Living life to the fullest?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Re: Living life to the fullest?

Post by Roy Nick »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 04:58
HannahsReads wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 16:41 That's a really thought-provoking question. I suppose usually the purpose of scientific research is to share it and gain recognition and make the world better in some way. In that sense, Ron's quest was kind of circular; in a sense, he ended up with nothing, just how he started out. He gained a lot of secret knowledge, like a renaissance-era alchemist, but was he really happier in the end? I am not sure he ever truly found a life purpose for himself.
Ron was never into the deep conversations with Regina. There are numerous times he contemplates about how he could avoid those conversations. I believe the only reason he sticks around Regina is because of what he gets in return. He was also secretive on what he really felt about Regina, which wasn't a good thing.
I also think there are instances Ron sat with Regina just to gain what she could offer. Additionally, in my opinion, I believe that from time to time, Ron was in Russo's company to admire her charming physique. I couldn't understand why Ron didn't say 'No' when he didn't want the lengthy conversations that Russo engaged him in.
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:

Post by Roy Nick »

lavkathleen wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 02:51
jhnews wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 21:02 I think that Regina could have done something more to secure her science for the future. They were just beginning to accomplish a goal to get to the point where Regina could safely reveal her findings, and then, she throws it all away. It did feel like a waste of time with all the work with building the dude ranch, transporting the equipment there, and coming up with a cover story. All of it ended with Ron not knowing how to do any of the experiments and having a massive work load to cover up everything they had ever done together.
She didn't throw it all away on a whim, though. She was dying—and what's a better way to go than try one last experiment? Ron's no physicist anyway; I doubt he could continue their project and make more progress on his own. But you're right, it was such a waste to destroy it all. It was disappointing, since I was expecting that to be the heart of the book.
I have to agree that I was also disappointed when Ron was left with a vast work load to handle all by himself; whilst he wasn't even duly qualified.Regina's death process(here's a spoiler) affected me the most; I literary shed tears.
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:

Post by Roy Nick »

lavkathleen wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 02:50
valeriejane wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 19:36 I don't believe she wasted her life. I tend to think she is not dead but comes back after she is healed in the future. There is no valid reason for this, but I like the idea that she went into a time machine for a purpose.
She did go there for a purpose, although some people interpreted it as plain suicide. I think it's admirable that you're holding on to that hope. :D I'm not brave enough to think that; I'm already comforted with the fact that she did her best and went into the time machine and did the ultimate experiment of all—physically time travelling herself.
Regina created the time machine herself. It is only fair to say that she used herself to prove its authenticity.
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:

Post by Roy Nick »

lavkathleen wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 03:00
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 14:20 I chose to stay optimistic on why Regina forgot all about the big dream. She was carrying a lot of garbage with her. That garbage includes, frustrations, fatigue, and also what Robert didn't reveal -her insecurities. Regina was empathetic to others but I felt she never took time to heal. She was ever watching out for Ron but never took time to work on herself. In fact, I'd say she was a hero on the outside but a wreck in the inside.
I agree. I wish we saw how much she struggled mentally, how she dealt with the accidental death of her co-worker, her radiation sickness, her frustrations with her work, etc. I wish she developed into someone who's to learn how to take care of themselves, and let others take care of her. That character development would've been satisfying to read.
I have to admit that the more intense Regina's health deteriorated, the more I stayed glued to the book. Brutal? yes, but it's the truth. I anticipated her time machine to save her, but the end goes without saying.
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:

