Were the Physics Topics Too Complex?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Were the Physics Topics Too Complex?

Post by Lucille27 »

I think the physics themes were too complex and intricate, and I wouldn't have minded that if they served a purpose. However, there are many heavy and dense concepts that work for nothing in the book. I mean, we could have skipped a so-detailed conversation and put the concepts in a more direct and plot-related fashion. This way seemed to be just a show-off of his knowledge.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 23:44 There are different subjects of physics present throughout the book.
Did you find the topics to be too complex for easy comprehension?
Were all the discussed topics in physics necessary to accomplish the purpose of the book?
Anything physics is too complex for me, lol. No but honestly I think there were some parts of the book that I had a hard time grasping but for the most part I think the physics was explained in an understandable manner even to people like me who honestly doesn't know much about the subject.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Jeanninegarfield
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanninegarfield.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Jeanninegarfield »

I thought the physics topics were too complex. The descriptions were so lengthy that I almost could not read the book through. I am not a science buff, but I do understand some physics. It was too in depth for me to even want to understand.
Ashley Cremer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-cremer.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Ashley Cremer »

I think they 100% were too complex. There were times when I wanted to skim through the physics jargon and get back to the main storyline. I don't think all of that would have been necessary to accomplish the overall ideas of the novel.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

Some were complex while a handful of them was just basic physics theories. However, to be sincere most were difficult to understand.
Noelle770
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noelle770.html
Latest Review: The Tattered Black Book by Lexy Duck

Post by Noelle770 »

jhnews wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 21:05 I found the science to be entirely too complex and pervasive. Robert could have cut out half of the conversations between Regina and Ron, and I wouldn't have missed a bit of the story. Towards the end, I had to force myself not to skip over their conversations because of how mind-numbing they had become.
I agree it was a bit complex. However I believe it was more the point of the book so cutting it out would have taken away from the authors purpose.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

I hate this subject: it is too complex. That was the main reason I didn't like the book so much.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
athurst123
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athurst123.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by athurst123 »

I do feel like there were a lot of different physics topics brought up in the book, but I do think they were all necessary. To me, there were some that were a lot more difficult to understand and I found myself reading certain parts multiple times, however, I felt they all contributed well to the overall storyline of the book.
Benyona Nanjala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benyona-nanjala.html
Latest Review: The Finesser by Patrice Brown

Post by Benyona Nanjala »

:evil2: A number of them were basics but l will say most of them need one to have a physicist's mind to understand.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

The complexity depends on the reader's knowledge, but for me, the comprehension of the physics theories is simple as I am an engineering student.
Chelsearoses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsearoses.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Chelsearoses »

I completely understand the need for technical and complex language due to the subject matter. That being said, there was a fair amount I didn't understand. There were theories and notions I could understand and follow enough of. But yes, there were some topics that were a little too complex. I feel like it is what it is and kind of was expected given what the book surrounds around.
"In every Heaven you'll find some Hell.And there's a welcome in each farewell.Life can be harsh the future strict, who would dare predict.So let's be happy, forever happy, completely happy. And a tiny bit sad."Happy/Sad-Addams Family Musical
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

The book incorporates some basic science theories like the Newton's. However, there were times I struggled to catch up on some physics themes like quantum. It still a mystery for me how awareness creates time. I found the explanations of some laws quite helpful, and I respect the author's decision to incorporate all the science lessons in this read
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'The human brain is designed to gather information about events that have already happened and make a prediction about the future, which he or she can then take advantage of - a kind of virtual time travel from the past to the future during the present.' I find the discussion on the topics of Physics between the protagonist Ron and his Physics professor Regina quite relevant and interesting in the story of the book! It inculcates a real interest in the subject within me and allows me to follow the topics of Physics that I would normally be unable to comprehend!
Daisy Deeh
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Daisy Deeh »

I just finished reviewing the book , some of the terms to me were too complex,im not a physics student.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I haven't taken a physics class yet, and while I like science, I don't usually immerse myself in physics. Still, I thought most of the topics were explained in an understandable way. It was only every once-in-awhile that I found myself a little lost and rereading a paragraph several times.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”