Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Independence Corrupted by Charles Benjamin Schudson

Re: Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Post by Harty Muli »

I think the author depicts the reality of life when he shows Ron entering into as many relationships as he can. The relationships build him as he learns the mistakes he does on each.
ashleymarie310
Currently Reading: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Bookshelf Size: 519

Post by ashleymarie310 »

I don't like or dislike it. I think it's really telling to who he was. It's obvious he was kind of a lost soul and was trying to figure out who he liked. He didn't go into any relationship to use his partner for personal growth. He just didn't have a concise enough image of who he wanted to be with. I think it could have happened in the background a little bit more, but at the end of the day, this was significant to his overall development and thus mostly necessary to the story line.
Swirliegirlie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swirliegirlie.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Swirliegirlie »

There was a point in my reading that I felt Ron's multiple relationships with these many incredible women to be a bit far fetched. It did make the story very interesting as these different female characters were very inspiring to me and i appreciated how the author reflected on both their beauty and smarts.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

I just think Ron wanted what everyone wants and that is someone to connect with. He may have not made the wisest decisions in his relationships but that makes his character human.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

jokinyo wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 15:16 I think Ron having multiple relationship was a style of the author to add taste to the story. I loved it some spice in a science fiction book it was worth.
I hold the same opinion in that regard. This is how the author has decided to mould up the Ron' character and in a way it adorns the plot.
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

I did not have any issues with Ron's relationships with Sheila or Cheryl. He was young and hot-blooded and was living his life for his age. But I did have some concern with him being sexually attracted to Regina. I thought that should not have been a central storyline of the book
machaela_fr
Currently Reading: Tiger's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by machaela_fr »

I particularly enjoyed how many relationships Ron had throughout the book. I think it brought an added depth to his story as well as a realistic perspective. Most people are like Ron in which they go through many relationships, learning lessons and taking tiny pieces of each lover with them until they ultimately find their true partner.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I felt like that it was needed in building his character, and also that gave some story to the readers as well. Anyway he was not demonstrated as a player, and he had his own reasons for his multiple relationships
Sushan Ekanayake

lavkathleen wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 03:19
maiiii_maii wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 20:59 I don't think one needs multiple relationships in order to bring out the best in him.
I agree with this, but I don't think he went into those relationships to "bring out the best in him", though. I think it was only coincidence that he met those women and eventually got attracted to them—that's all it is. I understand that you enjoyed the book less, though. The author needs to resort to something else to make the character more interesting.
Maybe that was coincidence, maybe not. Anyway he went from one relationship to another. The moral value of what he did is questionable. Yet it was an aspect that the author used for character development
Sushan Ekanayake

Melexa wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 15:13 I don't think the intention of the writer was for those multiple relationships to bring out the best in Ron. The writer might have designed Ron's character that way to simply depict life's realities; not everyone finds true love at first instance. Sometimes, we go in and out of relationships before we finally find the one that completes us.
That is quite true. From those multiple relationships, rather than bringing best out from Ron, it is Ron who seems to be benefited that he did not ended up with a wrong partner with whom he cannot go forward in his career
Sushan Ekanayake

houligan19 wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 21:27 I did not feel that his relationships were too much or detracted from the character. It is pretty normal to have multiple relationships through life, and I thought that the way they added to his character was very interesting. I especially liked Cheryl and the lessons she taught him.
Yes, it is normal to have multiple relationships, and it adds certain lessons to the life, and in the context of a fiction, it adds certain values and qualities for a character. So, maybe the author's idea was to bring the best out from Ron via these multiple relationships
Sushan Ekanayake

Marty_Kelly wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 05:58 I think the many relationships, in a way, contributes to Ron's character because all those relationships were initiated by the ladies. This reflects to some extent his lack of control/direction/focus in many aspects of his life.
Maybe the author wanted to portray Ron's character as an alpha male. Maybe that was the reason that all the relationships were initiated by ladies. Yet, they provided ggood support for his character development
Sushan Ekanayake

EnobongGold wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 18:23 I may not know exactly why he had multiple relationships, or if it is in his character to do so. I don't also want to judge him, but in his case here I would say he was extremely lucky because he became successful in these relationship. Another person that tries this may not be lucky, having multiple relationships is not a good thing so I don't subscribe to it.
Ron being succeeded in many things that he did was a quality given for his character. So there is no reason for him to fail in his multiple relationships. And these relationships brings out his character for a great extent
Sushan Ekanayake

EnobongGold wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 18:43 I would say Ron had no self discipline.
One being successful does not depend on the number of relationships one keeps
Agreed. One's success cannot be measured by his number of relationships. And yes, he had no self discipline and that was the reasin for his gambling addiction. Yet, as per the discussion, those relationships were key to bring his character to the surface
Sushan Ekanayake

Arimart99 wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 21:12 I usually don't like it when a character has multiple relationships, especially when they bring no character growth, which is the case in this book, so it's no surprise that I didn't like it. However, I understand that having relationships is a natural thing in real-life, so why not bring it into a book too?
I don't agree that it has not contributed for the character ddevelopment. What a character does in a book is his/her character and it applies here to Ron as well. So his multiple relationships brings out his character qualities

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”