Post by Roy Nick »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 05:54
lavkathleen wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 03:00
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 14:20 I chose to stay optimistic on why Regina forgot all about the big dream. She was carrying a lot of garbage with her. That garbage includes, frustrations, fatigue, and also what Robert didn't reveal -her insecurities. Regina was empathetic to others but I felt she never took time to heal. She was ever watching out for Ron but never took time to work on herself. In fact, I'd say she was a hero on the outside but a wreck in the inside.
I agree. I wish we saw how much she struggled mentally, how she dealt with the accidental death of her co-worker, her radiation sickness, her frustrations with her work, etc. I wish she developed into someone who's to learn how to take care of themselves, and let others take care of her. That character development would've been satisfying to read.
If Robert Leet had chosen to take it to that extent, then it would have made the book longer. I'd suggest that if the book was to be edited: they'd do away with some of the physics topics and build on the idea you have given. Otherwise, the lack of Regina's struggle and her solutions doesn't make Timewise less enjoyable. :P
I wished Robert Leet replaced some of the physics elucidations with Russo's and Ron's struggles and success, impacts and authenticity of the time machine, health deterioration and healing. These, and other factors considered would have made the publication more enjoyable. Instead, we have an unsolved mystery of "if the time machine actually worked".
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

The answer is both yes and no. I think that maybe we didn't understand what the author did there. But both of them found each other, and that is all that matters.
Urbashi Basu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ub-10.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Urbashi Basu »

I guess that would depend on the definition of fullest. Ron at some point 'had it all' going by needs of existence. That however, did not give him a purpose in life. By the end though one wonders if he's found his purpose he does invest time in giving it back to society. So in some sense, his time with Regina helped him see this.
The same goes for Regina too. She starts with Ron to keep the cycle of kindness/ purpose moving forward.
K+SQUARE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-square.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by K+SQUARE »

I think life is based on perspectives, therefore I don't think Ron and Regina wasted their lives. I feel what truly matters is how well they lived their lives and whether they truly felt fulfilled after everything, whether they revealed their findings or not.
Njokime
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njokime.html
Latest Review: Homo Technica by Stephan Collina

Post by Njokime »

Ron being with someone he loved, I do not think it was a waste of time. he was fulfilled then and I think that is all that matters.
Undertaker5squad
Currently Reading: Henry the Sixth
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-undertaker5squad.html
Latest Review: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound by Richard L Haight

Post by Undertaker5squad »

I love how the author ended it in a perfect loop, but you're right; it was anticlimactic. Maybe we're looking at it wrong? Maybe it's not the scientific discoveries that mattered? At the end, he ended up in the same place where he and Regina started—meeting a kid and mentoring and guiding them to reach their full potential.
[/quote]

I think that you're on to something there. Yeah, if we can benefit the world with our knowledge that's great, but there may be legitimate reasons why we can't. But the point isn't what we know, but what we do. So that human help they extend to that kid is worth a whole lot more than any scientific discovery per se.
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

I think Regina was obssessed with something she was passionate about and she took it to the very last of the consequences. I don't believe this is a waste of life, but something that is worth searching for. However, Ron does not change and only lives through the dreams of others. I don't know if I share this second approach to life though.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

theskillsgirl wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 17:57 Regina was obsessed with her theory, “awareness creates time.” She successfully proved that it did. But she never shared it with anyone but Ron. Did she waste her life? Did Ron waste his life being so infatuated with her?
I don't think Ron wasted his life being so infatuated with Regina. Love is... complicated? And I don't see the exploration of Ron's feelings a waste. (I'm a romantic, lol) As for Regina I think she's a smart woman and very ambitious. I don't think she wasted her life.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

To me, living life to the fullest specifically entails doing what you love most. As such, since Regina and Ron loved what they did then they obviously did live 'life to the fullest.'
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

Regina's goal was to find things out for knowledge's sake. To her, she succeeded in her goal. I suppose the real question here is whether or not that was a good goal. I personally think it is. Ideally, this goal would lead to helpful information that can help the world. In her case, it did not and I think she made the right decision keeping it a secret. A time-machine could be dangerous. I don't think Ron's life was wasted either.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
plnjimenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plnjimenez.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by plnjimenez »

From Regina's point of view, if she thinks that what she did is the right thing, then I don't think she would see her life to be wasted. From Ron's point of view, as long as he thinks that his feelings are worth having, then he wouldn't think of his life to be wasted either.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”