otuokere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Blessing Otuokere »

For me, Ron's involvement in all the relationships had a detrimental effect on him. Even though he was successful, this in some ways reflects his lack of direction, attention, and control in many areas of his life.
Cat pill35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cat-pill35.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Cat pill35 »

I'm not sure why he had multiple relationships, or if it was in his character. I don't want to pass judgment on him, but in this case, I believe he was extremely fortunate to find success in these relationships.
Monica Omonigho Bennymoore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monica-omonigho-bennymoore.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Monica Omonigho Bennymoore »

Yes, Ron is allowed to have as many relationship his masculinity and strength allows. He is a man and polygamous in nature. Yes, one might not need multiple relationship to bring out the best in him but if he has chosen to live that way, then it is his hard luck and he faces the consequences of his choices. I have and am now living above the set back of multiple relationship. Everyman to his tent and choices. Its much ado about absolutely nothing.
NutellaBanana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutellabanana.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by NutellaBanana »

I do not really fancy the whole having a lot of related concepts that Ron portrayed. I did feel that the relationships made him grow, but then I felt he should have explored or understood what he had for Regina better.
Peace Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-eze.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Peace Eze »

I would say Ron was vulnerable and his relationships with women could be as a result of his childhood experiences.
Mercylib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercylib.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Mercylib »

I agree with this, but I don't think he went into those relationships to "bring out the best in him". I also understand that even in real life not everyone finds "the one" on one try , so I can not fault him for this. Ron's numerous relationships did not make me enjoy the book any less.
Ngozi mouau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-mouau.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ngozi mouau »

The writer's intention may not have been for those multiple relationships to bring out the best in Ron. Rather, the writer may have crafted Ron's character in such a way to portray the realities of life. Not everyone discovers true love immediately; sometimes, we navigate through various relationships before finding the one that truly fulfills us.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”