Living life to the fullest?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
theskillsgirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theskillsgirl.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Living life to the fullest?

Post by theskillsgirl »

Regina was obsessed with her theory, “awareness creates time.” She successfully proved that it did. But she never shared it with anyone but Ron. Did she waste her life? Did Ron waste his life being so infatuated with her?
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Oh, wow.

They didn't share it with anyone else because of how dangerous it would be if it went to the wrong hands. I guess that's where it got wasted: how we simply cannot trust people to be kind and compassionate, and the fear this creates. But I wouldn't say Ron wasted his life. I think time is worth being spent with someone you love, whether it ends well or not. Also, if I'm going to be working with time machines with them, I don't care if I have to spend my whole life with that person. :lol:
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

That's a really thought-provoking question. I suppose usually the purpose of scientific research is to share it and gain recognition and make the world better in some way. In that sense, Ron's quest was kind of circular; in a sense, he ended up with nothing, just how he started out. He gained a lot of secret knowledge, like a renaissance-era alchemist, but was he really happier in the end? I am not sure he ever truly found a life purpose for himself.
EnobongGold
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by EnobongGold »

I wouldn't say Ron wasted his life, he was with someone he loved. Whether it ended well or not at that particular time he was fulfilled
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

I don't believe she wasted her life. I tend to think she is not dead but comes back after she is healed in the future. There is no valid reason for this, but I like the idea that she went into a time machine for a purpose.
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

HannahsReads wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 16:41 That's a really thought-provoking question. I suppose usually the purpose of scientific research is to share it and gain recognition and make the world better in some way. In that sense, Ron's quest was kind of circular; in a sense, he ended up with nothing, just how he started out. He gained a lot of secret knowledge, like a renaissance-era alchemist, but was he really happier in the end? I am not sure he ever truly found a life purpose for himself.
I love how the author ended it in a perfect loop, but you're right; it was anticlimactic. Maybe we're looking at it wrong? Maybe it's not the scientific discoveries that mattered? At the end, he ended up in the same place where he and Regina started—meeting a kid and mentoring and guiding them to reach their full potential.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

HannahsReads wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 16:41 That's a really thought-provoking question. I suppose usually the purpose of scientific research is to share it and gain recognition and make the world better in some way. In that sense, Ron's quest was kind of circular; in a sense, he ended up with nothing, just how he started out. He gained a lot of secret knowledge, like a renaissance-era alchemist, but was he really happier in the end? I am not sure he ever truly found a life purpose for himself.
Ron was never into the deep conversations with Regina. There are numerous times he contemplates about how he could avoid those conversations. I believe the only reason he sticks around Regina is because of what he gets in return. He was also secretive on what he really felt about Regina, which wasn't a good thing.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

EnobongGold wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 18:32 I wouldn't say Ron wasted his life, he was with someone he loved. Whether it ended well or not at that particular time he was fulfilled
Very true, he might not have achieved everything he wanted but he appreciated the little he got. From a tender age, and living in foster care, he must have formed the habit of accepting life as it is.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

lavkathleen wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 23:55
I love how the author ended it in a perfect loop, but you're right; it was anticlimactic. Maybe we're looking at it wrong? Maybe it's not the scientific discoveries that mattered? At the end, he ended up in the same place where he and Regina started—meeting a kid and mentoring and guiding them to reach their full potential.
Ron learned a lot from Regina. From one perspective you might presume he had failed to outgrow the lessons he received. Yet on a different perspective, he had changed into someone who cared more for his community. He had embraced change and sought a different direction. Robert culminates the narrative with Ron's victory of mentoring young kids into one of his interests and expertise.
jhnews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhnews.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by jhnews »

I think that Regina could have done something more to secure her science for the future. They were just beginning to accomplish a goal to get to the point where Regina could safely reveal her findings, and then, she throws it all away. It did feel like a waste of time with all the work with building the dude ranch, transporting the equipment there, and coming up with a cover story. All of it ended with Ron not knowing how to do any of the experiments and having a massive work load to cover up everything they had ever done together.
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

jhnews wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 21:02 I think that Regina could have done something more to secure her science for the future. They were just beginning to accomplish a goal to get to the point where Regina could safely reveal her findings, and then, she throws it all away. It did feel like a waste of time with all the work with building the dude ranch, transporting the equipment there, and coming up with a cover story. All of it ended with Ron not knowing how to do any of the experiments and having a massive work load to cover up everything they had ever done together.
She didn't throw it all away on a whim, though. She was dying—and what's a better way to go than try one last experiment? Ron's no physicist anyway; I doubt he could continue their project and make more progress on his own. But you're right, it was such a waste to destroy it all. It was disappointing, since I was expecting that to be the heart of the book.
Kathleen Lavador

Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

jhnews wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 21:02 I think that Regina could have done something more to secure her science for the future. They were just beginning to accomplish a goal to get to the point where Regina could safely reveal her findings, and then, she throws it all away. It did feel like a waste of time with all the work with building the dude ranch, transporting the equipment there, and coming up with a cover story. All of it ended with Ron not knowing how to do any of the experiments and having a massive work load to cover up everything they had ever done together.
I chose to stay optimistic on why Regina forgot all about the big dream. She was carrying a lot of garbage with her. That garbage includes, frustrations, fatigue, and also what Robert didn't reveal -her insecurities. Regina was empathetic to others but I felt she never took time to heal. She was ever watching out for Ron but never took time to work on herself. In fact, I'd say she was a hero on the outside but a wreck in the inside.
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

valeriejane wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 19:36 I don't believe she wasted her life. I tend to think she is not dead but comes back after she is healed in the future. There is no valid reason for this, but I like the idea that she went into a time machine for a purpose.
She did go there for a purpose, although some people interpreted it as plain suicide. I think it's admirable that you're holding on to that hope. :D I'm not brave enough to think that; I'm already comforted with the fact that she did her best and went into the time machine and did the ultimate experiment of all—physically time travelling herself.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 14:20 I chose to stay optimistic on why Regina forgot all about the big dream. She was carrying a lot of garbage with her. That garbage includes, frustrations, fatigue, and also what Robert didn't reveal -her insecurities. Regina was empathetic to others but I felt she never took time to heal. She was ever watching out for Ron but never took time to work on herself. In fact, I'd say she was a hero on the outside but a wreck in the inside.
I agree. I wish we saw how much she struggled mentally, how she dealt with the accidental death of her co-worker, her radiation sickness, her frustrations with her work, etc. I wish she developed into someone who's to learn how to take care of themselves, and let others take care of her. That character development would've been satisfying to read.
Kathleen Lavador

Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

lavkathleen wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 03:00
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 14:20 I chose to stay optimistic on why Regina forgot all about the big dream. She was carrying a lot of garbage with her. That garbage includes, frustrations, fatigue, and also what Robert didn't reveal -her insecurities. Regina was empathetic to others but I felt she never took time to heal. She was ever watching out for Ron but never took time to work on herself. In fact, I'd say she was a hero on the outside but a wreck in the inside.
I agree. I wish we saw how much she struggled mentally, how she dealt with the accidental death of her co-worker, her radiation sickness, her frustrations with her work, etc. I wish she developed into someone who's to learn how to take care of themselves, and let others take care of her. That character development would've been satisfying to read.
If Robert Leet had chosen to take it to that extent, then it would have made the book longer. I'd suggest that if the book was to be edited: they'd do away with some of the physics topics and build on the idea you have given. Otherwise, the lack of Regina's struggle and her solutions doesn't make Timewise less enjoyable. :P

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”