Living life to the fullest?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Living life to the fullest?

Post by JGretz-7 »

lavkathleen wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 23:55
HannahsReads wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 16:41 That's a really thought-provoking question. I suppose usually the purpose of scientific research is to share it and gain recognition and make the world better in some way. In that sense, Ron's quest was kind of circular; in a sense, he ended up with nothing, just how he started out. He gained a lot of secret knowledge, like a renaissance-era alchemist, but was he really happier in the end? I am not sure he ever truly found a life purpose for himself.
I love how the author ended it in a perfect loop, but you're right; it was anticlimactic. Maybe we're looking at it wrong? Maybe it's not the scientific discoveries that mattered? At the end, he ended up in the same place where he and Regina started—meeting a kid and mentoring and guiding them to reach their full potential.
My only argument to it being about the relationships and not the science is that the thoroughly explicit science explanations consumed to much of the book to make it all about the relationships. I do agree it was anticlimactic. I also agree that Ron never truly found his life's purpose.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

JGretz-7 wrote: 20 Nov 2020, 21:05
    lavkathleen wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 23:55
    HannahsReads wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 16:41 That's a really thought-provoking question. I suppose usually the purpose of scientific research is to share it and gain recognition and make the world better in some way. In that sense, Ron's quest was kind of circular; in a sense, he ended up with nothing, just how he started out. He gained a lot of secret knowledge, like a renaissance-era alchemist, but was he really happier in the end? I am not sure he ever truly found a life purpose for himself.
    I love how the author ended it in a perfect loop, but you're right; it was anticlimactic. Maybe we're looking at it wrong? Maybe it's not the scientific discoveries that mattered? At the end, he ended up in the same place where he and Regina started—meeting a kid and mentoring and guiding them to reach their full potential.
    My only argument to it being about the relationships and not the science is that the thoroughly explicit science explanations consumed to much of the book to make it all about the relationships. I do agree it was anticlimactic. I also agree that Ron never truly found his life's purpose.
    On the contrary, I believe Ron found his life's purpose. He was proud to give back to his community by teaching young kids on how to play chess. It was the pinnacle of his life inadequacy. He was able to find meaning in his actions. And as a child who went through hardships in foster homes, his kind heart gestures are not to be ignored.
    Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
    cydnas
    Currently Reading: The Raven and other poems
    Bookshelf Size: 19
    Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cydnas.html
    Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by cydnas »

I don't think it was a waste since Regina and Ron were both content with not publicizing their accomplishments. After all, some things are best kept under wraps. For Regina, it was not different. She felt more people knowing what she discovered would lead to knowledge falling in the wrong hands.
    Vine Michael
    Book of the Month Participant
    Currently Reading:
    Bookshelf Size: 85
    Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
    Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

Even if it didn't end well I think Ron didn't waste his time. The time you spend with the person you love are always precious moments you would take with you at the end of the relationship, however it ends. The memories of the the love they shared would be his and that is worth the time.
    Thea Frederick
    Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
    Bookshelf Size: 69
    Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
    Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

lavkathleen wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 03:07 Oh, wow.

They didn't share it with anyone else because of how dangerous it would be if it went to the wrong hands. I guess that's where it got wasted: how we simply cannot trust people to be kind and compassionate, and the fear this creates. But I wouldn't say Ron wasted his life. I think time is worth being spent with someone you love, whether it ends well or not. Also, if I'm going to be working with time machines with them, I don't care if I have to spend my whole life with that person. :lol:
    Hm, I like that. But it is sad, isn't it? We are so controlled by fear and relationships can be so insecure that sometimes we do not feel that it is safe to communicate something important, in case people abuse it.
    -Thea M. Frederick
    Intel
    Favorite Author: Sarah Dessen
    Favorite Book: The Hobbit
    Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
    Bookshelf Size: 28
    Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intel.html
    Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
    fav_author_id: 3879

Post by Intel »

