Who Is the Hero? Sheila or Regina?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Re: Who Is the Hero? Sheila or Regina?

Post by Brenda Creech »

I give the hero badge of honor to Regina! She mentored Ron and led him into discovering his potential, whereas Shelia was focused on money more than self-discovery. Although both are desired and necessary in life, I believe self-discovery is the most important.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

B Creech wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 17:57 I give the hero badge of honor to Regina! She mentored Ron and led him into discovering his potential, whereas Shelia was focused on money more than self-discovery. Although both are desired and necessary in life, I believe self-discovery is the most important.
I agree with you. I feel if Sheila had met Ron before Regina did, then Ron wouldn't have achieved what he did. Actually, if Sheila came to knew Ron in his 'desperate' state as a gambling enthusiast, she wouldn't have wanted to associate herself with him. She is from a prestigious family, the likes of the former Ron aren't her type.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 08:28 Why wouldn't you say Sheila is a good person? She tried her best to mentor Ron into a successful career. Regina deserves the same accolades Regina would receive. Nevertheless, if we were to judge them by their selflessness, Regina would stand out.
Oh yeah, she did. I guess it's just my own judgment to distrust entrepreneurs in general, especially those in Sheila's level. But it would be unfair to deny that she had helped Ron. It was a different way, though, and I appreciate Regina's impact more than hers.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

lavkathleen wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 22:40
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 08:28 Why wouldn't you say Sheila is a good person? She tried her best to mentor Ron into a successful career. Regina deserves the same accolades Regina would receive. Nevertheless, if we were to judge them by their selflessness, Regina would stand out.
Oh yeah, she did. I guess it's just my own judgment to distrust entrepreneurs in general, especially those in Sheila's level. But it would be unfair to deny that she had helped Ron. It was a different way, though, and I appreciate Regina's impact more than hers.
Unfortunately, sometimes Ron had to adapt to what he didn't like for the sake of what he was aiming at. It is the key to achieving more. I call it delayed happiness. Regina was good but she also had her weaknesses. I can't say she was the perfect character in the story. In fact, no character including Ron was perfect. And it is those differences that made Timewise a success.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 01:46 I agree with you. I feel if Sheila had met Ron before Regina did, then Ron wouldn't have achieved what he did. Actually, if Sheila came to knew Ron in his 'desperate' state as a gambling enthusiast, she wouldn't have wanted to associate herself with him. She is from a prestigious family, the likes of the former Ron aren't her type.
Actually, I was surprised that she even had a romantic relationship with him. At first I thought she was going to be the kind of character that wouldn't associate herself with anyone who was in a lower social class and was just going to keep her relationship with Ron strictly professional. And if Ron were to ever show romantic interest, she would either turn him down or make it difficult for him.

Obviously, I was wrong. :roll2: :lol:
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

I feel like the beauty of Ron is that he takes a little bit of knowledge and change from most people he meets. From Cheryl, he learns the beauty of the outdoors and the importance of taking time to appreciate all the earth has to offer. From Shiela, he has his first marriage and also learns the importance of taking time off. I think she also helped him acquire enough wealth to be comfortable in his life, which is important. He even learns from Tom and Louise. From Tom, he learns the importance of a schedule and he appreciates his friendship later in the book. However, I think Regina had the most profound impact on Ron. She gave him a college education, physics lessons that changed his life, and then later a purpose in life. I think it's pretty clear that Regina is the hero because her loss impacts Ron the most. However, I think it's also safe to say that Ron is the hero because he did the work in college and with math to make the most out of his situation. I just think it's unfair to discount the true impact the characters have on him.
SophiaNd
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiand.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by SophiaNd »

The journey of self discovery is not a 100metres dash and not an easy one. Without self-discovery, someone cannot even handle wealth properly so I will simply say that Regina contributed much more in shaping Ron
Nwaogazie Goodness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaogazie-goodness.html
Latest Review: The Harlem Story by Danny Holst

Post by Nwaogazie Goodness »

I'll be kind of biased. Naturally, the hero should be Regina. But since I have a likeness for Sheila, I'll choose her. Yeah!!
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

With self discovery one can attain wealth. Both women were heroines, but I think professor Regina was the true hero.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Regina is the hero for me because I believe the person who picks you and mentors you before others even start seeing your shine is a hero. If Regina had not mentored Ron to the extent she did, perhaps Sheila wouldn't have taken him under her wings.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

To me the hero is Regina Russo, and she is my favorite character. She helped Ron get through college, tutored him in several aspects, and was a major stepping stone in his life. What remains unforgettable in our lives are those traits that we learned from our teachers and people around us. To Ron, Regina Russo was her messiah.
Iris Marsh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iris-marsh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Iris Marsh »

If I had to choose, it would be Regina. She helped Ron on his path, and without her, he might not have had the opportunity to study and learn and grow as much as he did. Sheila did give him the opportunity to translate his knowledge into something profitable, but I think the book also shows that all this wealth isn't really what makes Ron happy.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Iris Marsh wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 06:15 If I had to choose, it would be Regina. She helped Ron on his path, and without her, he might not have had the opportunity to study and learn and grow as much as he did. Sheila did give him the opportunity to translate his knowledge into something profitable, but I think the book also shows that all this wealth isn't really what makes Ron happy.
I'd also side with Regina for her relentless effort to tap into Ron's potential. I believe it is the same reason that equipped Ron with an experience of the future. He had already discovered his goals and ambitions by the time they met with Sheila. Hadn't it been for Regina, Ron could have spent his entire life in the gambling scenes.
kalgaonkarsnehal
Favorite Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Favorite Book: Wish You Well
Currently Reading: Connect the Dots
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalgaonkarsnehal.html
Latest Review: Effective R.U.L.E. by satish shitut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 15638

Post by kalgaonkarsnehal »

I think Regina was a more prominent character and therefore the 'hero' in this context as compared to Sheila. While both women are portrayed to be strong-willed and have a great presence in the story, I think Regina wins in this because of the gravity that she brings to each scene. Sheila is powerful but in a relatable manner. Regina and her obsession with her work, and physics is almost divine. In the story too, Regina has played more of an influential role in Ron's life as compared to Sheila.
“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.” ― Isaac Asimov :techie-studyinggray: :D
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

Definitely Regina! She takes her time with Ron and dedicates herself to teaching him. I value education way more than wealth which is why I say Regina.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”