Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Re: Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

lavkathleen wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 21:47
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 01:58
lavkathleen wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 03:19
I agree with this, but I don't think he went into those relationships to "bring out the best in him", though. I think it was only coincidence that he met those women and eventually got attracted to them—that's all it is. I understand that you enjoyed the book less, though. The author needs to resort to something else to make the character more interesting.
Ron must have been naive in the beginning. He always wanted something or someone to connect with. And as an orphan he was lacking in attention and loneliness was a constant issue. I think this is the reason he clings so fast to whoever he meets. Do you have a different opinion?
I haven't thought of it that way, but I agree with you—it makes sense. Now that you mentioned it, I realized I can relate with Ron a little. But then again, don't we all need and crave that connection with someone?
Yes, it is possible to have a crash on someone. You can see Ron struggle with his feelings. I could associate the need for attention to how he was nurtured from a tender age. Foster homes aren't always hospitable. This might be the reason he is always seeking to have someone who would love him.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
raj_nandani_poet
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raj-nandani-poet.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by raj_nandani_poet »

maiiii_maii wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 20:59 In the story, Ron has one relationship after the other. On my part, it dampened my interest in the story. I don't think one needs multiple relationships in order to bring out the best in him. What do you guys think?
I agree with you. There is no need to include multiple relationships to prove the point. Other aspects of life or other incidents could have been used to depict his characteristics. But if there is any other reason that any one of you think I might've missed for his multiple relationships, I want to know that.
Catie139
Currently Reading: Catena Aurea
Bookshelf Size: 12861
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catie139.html
Latest Review: The L.I.G.H.T. Seminar by Deacon Michael Wesley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Catie139 »

I can see that all of the relationship issues that Ron had were to add to the plot of the story. But in my estimation, it made the story more depressing - like Ron couldn't relate to himself without seeing himself only through the eyes of the women with whom he was involved.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Frankly, I dislike this type of man, especially when they are the main characters. I feel like Ron will just date whoever approaches him, without really caring why he should go out with them. And when they want to leave, he simply lets them go. I hardly feel the love in his relationships, so I think this aspect is unnecessary for the story. It only makes me lose interest in the book.
maiiii_maii
Currently Reading: Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maiiii-maii.html
Latest Review: The Stolen Heir by Tayma Tameem

Post by maiiii_maii »

maiiii_maii wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 20:59 I don't think one needs multiple relationships in order to bring out the best in him.
I agree with this, but I don't think he went into those relationships to "bring out the best in him", though. I think it was only coincidence that he met those women and eventually got attracted to them—that's all it is. I understand that you enjoyed the book less, though. The author needs to resort to something else to make the character more interesting.
Ron must have been naive in the beginning. He always wanted something or someone to connect with. And as an orphan he was lacking in attention and loneliness was a constant issue. I think this is the reason he clings so fast to whoever he meets. Do you have a different opinion?
I must say that I agree with this perspective. I think that we, humans, innately seek love and/or connection. As Ron was an orphan, he did not have much of that growing up.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Sou Hi wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 22:22 Frankly, I dislike this type of man, especially when they are the main characters. I feel like Ron will just date whoever approaches him, without really caring why he should go out with them. And when they want to leave, he simply lets them go. I hardly feel the love in his relationships, so I think this aspect is unnecessary for the story. It only makes me lose interest in the book.
It is true that Ron was easy to hook up with. It got me concerned of how fast he could fall in love with a stranger. But that is not a flaw in Robert's way of writing, it's his choice of characterization. I didn't find it inappropriate.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

I don't think the character should have needed those relationships to bring out the best in himself. It should be something that the character develops themselves. Saying that, it does make it more believable that a character who doesn't know what they want in life and don't know who they are, has multiple relationships as they're not sure who they want either.
Budhal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-budhal.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Budhal »

maiiii_maii wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 20:59 I don't think one needs multiple relationships in order to bring out the best in him. What do you guys think?
I second that. Well, according to me one needs to have more integrity when it comes to relationships. And sticking to one person can help bring out the best. I think sometimes getting in relationships one after the other only results into a confused personality, someone who cannot stick to one thing and may not know where their heart and happiness lies.
What isn't said is as important as what is said.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

raj_nandani_poet wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 11:44 I agree with you. There is no need to include multiple relationships to prove the point. Other aspects of life or other incidents could have been used to depict his characteristics. But if there is any other reason that any one of you think I might've missed for his multiple relationships, I want to know that.
I think it says a lot about how his personality developed as someone who jumped from one foster home to another, again and again. People take advantage of perks of adopting foster children, which leads to the kids not receiving the attention and affection that they need while growing up.

Maybe the author was aiming to show Ron's need for that by putting him in different romantic relationships.

Or maybe he wasn't thinking about that at all and just thought he'd throw the guy in those relationships because that's how life goes sometimes. :tiphat: :eusa-think: Who knows, right?
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I don't think that the number of relationships that Ron had was necessarily a negative thing. It certainly did not change my opinion of his character one way or the other. Generally, having many relationships can be a positive thing because it teaches people how to deal with different personalities. I think each relationship he had, taught him about himself. I agree that Cheryl was very insightful.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: Deadly Sexy Lizzy
Bookshelf Size: 1664
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition) by Dr. Colleen Huber
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 90%

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I think that Ron being raised in the foster system actually made him feel his relationships, including sexual, to be superficial. The only exception was with Regina, because she was interested in what he felt and thought and invested true time with him. He also felt more of a connection with her since she engaged his mind and treated him as an equal. He always viewed Sheila as a possible adversary and Cheryl literally dropped him without a lot of warning. Louise kept him at a distance, and he did the same as well. I like how he misjudged Tom and eventually found him to be more than he originally thought.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 346
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Island in the Sun - Growing up in Jamaica 1948-1954 by Monica Carly
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I think that each of Ron's relationships filled a void that he had at the time. I think his lack of a mother-figure contributed to that need.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: WTF! The Chase by Marc Longcor

Post by zainherb »

maiiii_maii wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 20:59 I don't think one needs multiple relationships in order to bring out the best in him.
Okay, this is an interesting view.
I am inclined to agree with you, because this can be an explanation for his multiple relationships.
And, this is a reflection of what truly happens in real life.
:techie-reference:
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

I think so too! Relationships have to do with loyalty, longevity and growth. Jumping from one to the other only depicts two things, either there's a problem with all the others or you're the one with an issue. I think we do know the most probable scenario.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that the concepts of multiple relationships with women is to create interest in the story through some type of drama which would have worked years ago, but not now. I think that many readers especially women have an interest in a more complex story line and not one that is too predictable that you lose interest.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”