Shipping time!

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Re: Shipping time!

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

JGretz-7 wrote: 20 Nov 2020, 21:22
Melexa wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 19:30
lavkathleen wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 03:51

It was unclear if she felt that way, though. What do you think? Also, they met when Ron was a teenager. My brain is just screaming 'pedophilia'. :shifty:
Exactly! I thought I was the only one having that reaction to a teenage Ron having eyes for Regina who was more than twice his age at th time.
Yes, Regina played a big role in his life, but when it comes to matters of the heart, I wasnt rooting for Ron to end up with her.... I mean, they're generations apart!
I totally agree. I felt that if there relationship had become physical, I wouldn't have been a fan. It would have completely changed my image of Regina and just made the book 'icky'. I can't think of a better descriptive word to describe the feeling. There were too many stalker type descriptions in the beginning anyway that made me wonder about ulterior motives.
I'm glad that Robert Leet never spoiled the fun early on the plot. I also wouldn't have enjoyed if Ron was involved in a relationship with Regina. I wouldn't have been able to read through it as a hypothetical idea. I believe it's part of the reason Mr. Leet kept it that way.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Swirliegirlie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swirliegirlie.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Swirliegirlie »

I feel like the author really wants you to see Ron and Regina together and i definitely was expecting this to happen at least once in the book. But I am impressed that he kept Regina a very poised character whose true love was her work. It was nice not to read the expected :)
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

We can't exactly know what Ron actually prefers. But I think Cheryl would have been a better choice since she moulded his life as well as respected his likes and dislikes. Maybe they could have had a better life together
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

jhnews wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 20:55 I think that Regina should have given him more...herself. She literally shaped his whole life, and then dumps him with nothing to show for their entire lives together besides a building to manage and a dude ranch to oversee.
I think Regina gave Ron a lot. She shaped him, cared for him, and loved him. Yet she was far older and the connection between them doesn't appear as a romantic one, but a mother - son like connection. Anyway if Ron could be with Regina his life would have been happier
Sushan Ekanayake

lavkathleen wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 03:51
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 05:06 I'd say that Regina deserves to be with Ron more than Sheila does. She was there when Ron needed her most. He believed in him and mentored him into a responsible person. She also patiently watched him progress into who he would become.
It was unclear if she felt that way, though. What do you think? Also, they met when Ron was a teenager. My brain is just screaming 'pedophilia'. :shifty:
Agreed. I don't see a romantic involvement from Regina's side though Ron had a crush and a sexual attraction towards her. Anyway Ron could have been happier if he ended up with Regina, but can't know for sure whether Regina also will like that idea
Sushan Ekanayake

megan433 wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 21:09 While I think that it was possible for Regina to end up with Ron, I felt that their relationship was more of a mother-son one. I honestly would have like Ron to end up with Cheryl or Louise. I think Cheryl provided him a stable relationship and someone that he can rely on, and that's what Ron needs especially after Regina's death. While I don't think that Louise is the type who would want to be in a monogamous relationship, I absolutely loved their realtionship with each other and would have loved to see more of it.
Finally found someone who thinks like me. Yes, Cheryl would have been a better choice. Ron could rely on her and she was not too much into science, which would have been good for a normal life for both of them
Sushan Ekanayake

12ultimate wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 21:11 Louise was quite possibly the most suitable one for Ron, being rather fun-loving and easy-going, but none of the relationships seemed entirely "right" for him, with Louise's sense of restlessness, Sheila's need to control aspects of the relationship, and Regina's teacher-student relationship dynamic (which in my opinion makes it inappropriate for them to have a romantic interlude, and I'm glad they didn't).

At the end of the day, it just seems like Ron hasn't found who completes him, which is absolutely fine, as he has the rest of his life to figure it out.
After many relationships Ron could not find what exactly matched for him. But you haven't considered Cheryl. Isn't she a good choice to be ended up with, a nature loving, caring, well mannered girl who is not too much into science, and with whom Ron felt relaxed
Sushan Ekanayake

Ayindelaw wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 20:26 I'd say Cheryl was the best fit for him because she was a stable person (opposites attract). Nevertheless matters of the heart don't obey rules so...
Ron needs to get himself together first.
I too agree with you. Cheryl was more stable and being with her could have stabilized Ron as well. Though he went away from that relationship, it would have been better if he could turn and come to her even at the end
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

I didn't see Ron and Regina's relationship as mother and son; I saw it as mentor and protege. I am also glad that it never became sexual give the age difference. As near as I can figure, Regina was 15 to 20 years older than Ron. I believe Regina was grooming Ron to be her assistant and eventual successor so that he would carry on her research.