If you find yourself content day to day, than it was a good waste of time. Wasting time can only be deemed by the feelings the characters held toward themselves in the end. For me it seems like the characters only confided in the few they deemed trustworthy. I don't think that is a waste, if anything it saves a lot of unnecessary drama.
    Arite Seki
    Currently Reading: The Alchemist
    Bookshelf Size: 75
    Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
    Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

They didn't share it with anyone else because of how dangerous it would be if it went to the wrong hands. I guess that's where it got wasted: how we simply cannot trust people to be kind and compassionate, and the fear this creates. But I wouldn't say Ron wasted his life. I think time is worth being spent with someone you love, whether it ends well or not. Also, if I'm going to be working with time machines with them, I don't care if I have to spend my whole life with that person. :lol:
    I definitely agree. I think the "worthiness" of one's life can only be self-defined. I believe that if he was spending that time with someone he loved, then that feeling would make the time worth being spent regardless of what happens
    ashleymarie310
    Currently Reading: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
    Bookshelf Size: 519

Post by ashleymarie310 »

I don't think it's possible to objectively say whether it was a waste of their time and lives. Different people get fulfillment from different things. In this case, it seems like Ron got that sense of fulfillment from spending time with someone he had a genuine connection and love for. That doesn't seem wasteful to me.
    Devika Rajesh
    Favorite Book: Void
    Currently Reading:
    Bookshelf Size: 22
    Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devika-rajesh.html
    Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
    Reading Device: B076HWYMJQ

Post by Devika Rajesh »

I really don't think that Ron wasted him time. Because he was with someone he loves. And in the end, it's what matters.
    Sushan Ekanayake
    Official Reviewer Representative
    Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
    Bookshelf Size: 407
    Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
    Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
    Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

theskillsgirl wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 17:57 Regina was obsessed with her theory, “awareness creates time.” She successfully proved that it did. But she never shared it with anyone but Ron. Did she waste her life? Did Ron waste his life being so infatuated with her?
    Definitely Ron didn't waste his life. He spent time together with the ones he loves. On the other hand, Regina had a reason to not reveal her finding to the whole world. But in her eyes, I think she achieved what she yearned for
    Sushan Ekanayake
    Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

I agree of what you believe about Ron's life. Yes, he lived with the one he loved, for the maximum extent that it go. Regina, she could not trust others but Ron. Trusting a one you loves doesn't make your life go wasted
    Sushan Ekanayake

Life is not always about finding a purpose. If you can live happily that is called life. And I believe Ron did that. He could live in the company that he loves to and additionally could gain some knowledge, which was never a purpose of his life at the very beginning
    Sushan Ekanayake

EnobongGold wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 18:32 I wouldn't say Ron wasted his life, he was with someone he loved. Whether it ended well or not at that particular time he was fulfilled
    Agreed. Life can be short, but living it for the fufullest is enjoying what you have. Ron did that with Regina in the limited time he had. On the other hand Regina too lived happily with Ron though she knew the end was close. Apparently she had no intention to reveal her findings, so she too did not waste her life
    Sushan Ekanayake

valeriejane wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 19:36 I don't believe she wasted her life. I tend to think she is not dead but comes back after she is healed in the future. There is no valid reason for this, but I like the idea that she went into a time machine for a purpose.
    That is quite a nice and a positive idea. To see that I think that we have to wish for a sequelae. Anyway she willingly entered it and it was the life that she expected. How someone can look from outside and judge whether it was wasted or not. Maybe she was fulfilled with her life
    Sushan Ekanayake

jhnews wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 21:02 I think that Regina could have done something more to secure her science for the future. They were just beginning to accomplish a goal to get to the point where Regina could safely reveal her findings, and then, she throws it all away. It did feel like a waste of time with all the work with building the dude ranch, transporting the equipment there, and coming up with a cover story. All of it ended with Ron not knowing how to do any of the experiments and having a massive work load to cover up everything they had ever done together.
    Maybe she was frustrated at the end. She could not trust anyone to reveal her findings. So her work might have been wasted. But all that work lead both of them for some quality time together, and that is definitely not a waste of time, and their lives

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”