Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Re: Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

I agree, I felt it was not necessary and was quite sad. I felt that there was a sense of loneliness from Ron. I did, however, think it might have been related to the concept of time that people were getting on with their lives and he was staying in the same place. It was depressing though. I also couldn't understand why Regina and Ron seemed to love each other but never really develop that into a marriage or something
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

Being involved in multiple relationships one after the other can come across as insincere, in real life and fiction. It insinuates that person/character is not okay with being alone and implicates that he/she is participatory in A-frame relationships. As a reader, this is a turn-off for me.
Isabellah Cave
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Isabellah Cave »

Ron having multiple relationships adds onto his character. Whether it is right or wrong is a question of ethics that a lot of people ignore. Exploration is a natural thing and his having multiple relationships brings the curious mind into a world of those possibilities for a reader.
angelanikkicea
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelanikkicea.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by angelanikkicea »

I don't think it affected his character negatively. I also don't characterise him as a womaniser. Some of his past relationships just did not work, so he had to move on and continue with his life.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

I enjoyed how Ron went from relationship to relationship not that it’s something I’d do but for me it just made Ron feel more alive and more human which I prefer than if the author tried to make Ron more gentle or responsible or perfect, no one is perfect everyone has flaws and sometimes giving a character flaws makes them better.
Carina Jordaan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carina-jordaan.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Carina Jordaan »

Perhaps the multiple relationships was not intended to create character growth, but instead reveal Ron's dependence on other people. Or maybe he was searching for something that he thought was in the relationships, but moved on once he realized it was not fulfilling.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I don’t know why Ron has to have so many relationships but I also liked his character in the book. It didn’t make me NOT like him- many relationships does not define one as a bad person
Kathryn Collins
Favorite Author: Mark Leon Collins
Currently Reading: Inquirer's Bible
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-collins.html
Latest Review: Poems About Things That Mattered Most by Bob Dowell
fav_author_id: 196676

Post by Kathryn Collins »

maiiii_maii wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 20:59 In the story, Ron has one relationship after the other. On my part, it dampened my interest in the story. I don't think one needs multiple relationships in order to bring out the best in him. What do you guys think?
Not only what you said, but none of the relationships were really built upon and seemed to only serve to make him look like a guy who was desirable to many. This was a put off to me.
Manalee Ghadi
Currently Reading: The Promise
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manalee-ghadi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Manalee Ghadi »

I suppose the author just wanted to show how fickle-minded Ron is. It's a part of his character, he likes chess today but prefers poker tomorrow. The author I suppose just wanted to depict him as a guy who isn't rooted enough. It did not really take my interest away from the story though.
Sudasha Donatien
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sudasha-donatien.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Sudasha Donatien »

While I can sympathize with your feelings, Ron's different relationships did not bother me. In fact, most people have a few relationships throughout their regular life span before they may settle down, etc. There were many other things that I disliked about Ron, but this was not one of them.
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

Phrasing it as multiple relationships makes it seem like he went into these relationships at the same time. We should bear in mind that this book covers his life from when he was a teenager, before college, got into college, post-graduate period, and his adult years.

Yeah, he did sleep around a bit, but it's quite unfair to make it seem like he had numerous relationships at the same time when there were just three women he actually slept with in the book, Cheryl, Sheila, and Louise. Then, of course, he had a crush on Regina that didn't lead anywhere. We should also consider how some of us will probably not date only three people from our teenage years till we're well into adulthood.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I don't think Ron has those relationships because he wants to bring the best out of him. I think it's because he was just attracted to the women he met. I know why are you lost interest in the novel. But it's the author that should make the story much more interesting.
Maggie Johnson 2
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-johnson-2.html
Latest Review: Graham's Folly by Miguel Gutierrez

Post by Maggie Johnson 2 »

I thought each relationship brought something new to the story. I'm usually not a fan of reading about romantic relationships (unless I'm reading a romance novel), but in this case I really enjoyed it. Each character was unique and helped steer Ron's life in a different direction.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am not concerned with his multiple relationships. I am concerned, however, with each of them deepening so quickly. There was not one instance, aside from Regina' that being together didn’t go from platonic to not in record, at least for me, time.
Aashu Chaudhary
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aashu-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Aashu Chaudhary »

I think the multiple relationships were the one thing that help him get through the book. However, after his first relationship, there was not much discussion on chemistry. But I was very impressed by the author's candid way of expressing his feelings for her mentor. I was also impressed who Ron was just Ron after some time that he and Regina can never be physically relationship.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”