Is this book equally suitable for anyone with any religious beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Re: Is this book equally suitable for anyone with any religious beliefs?

Post by Chikari »

I always try to approach books that deal with religion at all with an open mind. I think most would do well with this book as long as they can do the same. You can learn a lot from someone else's views without necessarily agreeing with them.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Fozia RYK wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 00:28 Because author has explained it by logical reasoning based on science so this book is equally valid for all types of religions. Science is universal truth by which no one can deny.
I won't say that science is universal, since it changes and evolves frequently. And also in scientific stuff also there have been incidents of falsifying data. But the theories of physics can be taken as common since they are practically proven in many occasions. On that aspect this book will be suitable for many, but not for all since science is not for everyone
Sushan Ekanayake

Karunavk wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 01:54 I am a Hindu and had doubts about the concept of a 'punishing God'. That is taught to kids early on. There are beliefs that if you don't follow certain rituals some evil will befall on you. I realised that I don't want to believe that. I have always believed that God is a forgiving, loving force.

The author's belief that God is a rational Supreme being resonates with what I come to conclude and believe after reading many a Hindu religious scriptures.

So I don't think this book is restricted only to Christians, it has an audience in people from different faith. Like in Hinduism and Christianity, the learnings of other religions also have also been corrupted over the years with the purpose of creating fear and awe. This book is for all those who would want to look at their God without the religious glasses.
This book will be appealing to those who believe in religions which are based on a supreme being, a God. But not all religions have a God and also not all humans have a religion. So for them this book won't be that much appealing
Khushnuma Parveen +
Favorite Book: Clockwork Angel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushnuma-parveen.html
Latest Review: Agatha the Beloved Queen by Fred Pilcher

Post by Khushnuma Parveen + »

I think this book is for everyone even you are Catholic/Christian or not. Author has described the existence of supreme being with love and forgiveness. One should keep their mind open while reading this book. Then they will understand the thinking of the writer. One should read this book like a book not a religious scripture so that one can avoid finger pointing.
Sushan Ekanayake

Pamela Bianca Mas wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 07:53 I think the book is intended for readers with open minds and therefore does not single out any particular religious belief. The author does not dictate anything to her readers and lets them figure out things by themselves, in turn the readers should also be accepting the fact that not everything they will be reading is going to be favoring a specific belief.
It might not be targeting a specific religious belief, but it tries to prove the presence of a God. Will it be similarly appealing to the ones who are in belief of religions that do not believe in a supreme being?
Sushan Ekanayake

nanglada wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 09:49
Kaye_Bo2020 wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 20:20 I believe this book is great for any one with an open mind on religion. If you are closed minded this book is not for you. I also believe it would be wonderful for those of a non religious or scientific mindset.
I agree completely. Though the author is Christian, the reader doesn't have to be in order to enjoy this book.
There is no need for the reader to be a Christian. Yet I feel that the reader should have some knowledge about Christianity since the book is mainly based on or targeting at the biblical teachings
Sushan Ekanayake

Eva Stoyanova wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 10:08 It must be suitable for everyone since it's based on scientific concepts. It suggests different perspectives and notions which I think should be equally accepted by all religions.
Science is not equally appealing to everyone. So a book being based on science doesn't make it a book for everyone. On the other hand, the faithful believers won't tolerate when their beliefs are being challenged by through science by a book
Sushan Ekanayake

Nonny2208 wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 11:22 The manner of approach makes it suitable for every religion. Because it's written from a scientific aspect, one can relate it to his/her individual belief. So, it doesn't matter if you're Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist, or Christian, this will suit you.
The book has a scientific approach, yet the author's ultimate goal doesn't seem very much scientific, which is proving the presence of a God. Though this concept is found in many religions, there are few religions that reject the belief of a supreme God, such as Buddhism. In that case this book won't be appealing to everyone
Sushan Ekanayake

Adedayo+23 wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 07:38 I believe one has to be open-minded to a certain degree about religion to entertain the theories the author explored regarding God and religion. Devouts of any religious orientation might find the content offensive bordering on blasphemous.
I agree. If you are open minded and can tolerate the opinions of others, then you will be able to read this book. But if you are a faithful believer, either your beliefs will be proved or disproved by this book, and the latter won't be very much pleasant
Sushan Ekanayake

Slater678 wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 09:22 Applying my own views on the subject gleaned from my studies, I believe this book is trying to dissuade the reader from traditional religious views into more perceived humanistic and progressive views.
The book questions the traditional religious beliefs and disproves the manipulated, corrupted stuff that has been inserted into religions throughout the generations. So a flexible mind will grab what the author conveys, but more traditional thinkers will just receive this as offensive
Sushan Ekanayake

Eriny Youssef wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 12:53
Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 00:52 Though the author is a Catholic, she has studied about Hinduism and Buddhism as well. And this book does not directly talks about Catholic teachings, but the true meaning of the universe and a supreme being via quantum physics and philosophical studies.

Considering that context, is this book suitable for anyone? Or would this be targeted to a particular audience with particular religious beliefs?
I think that as long as different beliefs are discussed it shouldn't be a problem. As long as the author is not trying to push the reader towards a specific belief, or elaborately explain details of a specific belief, it should be suitable for anyone. I think the more important criteria is whether the reader is interested in this type of knowledge or not.
Agreed. The suitability of the book to a particular reader depends on the reader him/herself. The book discusses about several religious beliefs and tries to see the truth in them in a more scientific manner. And the reader has to be ready to accept those facts and think rationally
Sushan Ekanayake

MrunalT wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 03:02 I think the book is suitable for reader of all religions. One only needs to keep an open mind and they will see the core principles overlap between different religions.
The core of all religions is making the mankind better. So there is no difference between the religions. But the quite fansy and historical content vary greatly in between various religions. One such concept is the concept of a God. Some religions accept that and some don't. So this book trying to prove the presence of such a God won't be going along with all the religious beliefs
Sushan Ekanayake

Chikari wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 06:14 I always try to approach books that deal with religion at all with an open mind. I think most would do well with this book as long as they can do the same. You can learn a lot from someone else's views without necessarily agreeing with them.
Once again it is about the mind set of the reader. If it is open enough and flexible to respect others opinions, the facts in this book won't do any harm to the reader. Yet everyone doesn't have that same mind set as well as flexibility. So I don't believe that this is a book for anyone
Sushan Ekanayake

Khushnuma Parveen + wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 09:19 I think this book is for everyone even you are Catholic/Christian or not. Author has described the existence of supreme being with love and forgiveness. One should keep their mind open while reading this book. Then they will understand the thinking of the writer. One should read this book like a book not a religious scripture so that one can avoid finger pointing.
If you read this book as just a scientific literature, your beliefs won't be harmed since science is not about accepting but knowing facts and thinking over them. If you can do that, then this is for you despite of your religious beliefs
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Cannoli Caper
Bookshelf Size: 624
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: By The Rivers of Babylon by Mary Glickman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

Being raised Catholic, although with that boat sailing long ago, I find that this book will be less suitable for many Catholics than for those of other beliefs. I know quite a few die-hard Roman Catholics who would toss this book into the fire pit as a work of blasphemy. Although I also know quite a few enlightened Catholics who would welcome many of the author's claims, for instance, the insanity by the organized Church of condemning birth control as a sin. But among the true traditional believers, there are those who would never dispute Mary's virginity, the authenticity of the visit of the Magi, and other perpetuated myths. Therefore, I would expect the greatest pushback to be from those sharing the author's faith, and not those from without.

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”