Who Is the Hero? Sheila or Regina?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Who Is the Hero? Sheila or Regina?

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Professor Regina Russo becomes the mentor Ron needs to leap into self-discovery. Sheila then introduces him to wealth. They both contribute to Ron's triumphs, but who do you think is the hero of the story?
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Yere123
Currently Reading: Shantaram
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnwagu1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Yere123 »

I think in a way, they were both heroines but I think Regina was more of the hero because she spent so much time educating him. With that knowledge, he could have done so much! On the other hand, who doesn't like money? I would say that both women certainly were important in Ron's life.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

I don't like giving other people the credit when a person achieves something, whether it's a personal or material thing. But if I were to choose between Regina or Sheila on who made a bigger and more important impact in his life, I'd say Regina.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Melexa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melexa.html
Latest Review: Colors of Love by Adeola Oyekola

Post by Melexa »

Yes, wealth is important. However, I'd say self-discovery matters a lot. A wealthy person who has not discovered himself is likely to experiment with his wealth but wealth in the hands of a self-discovered individual is a powerful tool. And a self-discovered individual is more likely to harness his potentials for wealth creation.

For me, I'd say Regina is the heroine, but I also appreciate Sheila's role in his life.
EnobongGold
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by EnobongGold »

Both women played important roles in Ron's life but I will give it to Regina because she's the one that gave Ron that lift in the first place. Without changing his story as a gambler Ron probably wouldn't have even met with Sheila.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

EnobongGold wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 18:01 Both women played important roles in Ron's life but I will give it to Regina because she's the one that gave Ron that lift in the first place. Without changing his story as a gambler Ron probably wouldn't have even met with Sheila.
Indeed, Regina is responsible for the shift in Ron's life. She contributes hugely on Ron's change of attitude towards learning. She is the one who ignites his passion.
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

Regina is the hero. Despite all odds, she pursued her dreams and was willing to challenge scientific orthodoxy. Too many times, egos get in the way of scientific discovery. As far as Sheila, as soon as things did not go her way, she dropped Ron and abandoned her marriage. Not her best moment.
~ Valerie
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

lavkathleen wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 23:45 I don't like giving other people the credit when a person achieves something, whether it's a personal or material thing. But if I were to choose between Regina or Sheila on who made a bigger and more important impact in his life, I'd say Regina.
In this scenario, Sheila and Regina made an impact on Ron's life. I prefer to say that Regina came first to rescue Ron from his negative ways. Then Sheila picked up an ambitious Ron. However, had it been Sheila that met him before, he wouldn't have made it that far.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

valeriejane wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 19:27 Regina is the hero. Despite all odds, she pursued her dreams and was willing to challenge scientific orthodoxy. Too many times, egos get in the way of scientific discovery. As far as Sheila, as soon as things did not go her way, she dropped Ron and abandoned her marriage. Not her best moment.
~ Valerie
I agree with you. Regina was patient with Ron. She accepted him the way he was. She didn't judge him for his gambling addiction. Instead, she mentored him to become more responsible Sheila was not willing to give it all for Ron.
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

valeriejane wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 19:27 As far as Sheila, as soon as things did not go her way, she dropped Ron and abandoned her marriage. Not her best moment.
~ Valerie
I wouldn't say that it happened like that, though. Ron was so busy with his project with Regina that it got suspicious. It got worse when Sheila asked him about it and he kept dodging it. She admitted that she got jealous of Regina, but she also realized that getting married with Ron was a mistake.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 00:45 In this scenario, Sheila and Regina made an impact on Ron's life. I prefer to say that Regina came first to rescue Ron from his negative ways. Then Sheila picked up an ambitious Ron. However, had it been Sheila that met him before, he wouldn't have made it that far.
True. As an entrepreneur, Sheila's interest was on people that would be of use to her and her goals. If she met him first, I don't think she'd have the same patience that Regina had for him. However, I wouldn't say Ron was ambitious when they met—I don't think he's ambitious at all.
Kathleen Lavador

Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

lavkathleen wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 01:01
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 00:45 In this scenario, Sheila and Regina made an impact on Ron's life. I prefer to say that Regina came first to rescue Ron from his negative ways. Then Sheila picked up an ambitious Ron. However, had it been Sheila that met him before, he wouldn't have made it that far.
True. As an entrepreneur, Sheila's interest was on people that would be of use to her and her goals. If she met him first, I don't think she'd have the same patience that Regina had for him. However, I wouldn't say Ron was ambitious when they met—I don't think he's ambitious at all.
On the contrary, Ron was ambitious but his attention was on the wrong purpose. Gambling was a source of cash but not fulfillment. It is for this reason that he always felt gambling would solve all his problems. Sheila is also a good person but her empathy is comparatively low.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I vote for Regina. She made the most important difference in Ron's life. Had he only acquired wealth, he might have missed out on everything important. It's sadly too common for wealthy people to waste their lives (and their wealth) in self-indulgence.
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 01:30 On the contrary, Ron was ambitious but his attention was on the wrong purpose. Gambling was a source of cash but not fulfillment. It is for this reason that he always felt gambling would solve all his problems. Sheila is also a good person but her empathy is comparatively low.
I can't really blame him for that. Money was something he didn't have plenty of as he was growing up. I guess we can thank Regina for placing him in the right direction. I wouldn't say Sheila is a good person, though... but she's okay.
Kathleen Lavador

Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

lavkathleen wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 02:32
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 01:30 On the contrary, Ron was ambitious but his attention was on the wrong purpose. Gambling was a source of cash but not fulfillment. It is for this reason that he always felt gambling would solve all his problems. Sheila is also a good person but her empathy is comparatively low.
I can't really blame him for that. Money was something he didn't have plenty of as he was growing up. I guess we can thank Regina for placing him in the right direction. I wouldn't say Sheila is a good person, though... but she's okay.
Why wouldn't you say Sheila is a good person? She tried her best to mentor Ron into a successful career. Regina deserves the same accolades Regina would receive. Nevertheless, if we were to judge them by their selflessness, Regina would stand out.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”