Is it okay to compare and contrast science and religion?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Marvive Unique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genevieve-nwokolie.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Re: Is it okay to compare and contrast science and religion?

Post by Marvive Unique »

I don't think it is right to compare science and religion. Some people don't believe that there is God. There are some things beyond human imagination and religion is one of it. Even scientist can't comprehend something's themselves.
Ghassan123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ghassan123 »

In my opinion, religion is a law. And science as well.
Religion is what the people in the old testament lived on. But when Jesus came, he canceled religion, and we here on life under Love.

So comparing the two is not surprising to me. However, putting the mystery behind the writing words altogether is something different and hence, cannot be called religion because you are lead by the spirit.

To conclude, you can't truly compare science with God's word (Not religion). Because God's word can ONLY be understood in the spirit. But science is not the case.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

I absolutely think it is okay to compare science to religion. At some point, science has supported to a great extent the Bible. I feel that it depends with the researchers attitude. I believe God is the greatest scientist who put everything in motion. Examining science makes one see God more clearly.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Genevieve Nwokolie wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 13:18 I don't think it is right to compare science and religion. Some people don't believe that there is God. There are some things beyond human imagination and religion is one of it. Even scientist can't comprehend something's themselves.
You have a point. Some people believe in God and some don't. Scientists have facts that they can prove as well as cannot prove or disprove. Some religious matters are out of scope from science, so such things are rejected by science loving people. An attempt to compare religion and science will lead only to a clash between these various groups, so it is better to keep them away
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

It's two complete different things so it shouldn't be compared. Science is theoric and religion has to do with belief.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Ghassan123 wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 15:12 In my opinion, religion is a law. And science as well.
Religion is what the people in the old testament lived on. But when Jesus came, he canceled religion, and we here on life under Love.

So comparing the two is not surprising to me. However, putting the mystery behind the writing words altogether is something different and hence, cannot be called religion because you are lead by the spirit.

To conclude, you can't truly compare science with God's word (Not religion). Because God's word can ONLY be understood in the spirit. But science is not the case.
That is quite a nice thought. God's word is not the script. Script can be called religion, but that is not the spiritual supremacy. So, when we try to compare science and religion, we actually compare science and the scripts, which is ultimately of no use
Sushan Ekanayake

Alice Ngugi wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 15:18 I absolutely think it is okay to compare science to religion. At some point, science has supported to a great extent the Bible. I feel that it depends with the researchers attitude. I believe God is the greatest scientist who put everything in motion. Examining science makes one see God more clearly.
I don't know whether the bible has been supported by science at some points, but seemingly it has been influenced by political and geographical agendas. If you think of God as a scientist, then there won't be any harm in comparing science and religion
Sushan Ekanayake

joynob24365 wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 21:23 It's two complete different things so it shouldn't be compared. Science is theoric and religion has to do with belief.
That is what I think exactly. To compare things, there has to be a common ground between them. But science, a theory and experiment based subject, and religion, which is based in beliefs, do not have such common ground as per my understanding. So they should not be compared
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

I think that it is ok to compare science and religion. If someone wants to choose which of these two to believe in, he/she has to compare the two. There are things which science cannot explain but religion can.
Sushan Ekanayake

Vivdija wrote: 27 Dec 2020, 05:24 I think that it is ok to compare science and religion. If someone wants to choose which of these two to believe in, he/she has to compare the two. There are things which science cannot explain but religion can.
There are things that religion explains but they are not practical within the scope of the science. In that basis, I don't think one has to cocompare the two to choose one. Most of us have a religion from the birth. With knowledge only we are introduced to science. So later if you go for science instead of religion, that is not a result of your comparison but your understanding
Daisy Deeh
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Daisy Deeh »

To me religion is a belief while science is a theory .There is no point of comparing the two.
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-copsey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Copsey »

I belive you can compare and contrast. I think many want to separate the two but in many ways they are intertwined. Many may even be shocked to learn that science is often supported by the Bible and vice versa.
Sushan Ekanayake

Daisy Deeh wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 12:27 To me religion is a belief while science is a theory .There is no point of comparing the two.
That is correct. Simply speaking religion is a belief system while science is a theory based on experiments and research. Science needs proof, but religion needs only faith. There are many occasions when these two doesn't agree. So there is no point in comparing these two
Sushan Ekanayake

Victoria Copsey wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 12:32 I belive you can compare and contrast. I think many want to separate the two but in many ways they are intertwined. Many may even be shocked to learn that science is often supported by the Bible and vice versa.
I disagree. Science cannot be supported by religion. What is possible is other way round. There are points that religious beliefs and marvels have been proven scientifically. But at the same time there are situations that science has disproved religion. So, in my opinion, the comparison between the two will lead to unnecessary clash
Murimia
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Murimia »

Religion is is what makes a human whole being. you cannot do without it therefore science cannot be compare with religion.

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”