I did like Cheryl; she was good for Ron. I wonder, however, if they would have remained compatible as they grew older or if they would have grown apart.

Sheila and Ron worked well together -- at first. Then 9/11 happened. Ron described Sheila as losing her fun-loving side after that, which suggests that she'd been traumatized to a degree. I think their marriage started to suffer after that, and Regina turning up and demanding gobs of Ron's time soon became the last straw.

I liked Louise, but she may have been too unconventional to be a viable partner, at least over the long term.

I'm not sure who would have been the best partner for Ron, as I can see pluses and minuses to each woman. It depends on what Ron would have wanted most. For example, if he wanted wealth and respect, Sheila would have been the obvious choice. Louise offered a Bohemian lifestyle and some novel hobbies. Cheryl introduced him to the wonders of nature, and Regina challenged him intellectually.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

One that was more formal and conscious than sentimental and chilled. Indeed! In the event that Regina was happy to shape Ron's life for whatever it took, it shows that she cherished him.Suicide is in a real sense the most narrow minded thing an individual can do. Indeed she unloaded him with nothing left, not even his marriage.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

12ultimate wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 21:11 Louise was quite possibly the most suitable one for Ron, being rather fun-loving and easy-going, but none of the relationships seemed entirely "right" for him, with Louise's sense of restlessness, Sheila's need to control aspects of the relationship, and Regina's teacher-student relationship dynamic (which in my opinion makes it inappropriate for them to have a romantic interlude, and I'm glad they didn't).

At the end of the day, it just seems like Ron hasn't found who completes him, which is absolutely fine, as he has the rest of his life to figure it out.
True. I think Ron rushes into relationships and needs time to figure out who he is before he can decide what kind of relationship or person would best suit him. Louise came close to being the perfect "ship". She was fun and unpredictable, and they bonded pretty well.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 05:06 I'd say that Regina deserves to be with Ron more than Sheila does. She was there when Ron needed her most. He believed in him and mentored him into a responsible person. She also patiently watched him progress into who he would become.
I think you gave really solid reasoning here. That does seem like qualities that should be important to him. Having someone who stands by your side can be very important.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Amber_joslyn
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-joslyn.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Amber_joslyn »

Honestly, I wanted Ron to end up with Sheila. I just liked their relationship. I think that they were honest and upfront with each other (until it ended, of course) and worked well together. They created a business together and created a relationship from that involvement. That may have not been enough, but I dreaded their breakup in the book :(
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

Particularly, with him. I feel like he didn't fit with anyone. Regina was much older and distant. She was for him like a teenager fantasy. In this sense, I like that she never really gave him any entrance in a romantic/sexual way. Working together was a good thing. With Sheila, I felt she was too good for him. I don't like this kind of topic in books. A very talented and powerful woman falls in love for a very average man. Sure, he was intelligent, but I am not sure if he could keep up with her. I think, particularly with her this was very marked, but it also applies with Louise and Cheryl. I always felt his relationships were meant to end precisely because of his lack of effort and development.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

Lucille27 wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 22:34 With Sheila, I felt she was too good for him. I don't like this kind of topic in books. A very talented and powerful woman falls in love for a very average man. Sure, he was intelligent, but I am not sure if he could keep up with her. I think, particularly with her this was very marked, but it also applies with Louise and Cheryl. I always felt his relationships were meant to end precisely because of his lack of effort and development.
You've just summed up my feelings about Ron and Hermione in the Harry Potter series...

As for the Ron in Timewise, I wouldn't call him "average" -- at least not in terms of intelligence. He's portrayed as being gifted in both math and chess. What he lacks, however, are both ambition and motivation. To an extent, these lacks were understandable. He'd been bounced around from foster home to foster home, and he'd never had a mentor to guide, encourage, and push him to do his very best until he met Regina. He had also grown up poor and had thus resigned himself to not going to college -- and he wouldn't have if not for Regina.

Both Regina and Sheila modeled ambitious and strongly motivated women. While Ron eventually developed the intellectual discipline that Regina wanted him to cultivate, he remained relatively unambitious. He was perfectly content to play second fiddle to both women. Ironically, this may have helped his relationships with both. If he'd been ambitious himself, he might have started to compete with them -- and competitiveness can impair a relationship.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”