Ron's Bad and Good side

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
Noelle770
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noelle770.html
Latest Review: The Tattered Black Book by Lexy Duck

Re: Ron's Bad and Good side

Post by Noelle770 »

sanjus wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 03:15 One of the good sides of Ron was that he had self-confidence and he was also able to get higher grades in school. However, his weakness on the other side is little lack of self control and indulging in gambling etc.
I do think he did have a bit of lack of self-control at times. However, I don't think his gambling was a major issue of his. He approached gambling like chess as something to be analyzed and won at through patterns and logic. I feel like for him it was less of the thrill of winning and more just being good at it, and making some money, that was the biggest draw.
dK3 + CCt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dk3-cct.html
Latest Review: Chronic Heavy Metal Poisoning vs. Your Health by Dr. David Maloney

Post by dK3 + CCt »

Ron's good side and bad side is his enthusiasm. He is dedicated to his books and thats why high performance. He also has enthusiasm in his love life. He is shifting from a relationship to another without much worries. He has enthusium even in gambling to point of addiction
Amber_joslyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-joslyn.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Amber_joslyn »

I wouldn't necessarily say that Ron had a good and bad side. Every one has faults, right? I would say that Ron needed to improve his confidence and form his own identity outside of whatever relationship he had formed. He became very immersed in his relationships and morphed into whoever his partner needed/wanted him to be. On the other hand, I think that Ron is extremely smart and he used that to his advantage at times.
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

I don't think changing from one relationship to another seems like a problem. It is an opinion I have seen a lot in this forums, but for me, it seemed his relationships were very spaciated one from another and each of them had its own time. However, I don't think he was a good example of partner in any of them. His real bad side is that he is unable to change, he is just a plane and lame character who goes through life. When he has a partner, he just uses them and doesn't see how he can contribute, he seems more like a tool. His good side would be his determination and dilligence. He is smart because he is constant.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Tonze wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 17:53 What is the bad side you have seen about Ron and what is his good side?
For me Ron's bad side was that jumping from one Relationship to the other. And the good side I have seen is that he was persistent to what he wants no matter what.
I totally agree with you. Additionally, I also liked Ron's confidence. I think that's what made him such a persistent person. If that makes sense? And I really don't agree with Ron's view of relationships.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Jeanninegarfield
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanninegarfield.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Jeanninegarfield »

The good side of Ron is his intelligence. He has taken on multiple careers, inventor, construction project manager, Wall Street stock predictor, and has excelled at all of them. His bad side is that he does not seem to have a healthy passion. He gambles and does not exercise. His passions seem to coincide with who he is dating, and he does not have a drive outside of his sexual relationships. He is coming back to chess as a hobby and that will hopefully be better than gambling.
Ashley Cremer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-cremer.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Ashley Cremer »

I didn't really feel that Ron had a bad side. I think he jumped from relationship to relationship depending on his situation at the time, as many people do. I think he tried to do right by everyone in those relationships and try to also do right by himself. He was very loyal and I think that pertains to his good side.
Daisy Deeh
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Daisy Deeh »

I hate the fact that he had multiple relationships, i enjoyed his never ending hard work to achieve whatever he wan ted in life
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

One of Ron's positive aspects is his persistence, particularly in math. His bad side was the apathy about his own life that he had for a while. He even admitted to himself that he sort of drifted from one opportunity to another with no real goal for his life.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Fliesie01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fliesie01.html
Latest Review: Inside Outside: Black Wings Series by Sharlie M. Riverton

Post by Fliesie01 »

I don't think Ron really had a bad side, he had problems and weaknesses that he could not control.
The world belongs to those who read.
-Rick Holland
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I don't think people really have "good sides" and "bad sides." It's usually not that black and white, at least I'm trying not to look at people that way.

I'd say one of Ron's weaknesses was his gambling habit. He was very fortunate that he got help before it took him down into a spiral from which it's hard to get back up. What I appreciated in him was his determination and willingness to just go and try things.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Ron is always eager to learn something new, to go further with his studies and that's a good side of his. But he's too dependent of all those women in his life. For example, he does nothing to save his marriage.
Kyhm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyhm.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kyhm »

I think his bad side would be his gambling addiction. Who knows what would become of Ron if not because of Regina. The good side I think is being able to show what he's capable of.
serenasiew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenasiew.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by serenasiew »

In other words, Ron is a sympathetic character. Who am I to judge seemingly reckless decisions in hindsight when Ron does his best to make decisions based on facts he has at the time? Like most of us, he makes "wrong" decisions based on emotion, but that makes him human. Rather than sit on the sidelines, he takes risks, which society encourages us to do, but is determined to see things through even when they don't pan out. Even in the form of gambling, risk-taking is encouraged and earnings from gambling are taxed differently. Hindsight is too facile a lens to judge "bad" acts. Ron is compelling because he is not always three chess moves ahead. He fails big and thus gives the rest of us hope.
Upeksha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upeksha.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Upeksha »

Tonze wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 17:53 What is the bad side you have seen about Ron and what is his good side?
For me Ron's bad side was that jumping from one Relationship to the other. And the good side I have seen is that he was persistent to what he wants no matter what.
Well, according to my point of view, Ron actually doesn't have a bad side. He has got several weaknesses. Anyway, no one is perfect, and the same theory is applicable for Ron as well.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”