Were the Physics Topics Too Complex?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Re: Were the Physics Topics Too Complex?

Post by Reader-247 »

I think it narrows the reader's circle when such academic topics are disscussed, however, it must be something that the writer is passionate about and also it might arouse the interest of some people as well so it is a 50-50.
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

I understood the scientific theories, I just found it a bit heavy going. I liked that there were scientific discussions on quantum physics because it adds a sense of realism but when it is going on for six pages, then that's too much. I found it started detracting from the story.
Sudasha Donatien
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sudasha-donatien.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Sudasha Donatien »

In my opinion, it was a bit too much...it seriously hindered me from reading at times. I understand that it was necessary for the premise of the book, but it was overly excessive and may stop people from reading.
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

I am not really good at science stuff, so yeah, it was too complex for me. I understood some things though because Ron helped by being a bit confused too and she had to explain in simpler terms. The complexity of quantum physics didn't disturb my enjoyment of the book too much though.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I think the word 'complex' depends on other people. Some might find it's complex but others probably still understand it. I can understand some of it. But I also find it quite complex.
Nyasha Gogoma
Currently Reading: Mere Christianity
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyasha-gogoma.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nyasha Gogoma »

To be honest, I was able to follow the physics fairly well. I accepted the Planck intervals and even understood their implications. However, what I did not understand, and what I felt the author did not clarify was the exact correlation between the science and the machine. He spent so much time making Regina explain the concepts, and yet did not bother to explain exactly how she had harnessed the equations into a viable machine. :eusa-think:
Siphesihle Prince
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siphesihle-prince.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Siphesihle Prince »

Honestly, the explanations are not too difficult themselves, since most of the ideas are revisited concepts already well established and discussed in the science community.

The issue most likely arises with the jargon being used. More common words could have used to make the explanations sound less complex.
Wee Bee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wee-bee.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Wee Bee »

I think that this book s intention was to popularize science. Therefore, the first intention looks to be trying to explain the quantum physics definition.
I enjoyed the book and I really picked it up because I wanted to see how the concepts could be explained through literature. Of course, further to this, it is very intriguing to see the creative potential of scientific ideas for their use in new technology.
Sandeep Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandeep-moses.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Sandeep Moses »

Ohh gosh!! Yes, it was! I don't know why the author had to put that much science into a fiction book. This book would do better as a subject book rather than a fiction book. I found it too complex!
Asja Šabani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asja-sabani.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Asja Šabani »

I don't know much about physics, especially not about quantum physics and I didn't understand many of the concepts that were discussed in the book. However, I didn't mind reading these long sections of scientific discussions between Ron and Regina. For me, I somehow contributed to the dream-like atmosphere of the book.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I believe that this was a physics textbook, not so cleverly, disguised as a novel. The physics topics were difficult for me to understand in the first place and then Regina kept making them more complex with every conversation. It would have been much easier to follow and just as thought-provoking had the discussions of physics not been so complicated.
Aashu Chaudhary
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aashu-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Aashu Chaudhary »

I did enjoy them in beginning, but with the introduction of various types of constant and complicated terms, it become very hard for me to keep up. So, yes I go considered them very complicated. If it was not for the storyline, I would have ignored them completely.
Alet Van Tonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alet-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Alet Van Tonder »

While I didn't think the physics discussed were too complex, I felt that the theoretical discussions detracted and distracted from the story. In my opinion less theory would have made Tinewise a more palatable read.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

It depends a lot on the reader's knowledge. I read "hard" science fiction and scientific articles, so it wasn't a problem for me. On the other hand, I understand that for someone with no knowledge of quantum physics the topic might have been too complex.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Post by Andrada Madalina »

I did not find the subjects regarding physics too complex because I read other books on this subject and the discussions about Einstein's theories captivated me. I liked that the author illustrated useful explanations about isolated events and included various drawings of space isolines. Also, I think all the explanations about quantum physics were necessary for the book's purpose.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”