Overall rating and opinion of " Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M. D. is confession that Hilary is fed up of what seems true, but changes over time. I think, I understand his anger because it is disappointing when those who we do consider religious, in their anatomies, act in contrast to what is expected of them. I give this story 3 out of 4 stars, because I noticed a number of mistakes, the author presented his story as an argument, hence making his story appear as views or thoughts rather than a story. I loved the fact that him and I think have similar views, concerning the religion, and how we believers seeking direction in life, get lost due to the unclear laws, we have to obey. Hilary, be careful about how you present your views, concerning the hardships you have gone through. The statement about family planning at one time maybe misunderstood by some. I did not like how you phrased it. I, for one are telling you, it maybe used to put you down humanitarianly.
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

I am still reviewing this book, it is a great book with an amaizing plot and storyline, but it is becoming boring due to the multiple errors.
Karunavk
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karunavk.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Karunavk »

Many of the conclusions that the author has tried to draw our attention to are something I have come to believe since long back. An intelligent mind should not follow all the dogmas laid out by the religions blindly. Be it Christianity, Hinduism, Islam or any other religions, we have to question, understand the purpose, history and reason behind the ritual or teaching,band adapt it or follow it if the same rings true with his or her own beliefs.

The book many a times seems like a bunch of diary entries or a fanatic rant. The thoughts seem to be put down in a hurry and so lack proper flow. The grammatical errors are too many to ignore. All in all I would rate this book 2 out of 4. It seems suitable for those who enjoy reading philosophical assessment of the religions.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

In spite of the fact that Wilderness Cry is an insightful read, the book surely needs to go in for another round of editing. Given that the author raised a lot of sensitive issues, those issues should have been adequately substantiated to avoid any doubt in the mind of the readers. I rate the book three out of four stars.
Goral
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Time
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goral.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Goral »

I would give this book 1 out of 4 stars because I found way too many grammatical and spelling errors. Seems like this book wasn't professionally edited. Apart from this I didn't really enjoy reading this book and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy books, and that's kind of the same thing
Shahina C A
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shahina-c-a.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shahina C A »

I liked the plot of this book very much. It was an actual page turner for me. But there were many typos in this book. That affected my reading experience. So i give this book a 2 out of 4 stars rating.
jeanmtdb
Favorite Book: Devil Among Us
Currently Reading: The Dragons of Chiroptera
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanmtdb.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jeanmtdb »

The title and description of the book was intriguing, so I reviewed it. I gave it 2 out of 4 stars. While the author discussed many different topics, I found that his bias against Christianity was too obvious to overlook. Mr. Hunt would begin a chapter discussing the topic with fairly negative language and then use circular reasoning to arrive at the conclusion he started with. Also, the lack of good proofreading made it difficult to read.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

Wilderness Cry has a good and sound content on the controversial subject of science and philosophy. However the book needs to go through more rounds of editing as every page seems to have one or more errors which would leave most readers frustrated. I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I also came across numerous inconsistencies and errors from the beginning of the book and will definitely rate it 2 out of 4 stars. I do however think the author raises valid points and question that even I struggle with although I was not raised in a Catholic church. I hope the author will credit the book as I think a lot of people who are part of some religion, specifically Christianity, need to read it and will resonate with it.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

The errors found in this book ruined it for me. The book has a lot of ideas and the author's personal opinions about God that sound good to the ear, but readers reader flow with the messages since the beautiful work is riddled with so much error. I rate it 2 out of 4 stars.
grassy-lassy
Currently Reading: Sadie
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grassy-lassy.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by grassy-lassy »

Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Munt was not a good book. I would give it a 1 out of 4 stars. While I enjoy the idea of challenging old Christian values and of questioning religion, it wasn't gone about in a very organized way. The writing felt like I was being condescended to. Munt's tone was very "I know what I'm talking about so don't even think of thinking different" despite writing a book about thinking differently. As other users have stated, the capitalization was a little much. I think it was meant to make a more emphatic statement, but it came across as yelling at the reader. Full disclosure: I practice witchcraft, but was once a Lutheran. To give this book a positive note, I did like that it brought up a lot of contradictions in the bible that I remember asking about when I was questioning my religious views as well. One last thing that I didn't care for was the fact that Munt brought up a lot of questions and ideas but didn't elaborate when he brought them up, instead said: "This will be discussed in a later chapter" for most of them. This was really frustrating to me as a reader, because if an author brings something up, I want to learn about it right away. Also, by saying, "This will be discussed in a later chapter", it takes the reader out of the book; it made me aware that I was reading the entire time.
So, again, I would rate this 1 out of 4 stars.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

My humble opinion is that this book, while it raised a lot of interesting questions and put forth intriguing ideas, was not well done. Apart from the many errors that could be cleared up with another round or two of editing, the book lacked substance and credibility. Most of what the author expressed were his opinions, backed up by a few sources here and there, and not much expounded on. His opinions are extremely coloured by his Catholic background, of which I felt like he was very resentful. I gave the book 2 out of 4 stars. I didn't like it at all, but I can appreciate his effort and his willingness to address controversial subjects. I don't know that I would recommend the book to anyone.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

Unfortunately, this book was not one I could enjoy. There were too many errors that I ended up not being able to finish it. The author needs to go back through and do some proofreading and editing. I think it could be a good book if the errors were fixed.
Mac :techie-reference:
dtbrannon
Currently Reading: Making Sense of Life Explaining Genes & Telepathy
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtbrannon.html
Latest Review: Riven Calyx by Mark Leon Collins

Post by dtbrannon »

This is coming from the point of view of a non-religious person and is my own personal opinion, but I feel that the author makes some valid points, although at times he does seem to be pointing fingers.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a different perspective on religion, in order to see the other side of the coin and be better able to make an informed decision as to their own religious preferences.

What I liked most about the book were the references to how the old nun would seemingly scare the children with her own perceived beliefs. Another example was how chewing the host, or leaven bread, during communion was not allowed and would possibly condemn the abuser.

From my own perspective, I have seen how people behave both in church and outside of the church, and it often makes me wonder if such people have any faith at all!
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I would rate Wilderness Cry 3 out of 4 stars. I don't give it a perfect score because of all the errors in the book. In light of that, I love that it is the kind of book that would voice out so many opinions from people. Some people may be offended by it, some may agree with it and some may be skeptical. But that is the beauty of such genre of books. I commend Hilary L Hunt M.D for that. You actually kind of discover where you stand on matters after reading this book. I'm neither saying I agree with what he writes, nor do I disagree, I merely have my opinions on various topics, just like Hunt does, And just like you do.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”