Is it okay to compare and contrast science and religion?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Re: Is it okay to compare and contrast science and religion?

Post by Vine Michael »

Religion is based on sacred belief while science on the other hand is based on facts and theories. Science and religion are not to be compared at all. It won't be fair to compare two things that have no similarities religion defies science and science the same. Religion is done with the heart while science is done with the brain.

I don't think the author should have compared these two in her book because it's an insult to both.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Huini Hellen »

This discussion reminds me of a famous argument that my teacher of Engkish once presented us with, way back in high school. He asked us, "If Science states that the sun is a mass of gases that are continuously burning, why has it not been depleted? Why does the sun seem to maintain it's shape and size despite the internal combustion that characterizes its being?"
And so yes, I think it's okay to compare science with religion, if only either philosophy helps you to understand the other.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Shatakshi Gauriar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shatakshi-gauriar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Shatakshi Gauriar »

I firmly believe, Science and God is two different aspects for living. Both can compliment each other but can never be compared. Science can give us answers to our various questions that God cannot, but similarly God show us the path of belief and faith that Science cannot provide.
Pamela Bianca Mas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamela-bianca-mas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00TREI0F2

Post by Pamela Bianca Mas »

For me, there’s nothing wrong with looking at science and religion side by side. Theories and assumptions of any fields of studies arrives to it’s truth only when it coincides with what is already written in the bible.
Pamela Bianca Mas
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

I think science backs religion. There have been prominent scientists who have been religious believers. The big bang might coincide with the moment when God created the world. I read a book about this: The Biblical Clock.
Njokime
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njokime.html
Latest Review: Homo Technica by Stephan Collina

Post by Njokime »

The fact that religion is based on some historical events that we assume happened, I do not find using science to prove the existence of religion a bad thing.
Karunavk
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karunavk.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Karunavk »

Religion is faith, science is data. Both help us understand ourselves better. Both guide us in their own way. Religion may not always support science but in instances when we find scientific evidence in religious beliefs our trust gets a boost. Both religion and science have been evolving over time. But a direct comparison is unfair.
shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

Science is a theory, and religion is a belief and faith which can't be proved. Science is a vision from the worldly perspective and defines the happenings around us. On the contrary, religion is something which cant be seen and is in our heart. But, these two can be merged with the belief that science is the creation of god to provide reasonings to phenomenon. So I think it can well enough be connected together and can actually support each other. Thus, i think its alright to compare science and religion.
shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

Science is a theory, and religion is a belief and faith which can't be proved. Science is a vision from the worldly perspective and defines the happenings around us. On the contrary, religion is something which cant be seen and is in our heart. But, these two can be merged with the belief that science is the creation of god to provide reasonings to phenomenon. So I think it can well enough be connected together and can actually support each other. Thus, i think its alright to compare science and religion.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Moocow1213 wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 10:12 I think that science and religion have spectrums of their own, so when you think about comparing and contrasting science and religion you would have to consider which subject from each your comparing, for example the belief in God or the theory of evolution. But then again, science and religion has been compared and contrasted many times before, with this comparison happening in day to day life, we see it in debates, books and in philosphy class rooms. So overall I believe that it's ok to compare and contrast science and religion though it depends on what your comparing and contrasting.
This is true. There have been many instances where science has been used to confirm or validate certain religious beliefs and historical references. In the same vein, there have also been instances where science has been used to negate certain beliefs and references. As you said, it depends on the subject. I do agree that it's ok to compare and contrast science and religion, within reason.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

I think it is of utmost importance that we do so. Parallels between science and religion are the only key to understand things as they truly are. I firmly believe the two explain each other and are not mutually exclusive.
Although, I think drawing parallels between science and spirituality is a more effective approach than referencing religion(s).
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
JulietBlack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietblack.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by JulietBlack »

I think it's okay to compare science and religion. It helps in understanding their similarities and difference which ultimately aids in understanding the two independently. Science and religion are more alike than we know.
dK3 + CCt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dk3-cct.html
Latest Review: Chronic Heavy Metal Poisoning vs. Your Health by Dr. David Maloney

Post by dK3 + CCt »

It is okay to compare the two since both compliment each other. Religion gives science the base since region answers the infinate questions that science has failed to answer. Science on the other hand gives meaning to events in religion which are just primitive if left unexplained by science.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

This is onw of the oldest arguments that has plagued mankind ever since the Enlightenment began in Europe. I think that science and religion share common principles. I also believe that each can co-exist peacefully with the other instead of as some has suggested that people must choose one or the other. As human beings we cannot confuse one for the other and believe that each is not subject to change.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

Christianity should not be afraid to debate science. God's Word does not contradict true science but rather confirms it. Science keeps changing and evolving so it's silly to assume that everything we hold as true now will be the same a 100 years from now. The Bible on the other hand will still be the same.
1 Cor 15: 19-20, 26 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...The last enemy to be destroyed is death.

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”