The author is not having a solid stand. Is that okay?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: The author is not having a solid stand. Is that okay?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 20:54 I think it might actually make her more objective and credible. It could be that she doesn't want to influence the readers' opinion.
Maybe that was his idea, not to influence the reader. Yet, being raised in a Catholic background, he should have some of his own ideas and what I think is he should have conveyed them more openly and then could have stated what he found for and against his beliefs
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

readsbyarun wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 15:09 I agree to this topic. Indeed author didn't fully clarify most of the facts mentioned in the book. But I don't find anything harm in the opinions.
Yes, basically the author has not clarified or given conclusions to the questions and criticisms that he raises. Most of the times he had stated the facts and invited the reader to think. That is why I say that he doesn't have a solid stand regarding his own opinions
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I think the fact that the author is ambiguous is actually a positive thing. It lets readers form their own opinions by asking critical questions and providing information without inserting their opinion. It's smart on the author's behalf because it will appeal to a wider audience.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

I think that it is ok. A book like this should be unbiased and encourage readers to form their own opinions from the information presented. If the author had strongly gone in the direction of science or religion, it may not appeal to many readers.
Huini Hellen
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

I do not think the author is playing an evasive card here, but inviting us to share in her thoughts and maybe form our own basis for arguments. We cannot candidly state that she has avoided the very subjects that form her discussion. Instead, she's showed us loopholes that need our attention.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

Author has explained many religions according to his views. For each text, he gave different logic. So Talking about an unbiased viewpoint appears particulary troublesome on the grounds that you need to venture out of your circumstance, and see all sides of the range. Therefore he has no solid stand.
Pamela Bianca Mas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamela-bianca-mas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00TREI0F2

Post by Pamela Bianca Mas »

I think it is perfectly fine for the author to not have a solid stand with the arguments in the book simply because she is letting her readers decide on their own. She presents points to be taken in consideration, but gives her audience the freedom to think for themselves.
Pamela Bianca Mas
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 20:54 I think it might actually make her more objective and credible. It could be that she doesn't want to influence the readers' opinion.
Exactly. Maybe the whole point of the book is to be objective and to let readers have their own opinion and thoughts on the matter. It's important and quite nice to actually have our own thoughts on something we read, and not simply following and believing what books are saying.
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

I think in order to foster a healthy discussion the author should not take sides. Religion is deeply personal and trying to apply scientific rationale too aggressively could come across as attacking religion. I think cementing her stance would dissuade the opposing side from reading her book which furthers the divide.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

I believe the author's intention is to reach a wider audience and create space for deep contemplations and thought-provoking discussions which is not a bad thing. Taking a solid stand may likely alienate certain categories of people who might not agree with the author's stand, or feel that her arguments are biased in favor of either science or religion depending on which side she picks. I believe there's nothing wrong with her decision not to have a solid stand.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Sushan Ekanayake

Cazrichmond wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 09:20 I think that it is ok. A book like this should be unbiased and encourage readers to form their own opinions from the information presented. If the author had strongly gone in the direction of science or religion, it may not appeal to many readers.
This sort of a book has to be unbiased. But then the book itself will be only a collection of facts. If the author took a side, then the book itself will be a good argument. But then it will avert a portion of its audience
Sushan Ekanayake

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 12:28 I think the fact that the author is ambiguous is actually a positive thing. It lets readers form their own opinions by asking critical questions and providing information without inserting their opinion. It's smart on the author's behalf because it will appeal to a wider audience.
The author stays ambiguous. He has taken neither the side of religion, nor the side of science. But if he took one side, the book will be the stage for an argument, and the author could have prove his point and disprove the other opinions. That will make the book more interesting to some of the audience, and will avert some of the readers too
Sushan Ekanayake

REIGNING20 wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 00:35 I do not think the author is playing an evasive card here, but inviting us to share in her thoughts and maybe form our own basis for arguments. We cannot candidly state that she has avoided the very subjects that form her discussion. Instead, she's showed us loopholes that need our attention.
The author points out the loopholes in the religion. He conveys scientific facts and shows the unrealistic religious interpretations which are scientifically invalid. Yet he is not taking the side of the science either. So it just seems like an act of evasion and an approach to a wide audience
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Sararob06 wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 20:20 I think in order to foster a healthy discussion the author should not take sides. Religion is deeply personal and trying to apply scientific rationale too aggressively could come across as attacking religion. I think cementing her stance would dissuade the opposing side from reading her book which furthers the divide.
On the other hand, the author is trying to make sense of his own beliefs, so in a way it makes sense for them to be taking a a side in the argument. I don't think he mentions that he is going to make a balanced argument, and while it might some sense for him to have raised some points against his argument, I think it's fair that he hasn't as this is based on making sense of his own religious values and the struggle that he has faced with them.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Sushan Ekanayake

Fozia RYK wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 00:47 Author has explained many religions according to his views. For each text, he gave different logic. So Talking about an unbiased viewpoint appears particulary troublesome on the grounds that you need to venture out of your circumstance, and see all sides of the range. Therefore he has no solid stand.
The author has tried to cover many areas, many religions. But his base remains in Catholicism. And his motive to prove the presence of a God is still there. So he could have stand on one side and bring out an argument to prove his points

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”