Continuing the time machine project

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Continuing the time machine project

Post by aacodreanu »

Ron preserved or hid Regina's time machine. This means that it could be reactivated, perhaps by Ron's young chess apprentice.
Would that be wise?
How could it be used in an ethical way?
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

If Ron and his new apprentice could improve the machine, so that it could look deeper into the future, an ethical use would be looking for crimes that could be prevented, for example checking tomorrow's news.
Ciao :)
Massimo
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

NetMassimo wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 09:16 If Ron and his new apprentice could improve the machine, so that it could look deeper into the future, an ethical use would be looking for crimes that could be prevented, for example checking tomorrow's news.
That would be a great idea! The main problem would be just related to the good order of things. So far, such steps seem to have be forbidden because of the unexpected distortions. But... nothing is impossible, especially in fiction, i.e., science-fiction. :)
Thank you for the comment!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A good part of a sequel's plot might be the development of a solution to overcome the distortion problem. I wonder if the author has some ideas for a sequel.
Ciao :)
Massimo
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

aacodreanu wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 05:11 Ron preserved or hid Regina's time machine. This means that it could be reactivated, perhaps by Ron's young chess apprentice.
Would that be wise?
Didn't he destroy it? Anyway, yes, I've been thinking about his chess apprentice. Maybe they would be in the next book, if there would be a sequel. But like I said he already destroyed it, because he couldn't continue the project anymore. Also, I can't think of a good thing that will come out of looking into the future.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I like the idea of preventing crime rather than using the machine to make money off of the stock market.
ashleymarie310
Currently Reading: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Bookshelf Size: 519

Post by ashleymarie310 »

I don't think it would be wise. The implications and possibility of that power being abused is too high. It really becomes a question of whether the ethical uses of it - being able to stop large-scale crimes before they happen, being able to plan for natural disasters that may come out of nowhere, etc - outweigh the potential for abuse.
Iris Marsh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iris-marsh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Iris Marsh »

I like the idea of it being used to prevent crime; seems nobler at least than using it to predict stock and get rich. But I also agree with Ashley that it would probably be abused for bad things if word got out. Though they did make sure it couldn't be used as a weapon, right?
Bisqwik
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bisqwik.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Bisqwik »

There could be some ethical uses for time travel, maybe introducing technology sooner in order to help humanity maybe? The distortion effect could remain as a plot device, either to add new issues or to be solved for there to be a sequel?
“A person’s never too old for stories. Man and boy, girl and woman, we live for them.”- Roland Deschain
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Definitely he has to restart the project amd use it wisely. It would be nice if he could use it to prevent avoidable accidents
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

NetMassimo wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 09:16 If Ron and his new apprentice could improve the machine, so that it could look deeper into the future, an ethical use would be looking for crimes that could be prevented, for example checking tomorrow's news.
That is a great way of using the time machine ethically. No more the world will have crimes and it will be a better place. Definitely they have to develop it and improve it further
Sushan Ekanayake

lavkathleen wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 05:51
aacodreanu wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 05:11 Ron preserved or hid Regina's time machine. This means that it could be reactivated, perhaps by Ron's young chess apprentice.
Would that be wise?
Didn't he destroy it? Anyway, yes, I've been thinking about his chess apprentice. Maybe they would be in the next book, if there would be a sequel. But like I said he already destroyed it, because he couldn't continue the project anymore. Also, I can't think of a good thing that will come out of looking into the future.
Anything is possible if a sequel comes. It is a time machine. How can we know if it can affect the time by itself. Maybe it is not destroyed at all. Maybe in some other reality it is fully functioning.

I don't know whether this is ethical, but I would love to use it to get to know the tomorrow's lottery winning numbers
Sushan Ekanayake

diana lowery wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 09:38 I like the idea of preventing crime rather than using the machine to make money off of the stock market.
You can do both. If you do good to the world, I don't think it is bad to do a bit of good for yourself as well. So, I would like to use it to see the stock market changes as well as the lottery numbers. So I would like to see Ron rebuilding the machine
Sushan Ekanayake

ashleymarie310 wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 18:48 I don't think it would be wise. The implications and possibility of that power being abused is too high. It really becomes a question of whether the ethical uses of it - being able to stop large-scale crimes before they happen, being able to plan for natural disasters that may come out of nowhere, etc - outweigh the potential for abuse.
Any good thing can be turned into bad. But having thinking of the bad aspects, it is foolish to completely avoid something. So I believe that Ron have to develop it and continue the project. And the machine will be used to do good.

Who knows. Maybe a sequel will come with a story that another party trying to get hold of this machine for their bad motives. And Ron may have to fight with them with the use of the machine
Sushan Ekanayake

Iris Marsh wrote: 28 Nov 2020, 05:51 I like the idea of it being used to prevent crime; seems nobler at least than using it to predict stock and get rich. But I also agree with Ashley that it would probably be abused for bad things if word got out. Though they did make sure it couldn't be used as a weapon, right?
A time machine is a perfect weapon. Though you can only see the future, it is more than enough to use it as a weapon. Yet, if it is in good hands it will be put to better use such as to get to know natural disasters and prevent crimes

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”