Which parts are realistic, and which parts are not

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Which parts are realistic, and which parts are not

Post by lavkathleen »

When I was in school, our teachers would make us watch sci-fi films and challenge us to find the scenes that didn't make sense, scientifically speaking.

Does anyone know which part of the theories and experiments in the book didn't make sense? I'm not an expert on physics so I have zero ideas, but I'm really interested to know how far the author reached to make this realistic.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I guess the concept of future prediction may seem not so easy to believe, but the author has explained it in the context of quantum physics very well. As per the author's imagination that he presented in this book: time keeps on moving and we are never in the present but it's just the limitation of our mind that prevents us from understanding the concept of time which is never a constant phenomenon. I was drawn into this well-explained concept of science, (or maybe science fiction), by the author.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

According to the writer's creative mind that he introduced in this book: time continues moving and we are never in the present yet it's simply the impediment of our psyche that keeps us from understanding the idea of time which is never a steady wonder. I was brought into this very much clarified idea of science, (or possibly sci-fi), by the creator.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Fozia RYK wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 04:23 According to the writer's creative mind that he introduced in this book: time continues moving and we are never in the present yet it's simply the impediment of our psyche that keeps us from understanding the idea of time which is never a steady wonder.
Like many obscure scientific concepts, things like dark matter and string theory will always leave room for further research and discussion. Awareness, perception, simultaneous predictions, symmetrical expansion, dimensional perspectives, and virtual time travel are all "relative" concepts worth further exploration. This is precisely what drives THEORETICAL PHYSICISTS to keep asking questions and searching for answers. Some psyches simply possess the capacity to think further outside the box than most people. Wondrous indeed!
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Since it was a novel based on quantum physics theories, I thought there would for sure be a direct mention of Schrödinger’s (obvious) cat! I was honestly surprised the famous feline didn't walk across the pages or burrow into the plot somewhere, but I respect the author for creatively including a humorous snippet involving Ron’s fingertip instead. It's entertaining when fantasy and reality merge in a way that leaves us wondering if a tiptoe through time could, in fact, happen precisely as described. Talented authors are able to bend our sense of reality in believable ways, and I think this writer did just that.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

The author explained physics very well, but when we talk about the future, there is no right answer. Our imagination is unlimited here.
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

I think there are many complex situations in the book, but are explained in a way that it seems to be logic. Also, one of the biggest achievements, in my opinion, is showing that even if the theory seems exciting, in reality it is very limited and that's why their time-jumps are so small. Narratively this does not seem very fun or good, but it is accurate.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

If there were holes in the scientific theories/explanations, I didn't pick up on them. I thought everything was very logically explained.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

Generally, some of the scientific theories weren't realistic. On the other hand, the most realistic part was the premise whereby Regina promised Ron paychecks in exchange for optimal academic grades from him.
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

The author used quantum physics theory to present the concept of future time to make the sci-fi plot more realistic. Yes, time is a live entity and keeps moving, whereas we, as our mind sees it, never remain in the present i.e. stationary. After all, it's a creative mind!
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michele H »

This is a sci-fi/fantasy, so I’m not sure why this question is relevant. I will say that given the genre, I was surprised at how much of the story was quite realistic. I found myself drawn to the realistic parts of the story. I think I had a difficult time connecting with the non-realistic portions mostly because of the excessive, high-level physics discussions.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

I have not studied quantum physics so I can't say if there are flaws in the book or not
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

If there were holes in the scientific theories/explanations, I didn't pick up on them. I thought everything was very logically explained.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Nicky Rita
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicky-rita.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nicky Rita »

I don't believe this book contains any unrealistic elements. Because quantum physics is a subject that has yet to be solved, all of these scenes are relatable in real life.
Cat pill35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cat-pill35.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Cat pill35 »

I failed to notice any flaws in the scientific explanations or theories. Everything, in my opinion, was explained very logically.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”