What's your favorite quote from Timewise? Why?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Re: What's your favorite quote from Timewise? Why?

Post by Vine Michael »

My favorite quote from Timewise is "'If a subject couldn't be explained clearly to a layman, it wasn't meaningfully understood by the expert either'. This completely true.
strange07
Currently Reading: Tomboy
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strange07.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by strange07 »

My favourite quote is

"If a subject couldn't be explained clearly to a layman, it wasn't meaningfully understood by the expert either."
I found this quote to be a universal fact. It is absolutely true. E can't explain to others what we ourselves haven't understood.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

Melexa wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 19:37 One of my favourite lines in Timewise is:

'If a subject couldn't  be explained clearly to a layman, it wasn't meaningfully understood by the expert either'.

I
Ooh, I like that. Very thoughtful. I really takes understanding material to another level.
-Thea M. Frederick
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

strange07 wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 19:28 My favourite quote is

"If a subject couldn't be explained clearly to a layman, it wasn't meaningfully understood by the expert either."
I found this quote to be a universal fact. It is absolutely true. E can't explain to others what we ourselves haven't understood.
This is also my favorite quote. It is practically true. To be able to explain a subject in the easiest way possible is sometimes tricky. It requires a deep understanding of that subject. Regina's expertise in the physics field is what set the stage for the thorough physics topics.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

valeriejane wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 19:45 “One of Newton’s best-known laws is ‘For every action, there is an equal reaction’—but that first action is always a reaction to a previous action. The way I describe it is that every action is the result of awareness of a previous action.”

Leet, Robert. Timewise (p. 55). Porter Field Publishing LLC. Kindle Edition.
I also loved this as it has been a very important and first law if Newton. I like how it was interpreted such that to every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction; now, I had to ponder on the face the the first action is actually a reaction that happened from a previous event and I found out it was a continuous action and reaction pair.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
kalgaonkarsnehal
Favorite Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Favorite Book: Wish You Well
Currently Reading: Connect the Dots
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalgaonkarsnehal.html
Latest Review: Effective R.U.L.E. by satish shitut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 15638

Post by kalgaonkarsnehal »

'If a subject couldn't be explained clearly to a layman, it wasn't meaningfully understood by the expert either' - was my favorite quote.
In my days at the university, we were often asked to explain our project as if explaining it to a 6-year-old. When you do anything like that- it becomes very difficult to spew nonsense :)
“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.” ― Isaac Asimov :techie-studyinggray: :D
Chali
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chali.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chali »

'If a subject couldn't be explained clearly to a layman, it wasn't meaningfully understood by the expert either'.

This was my favourite quote as it cuts across all disciplines.
T_Tobbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-tobbs.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by T_Tobbs »

Nwaogazie Goodness wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 12:48 This quote by Cheryl struck a chord in me. “If you simply learn to recognize what you see, you’ll only see what you already know. The trick is to recognize what you don’t know, to see what you don’t recognize. Then you can begin to learn.”
This taught me that paying attention to details is vital to effective learning.
Wow, I don't remember this (I read the book like a month ago or so), but this is so apt. I'm including it into my book of quotes.
T_Tobbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-tobbs.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by T_Tobbs »

“I’ve always found the pursuit of perfection shows a profound lack of imagination, as well as a misunderstanding of reality."
Regina said this when she met Ron again after his break-up with Cheryl (I think). I really like this quote, because reality isn't perfect. People chase the illusion of perfection so much that they forget to just breathe. Most of the beautiful experiences we'll ever have aren't and will not be perfect, besides, perfect is boring and stiffling.
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Lyric »

I find the following quote so fascinating!

I must say this quote stands out from the rest (in my Opinion) Because it implicates facts.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :no-spoil:
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

I can continue telling individuals that for each activity, there's a response. it's appropriate, all things considered's, circumstances as well. According to one of Newton's most popular laws is 'For each activity, there is an equivalent response'— yet that first activity is consistently a response to a past activity. The manner in which I depict it is that each activity is the consequence of consciousness of a past activity."
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I enjoyed several of the scattered quotes throughout this clever novel: “Sometimes one needs to let a situation percolate...” because rushing to judgment or impulsive conclusions can often lead to disastrous consequences, so this recommendation served as a reminder to practice intentional patience. I also liked “each moment possesses an embedded memory of the entire history of the universe...” because it paired well with all of the philosophical postulates that came together to make this publication so unique!
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

While there are many quotes I can choose from, this one from Cheryl stood out the most: “If you simply learn to recognize what you see, you’ll only see what you already know. The trick is to recognize what you don’t know, to see what you don’t recognize. Then you can begin to learn" (p.23). I enjoyed Cheryl's character and how she reminds me of our beautiful world and how to appreciate nature.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

'If a subject couldn't be explained clearly to a layman, it wasn't meaningfully understood by the expert either'
This was my favorite line in the book. I found it a bit ironic because there were a lot of aspects in Timewise I couldn't understand so I felt it sort of suggested that the author himself didn't understand it all that well either.
glubglub200
Currently Reading: The Giver
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glubglub200.html
Latest Review: Mr. Germ by Itzel Machado

Post by glubglub200 »

JGretz-7 wrote: 20 Nov 2020, 21:17 One of Cheryl's struck the teacher in me, "If you simply learn to recognize what you see, you'll only see what you already know. The trick is to recognize what you don't know, to see what you don't recognize. Then you can begin to learn."

This is such a great quote and it seems to be a top favorite. Thanks for pointing it out.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”