Who Is the Hero? Sheila or Regina?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Iris Marsh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iris-marsh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Re: Who Is the Hero? Sheila or Regina?

Post by Iris Marsh »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 01:47
Iris Marsh wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 06:15 If I had to choose, it would be Regina. She helped Ron on his path, and without her, he might not have had the opportunity to study and learn and grow as much as he did. Sheila did give him the opportunity to translate his knowledge into something profitable, but I think the book also shows that all this wealth isn't really what makes Ron happy.
I'd also side with Regina for her relentless effort to tap into Ron's potential. I believe it is the same reason that equipped Ron with an experience of the future. He had already discovered his goals and ambitions by the time they met with Sheila. Hadn't it been for Regina, Ron could have spent his entire life in the gambling scenes.
Yes, very true. I also think if it hadn't been for Regina, he probably would've continued gambling and perhaps eventually gotten deeper into the 'darker side' of the gambling scene.
Devika Rajesh
Favorite Book: Void
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devika-rajesh.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B076HWYMJQ

Post by Devika Rajesh »

Both the women like Ron in their own ways. Both of them helped him. So saying that only one of this a hero is injustice to the characters. So both of them are heroes
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Harty Muli »

I'd say Professor Russo because she molds Ron mentally as opposed to Sheila who introduces her to wealth.
Swirliegirlie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swirliegirlie.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Swirliegirlie »

Regina Russo is the hero in my eyes. Money can give you many things but Regina gave him the true inspiration to his fulfilling life. She was always the main landmark in his life and brought concepts and ideas to him that none else could master.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

It is definitely Regina. She is the one who showed Ron a better path and helped him to get educated. If you are educated then you can earn.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

EnobongGold wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 18:01 Both women played important roles in Ron's life but I will give it to Regina because she's the one that gave Ron that lift in the first place. Without changing his story as a gambler Ron probably wouldn't have even met with Sheila.
Agree. Ron's life would have been wasted if it was not for the involvement of Regina. True that he later met Sheila, but all that was due to the timely involvement of Regina, and that makes her the true hero
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Devika Rajesh wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 00:07 Both the women like Ron in their own ways. Both of them helped him. So saying that only one of this a hero is injustice to the characters. So both of them are heroes
The heroism aspect is weighed upon the character who had a greater impact on Ron's life. They both helped him but one of them had to put in more effort than the other. And in my opinion, Regina fits that description perfectly.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Slater678 wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 05:15 I'd say Professor Russo because she molds Ron mentally as opposed to Sheila who introduces her to wealth.
Indeed, Professor Russo is a mentor from the beginning. She takes the roles of a life coach and a motivator. Had it not been for their encounter, Ron would have lived a life of gambling and one that would be full of regret.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Swirliegirlie wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 17:26 Regina Russo is the hero in my eyes. Money can give you many things but Regina gave him the true inspiration to his fulfilling life. She was always the main landmark in his life and brought concepts and ideas to him that none else could master.
Yes, Russo is outstanding in her own ways. She didn't give money to Ron for free. It wasn't a donation or sponsorship, she taught Ron to work hard for what he wanted. I believe this contributed to Ron's eventuality of mentoring kids who loved chess.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Ldpuff wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 19:24 Definitely Regina! She takes her time with Ron and dedicates herself to teaching him. I value education way more than wealth which is why I say Regina.
Very true, if we were to switch the plot and Ron received money only, then his ending would be a negative one. From the beginning, he was attached to quick fixes and fast money. BUt Regina restructures his attitude towards money and how to earn it. She keeps pushing him to become responsible and accountable.
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

It is quite difficult to tell the hero as both women contributed to Ron's success. However if I'm to choose the hero, I will pick Professor Regina Russo.
Moocow1213
Currently Reading: Empath Ebook
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moocow1213.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Moocow1213 »

I think if were considering who the hero is, we should balance the points about who created a more healthier environement.
I think Regina sounds more like the hero of the story, because of the way she shaped Ron's life, helping someone develop themseleves personally could be considered a lot more healthier and heroric than leading them down the path of focusing on material things like money. But this is only my opinion :D
Student, book obsessed and a spiritual individual
'Trust the process'
Moddesser Elahi
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 23:42 Professor Regina Russo becomes the mentor Ron needs to leap into self-discovery. Sheila then introduces him to wealth. They both contribute to Ron's triumphs, but who do you think is the hero of the story?
Regina and Sheila both play vital roles in Ron's life, however, I feel Regina could be considered the hero of the story. She had a greater influence on Ron's life and got him engaged in her experiment on quantum physics which becomes the subject of utmost interest for Ron.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

lavkathleen wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 23:45 I don't like giving other people the credit when a person achieves something, whether it's a personal or material thing. But if I were to choose between Regina or Sheila on who made a bigger and more important impact in his life, I'd say Regina.
I agree with you, and I feel that Regina definitely had a strong impact on Ron's life. Regina introduced the concept of quantum physics to Ron which ultimately became the most important part of Ron's work-life, and in a way, his personal life was also impacted by it. Ron was totally immersed in the experiments on quantum physics.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

Melexa wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 12:35 Yes, wealth is important. However, I'd say self-discovery matters a lot. A wealthy person who has not discovered himself is likely to experiment with his wealth but wealth in the hands of a self-discovered individual is a powerful tool. And a self-discovered individual is more likely to harness his potentials for wealth creation.

For me, I'd say Regina is the heroine, but I also appreciate Sheila's role in his life.
Regina was like an inspiration for Ron, and played a vital role to guide Ron on the path of his self-discovery. Sheila may have helped Ron to get exposed to immense wealth but Ron realized his true calling because of Regina in his life.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”