Were the Physics Topics Too Complex?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Were the Physics Topics Too Complex?

Post by Michele H »

I had to think this over after completing the book. Now that I have read the entire book, I can see how they came up with the name. Unfortunately, I don’t think it does a good job of enticing readers.
Shieldmaiden88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shieldmaiden88.html
Latest Review: The Blue Rose by LaVonne Thompson

Post by Shieldmaiden88 »

Physics is definitely not one of my better subjects so I don't understand it particularly well. I am much more interested in the story line than physics, but I feel that this book is more geared toward those who are more interested and gifted in sciences who would be able to appreciate the whole book more fully.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

I enjoyed reading the different physics topics in the book. The author explained all of them in detail. They were not too complex.
dcruzsammy
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcruzsammy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by dcruzsammy »

There are lots of topics and terms that were complex and unfamiliar to me, sometimes I had to look them up just for additional understanding. But mostly, even with science stuff, the author did explain it quite thoroughly, so you'll get the grasp of it. Besides, I tend to focus more on the general picture instead of very specific language, so it doesn't really bother me.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

The physics topics definitely slowed down the pace of the book for me. As I said in my own review of the book, I enjoyed it better if I pretended like I was watching an episode of The Bing Bang Theory, and just let the characters spout out their physics jargon while a laugh track played in the background. Regina is Sheldon, Ron is Leonard. Regina doesn't catch Ron's sarcasm. That's all I could think of as I read this book.
AngieOdeh
Favorite Book: Whale of Wonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angieodeh.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Post by AngieOdeh »

Although I don't possess great knowledge about those areas, is nice to dig into some new information, perhaps also get interested in some subjects by doing some extra reading to later come back to the book a little bit more focus.
Cassie_Megan
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cassie-megan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Cassie_Megan »

As a very non-scientific person, the physics topic was very difficult to understand. And it made me often lose my focus whilst reading and feel very confused!
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

I did not think the science was too complicated, but I did not really understand it well as I have not studied quantum physics. Maybe someone who has studied it would understand it better
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

Sarrikoziol wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 04:58 I found myself in the middle ground here. I felt at times it got to be a bit much, but seemed to be relevant to the book itself. With every profession, there is jargon. I think it was the hardest to understand in comparison to the explanations. As the book went on, it was easier to catch what was being said and the meanings. However by the time I finished, I found I was still questioning things.
In some cases the author has to go in depth in the explanation of the aspects that are related to physics. It helps solidify and strengthen the theories discussed in the book.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

NetMassimo wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 11:44 It depends a lot on the reader's knowledge. I read "hard" science fiction and scientific articles, so it wasn't a problem for me. On the other hand, I understand that for someone with no knowledge of quantum physics the topic might have been too complex.
True, the reader's knowledge of physics matters. Otherwise, the reader will have to do some research on the theories discussed in the book.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

Moray_001 wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 17:01
Sarrikoziol wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 04:58 I found myself in the middle ground here. I felt at times it got to be a bit much, but seemed to be relevant to the book itself. With every profession, there is jargon. I think it was the hardest to understand in comparison to the explanations. As the book went on, it was easier to catch what was being said and the meanings. However by the time I finished, I found I was still questioning things.
In some cases the author has to go in depth in the explanation of the aspects that are related to physics. It helps solidify and strengthen the theories discussed in the book.
No, I completely get it. There are times in my own profession where there is no other words to explain. It gets harder sometimes when newer people haven't been exposed to what you are saying.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
Carina Jordaan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carina-jordaan.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Carina Jordaan »

I did not fully comprehend everything, but it did get easier as the book progressed.
Miranda King
Currently Reading: Hunted
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miranda-king.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Miranda King »

I could follow over time, it just became a lot to follow and reread the sections. I could understand why Ron wanted to avoid the lectures.
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

NetMassimo wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 11:44 It depends a lot on the reader's knowledge. I read "hard" science fiction and scientific articles, so it wasn't a problem for me. On the other hand, I understand that for someone with no knowledge of quantum physics the topic might have been too complex.
I completely agree with this. For me, as someone who reads hard science fiction and aced college physics with ease, the science was easy to understand. My husband, on the other hand, has no science background. Because of the way the UK education system works, he never took physics in high school, and in college, he only took classes in his major. I read a passage to him because I thought it was interesting, but it was beyond his skill set despite his Masters in Computer Science.
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

I loved the science for exactly the same reason I think others would possibly find it frustrating. If a novel is enjoyable, I appreciate it. If a novel makes me think, I love it. At several points in this novel, I found myself pausing, putting the book down, and considering the ideas in the context of what I already know. I appreciated the author's note in our description page that defined this novel's genre as speculative science as it allowed me to stretch my imagination within the confines of what I already know.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”