Continuing the time machine project

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
bjoly2
Currently Reading: Never Eat Alone
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bjoly2.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Re: Continuing the time machine project

Post by bjoly2 »

I believe that any use of a time machine is unwise. The future will unfold according to how it's supposed to, and it's not within our rights to tamper with what might be. It also seems we learned a vital lesson about not changing future events when Ron's finger was injured at the scene of the police SUV explosion due to being present in a future realm where he wasn't intended to be. That was enough of a scare for me to say let the time machine rest in peace!
JulietBlack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietblack.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by JulietBlack »

I thought the time machine was destroyed. It would be great to have a time machine but the consequences might outweigh the advantage if it's in the wrong hands.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

The time machine has always boggled my mind: how does this change the past in order to have a better present. How can now be changed by altering the past when it is presently happening. Woooh. Fascinating and frightening concept. I have read one or two stories about this and to imagine it being in the hands of the power-hungry gets me the chills.
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

I think this would be something very interesting to develop. The concept of going full circle. And it would also reinforce the concept of being timewise and the premises about time that Regina develops throught the story.
Noelle770
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noelle770.html
Latest Review: The Tattered Black Book by Lexy Duck

Post by Noelle770 »

I believe Ron would probably not reactivate the machine. However, if it were I don't think it should be. Aside from the stocks, I don't think there is a safe ethical way to use it so it shouldn't be used
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

I think it would be possible to use the time machine in an ethical way. It could be used to prevent catastrophes or pandemics. I think the young chess player could be a suitable partner in this endeavor, if they had a similar interest in using the machine. I do think all parties involved in its use would have to be on the same page as far as their goals with its use and their ethical boundaries.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I don't think it would be wise to rebuild the machine. While it may seem noble to use it to stop crime or something, as long as it exists, someone else will likely find out about it and the secret will get out. The only ending to using a time-machine I could possibly see is that the government gets their hands on it. Perhaps the government will have good intentions for it, but the government - and its intentions - can change. I'm not sure anyone should have that power.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
Kyhm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyhm.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kyhm »

It's a very powerful tool but can be too destructive at the same time if put in the wrong hands. I have mixed feelings about it but the risk is too high.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I like the idea of someone else continuing the project, but how to use it ethically...That´s very difficult. Even in theory, no one has the slightest idea of what changing events in time might do.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

aacodreanu wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 05:11 Ron preserved or hid Regina's time machine. This means that it could be reactivated, perhaps by Ron's young chess apprentice.
Would that be wise?
How could it be used in an ethical way?
The question of time travel intrigues all and remains unanswered. The novel focuses on time travel, but we did not experience any typical time-traveling—only prediction of stock prices. There was just one incidence where they were able to predict the FBI raid and protect themselves.
So I think to leave the possibility of actual time travel open, the author did not destroy the time machine. Maybe time travel will be possible in the future. Maybe Regina's machine will be instrumental in that discovery.
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by OB Brian »

ashleymarie310 wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 18:48 I don't think it would be wise. The implications and possibility of that power being abused is too high. It really becomes a question of whether the ethical uses of it - being able to stop large-scale crimes before they happen, being able to plan for natural disasters that may come out of nowhere, etc - outweigh the potential for abuse.
I agree. While stopping crimes sounds great, it will be a crime to stop a potential criminal (say by killing or arresting them). For them to be criminals, they must commit a crime, which will then beat the purpose of the time machine.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

I think reactivation it could be beneficial as long as it isn't used for nefarious purposes. Some good examples might be to help deter a natural disaster, help invent a cure for diseases, checking the news to help avoid certain catastrophes or to be prepared. Personally, I cannot say I would only use ot for those things. I wouldn't use it nefarious, but it would be hard not to use it for some personal gain as well.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
Shieldmaiden88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shieldmaiden88.html
Latest Review: The Blue Rose by LaVonne Thompson

Post by Shieldmaiden88 »

I think the fact that it is still a possibility means it is almost inevitable it will be reactivated. For most, the temptation would be too great at some point. That said, it is a terrible thing. There is a reason we, in the real world, can not travel through time. It would be so easy to do something small that would ultimately have dire consequences and rewrite the entire future. This is so contrary to the laws of nature. If for some reason we ever did have that possibility, it would be truly horrifying.
dcruzsammy
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcruzsammy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by dcruzsammy »

As much as that would be nice if it is to be used in good acts, there's always the possibility of it being abused as we can't always be sure that it will forever remain in good hands, so that's not a very wise decision. Also as long it is used for good and not for personal gain, I guess that' when you can say it's ethical.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

I thought that there would be a sequel elaborating on the time !schome and Regina's disappearance. Maybe Ron could study of better and correct the errors Regina fell into

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”