Is it okay to compare and contrast science and religion?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Re: Is it okay to compare and contrast science and religion?

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 00:40 The author uses her knowledge regarding quantum physics and other philosophical studies to challenge and see the true meaning of the religious teachings that the world has known and believed for decades.

But as far as we know, religious teachings are a set of beliefs that are based on various historical events, cultural values, and even mythical stories. Some of these things cannot be either proved or neglected by either science or philosophy.

Considering that argument, is this okay to compare religions with science as the author has done in this book?
I wouldn't say it's wise to compare religion to science. I believe the knowledge science implies is gotten from omniscience and trying to date by to the beginning or trying to use science to compare if biblical facts are true is not wise to me.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

I think it is okay to compare the two, that doesn't change the facts. Where I have a problem with books that compare science and creation is when the person doing the comparison is obviously doing it to disprove there is a God! It is one of those 'aha, I told you so' comparisons! I don't see that in this book, at least not so far, so I think it is fine to compare the two to solidify the truth!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”