Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Re: Do you like how Ron has had multiple relationships? Why or why not?

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Personally , I was turned off by this. I ended up not finishing the book.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I think the author just wrote Ron with multiple relationships because that's often realistic. I don't agree with Ron's multiple partners in a moral sense, and it didn't really add much to the story, but I don't really think it was supposed to.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

Melexa wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 15:13 I don't think the intention of the writer was for those multiple relationships to bring out the best in Ron. The writer might have designed Ron's character that way to simply depict life's realities; not everyone finds true love at first instance. Sometimes, we go in and out of relationships before we finally find the one that completes us.
That is so true. we cant even find clothes that best match our personality on first attempt. So it is very much possible that we might not find the best partner for ourselves at the very first instance.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

In my opinion, the multiple relationships take an important role in Ron's character development. Besides, I didn't think there were too many relationships.
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

I think this question is subjective. Everyone will see it differently. As for me, relationships should be simple and commitment based. Still, Ron's multiple love affairs didn't greatly numb my enjoyment of the story.
plnjimenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plnjimenez.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by plnjimenez »

I am not in favor of multiple relationships at all. Thus, this being the setup decreases my interest. If however, this is integral to a character's development, then I'd keep reading.
Muladan
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Inside the Mind of a Successful CEO
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muladan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Muladan »

I didn't like it because it seems that Ron was having all those relationships for his benefit which isn't supposed to be the case
jeanmtdb
Favorite Book: Devil Among Us
Currently Reading: The Dragons of Chiroptera
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanmtdb.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jeanmtdb »

The fact that Ron had a number of relationships didn't matter much to me. The type of relationship he had at any time reflected his frame of mind at that particular time. He was never cold or abusive, he was a partner for whichever woman it was at that time. As a result of his involvement with them, he grew. His relationships only gave some depth to his otherwise shallow character.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

Although it is more realistic to go in and out of relationships nowadays I do agree that it was a downside. I always reference a character from Stargate called Daniel Jackson who was always falling in and out of love even while he was looking for his lost wife?!
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

It didn't bother me that Ron didn't find "true love" the first (or second) time he tried. I think it's quite natural to have multiple relationships throughout one's life. In fact, I find the opposite somewhat corny and unrealistic: in so many stories, the protagonist meets someone who turns out to be their one true love for life. I'm not saying it never happens that way, but that's certainly not that usual.
Kyhm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyhm.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kyhm »

I didn't like it. Ron admitted in the story that although he's married to Sheila, he still had some love feelings for Regina.
Olgamiell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olgamiell »

I think his relationships made Ron more human. I don't think there were too many of them, as the action covers many years. Maybe his behavior towards Sheila was not quite fair, but I think this thread added certain realism to the story. As if it wasn't just chess and math for Ron, but also everyday life.
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

Dominik_G wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 03:36 It didn't bother me that Ron didn't find "true love" the first (or second) time he tried. I think it's quite natural to have multiple relationships throughout one's life. In fact, I find the opposite somewhat corny and unrealistic: in so many stories, the protagonist meets someone who turns out to be their one true love for life. I'm not saying it never happens that way, but that's certainly not that usual.
Very well said! In many books, the protagonist rapidly meets his/her loved one which is too predictable and unrealistic. Of course, it could happen once in a while in real-life but having more relationships is also very normal. It's even more interesting reading about the protagonist's relationships and wondering which will be his true one.
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
Dabrielle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dabrielle.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Dabrielle »

Ron was a character who grew and developed throughout the novel. One way in which this was done was through the many relationships he had and especially what he learned from each of them. These relationships did not undermine my view of Ron, instead, they were meaningful and therefore added value to Ron's life. They also served to portray Ron as a real-to-life character, prone to making mistakes like anyone else.
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

The number of relationships that Ron had was pretty normal. The only relationship that bothered me was the one he had with Cheryl. I just felt she was too old for him. As far as his relationship with Regina goes, I am glad the author did not include a romantic relationship there. She was his mentor, and them having a sexual relationship would have been cringy, and the novel would have lost its appeal.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”