Were the Physics Topics Too Complex?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Were the Physics Topics Too Complex?

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

There are different subjects of physics present throughout the book.
Did you find the topics to be too complex for easy comprehension?
Were all the discussed topics in physics necessary to accomplish the purpose of the book?
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 23:44 There are different subjects of physics present throughout the book.
Were all the discussed topics in physics necessary to accomplish the purpose of the book?
Though I'm, not a physics student, but I still understand all the topics discussed in the novel even though some jargons are not well understood.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I found some of the topics to be somewhat complex for me. I think they were integral to the premise of the book. However, at certain points I felt unsure as to whether they needed to be elaborated in such depth.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

It depends a lot on the reader's knowledge. I read "hard" science fiction and scientific articles, so it wasn't a problem for me. On the other hand, I understand that for someone with no knowledge of quantum physics the topic might have been too complex.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Luluwa79 wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 09:45
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 23:44 There are different subjects of physics present throughout the book.
Though I'm, not a physics student, but I still understand all the topics discussed in the novel even though some jargons are not well understood.
I am also not a physics student. I had to check on some of the jargon used to find their meanings. But the explanations and dialogue made it a bit easier to comprehend the topics.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 09:57 I found some of the topics to be somewhat complex for me. I think they were integral to the premise of the book. However, at certain points I felt unsure as to whether they needed to be elaborated in such depth.
I might not have had previous ideas on some of the physics topics like the Planck length/ interval. But having read about them in Timewise I got interested to understand more about them.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

The scientific aspects of it were surely too complex for me. Majority of it weren't discussed in my high school. I think I have a general grasp of it, though. I think the author was interested in going into the details of it because it's where it all stems. You can't get the bigger picture if you don't have the tiny details.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I haven't finished the book yet but so far I'd say that I find the explanations complex but understandable. I haven't had any problems with following any reasoning or description.
houligan19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houligan19.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by houligan19 »

I had a small amount of background in the physics and found its use in this book fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed reading her lectures and getting to read about her theorys. I chose the book for this reason, and was not disappointed.
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I didn't have any trouble understanding the physics topics in this book, mostly because I read a lot of science fiction and have encountered similar ideas in other books. But I think the author could have cut back on the details of each idea without harming the story at all and perhaps making it a little livelier.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

I found myself in the middle ground here. I felt at times it got to be a bit much, but seemed to be relevant to the book itself. With every profession, there is jargon. I think it was the hardest to understand in comparison to the explanations. As the book went on, it was easier to catch what was being said and the meanings. However by the time I finished, I found I was still questioning things.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I found the topics too complex. I have no knowledge of quantum physics so I had to read slowly, and sometimes re-read a passage. I don't think the in-depth conversations between Ron and Regina were necessary. I think they should have been shorter. I found myself not being able to stay focused, which made me even more confused about the whole subject!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Melexa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melexa.html
Latest Review: Colors of Love by Adeola Oyekola

Post by Melexa »

I think it was necessary for the author to incorporate that much of quantum physics into the book because he specifically said: "I wrote this to be enjoyed, and one of the joys will be to learn a little about the weirdness of modern science.

However, I had to read carefully to understand certain topics because I'm not into quantum physics and all.
T_Tobbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-tobbs.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by T_Tobbs »

I didn't find the topics too complex, perhaps because I'm a sucker for science and I've read an amount about it, however, some parts took a bit for it to click in my head. Like the bit where Regina redrew the diagram of the big bang, the part where she explains what she meant by awareness creates time. That took a bit for it to click in head.
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

I am not a scientist and I had to read very closely to follow some of the explanations. However, I think the author did explain everything well, it just requires close reading. The theories are important to the plot, which I like--it's annoying when an author throws in a lot of complicated jargon just to sound smart!

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”