Is it okay to compare and contrast science and religion?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
nwaobifrancesca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaobifrancesca.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Is it okay to compare and contrast science and religion?

Post by nwaobifrancesca »

It is okay to compare religion and science. Compare what you feel there's there to compare. Discovering new knowledge about something is not bad. What is unacceptable is trying to force the two to support each other or make one to appear better and much accepted than the other. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and perspectives. It is left to us personally to know which knowledge is not be accepted and held close to us, and which is to be ignored.
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

In my opinion, comparing and contrasting between science and religion is done by atheists. It goes to say that the tenders of religion are questioned for ths to occur. I am very religious and without doubt, doing this doesn't sit right
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Chizioboli wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 08:46 In my opinion, comparing and contrasting between science and religion is done by atheists. It goes to say that the tenders of religion are questioned for ths to occur. I am very religious and without doubt, doing this doesn't sit right
I am not saying you should change your opinion, if this doesn't sit right with you, it doesn't sit right and that's okay! But it's not just atheists that compare and contrast science! I am religious and I do it!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Maddie Atkinson
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Michelle Fred wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 06:10 No, I don't think it's okay to compare both. Science is mostly evidence-based; while religions are mostly not. Many Bible stories defy logic when interpreted literally. It wouldn't pass muster when pitched against a logic-based subject like science.
But a lot of the logic defying events can actually be explained by science, for example the parting of the Red Sea. It was actually a lake near to the Red Sea that has a phenomenon where the wind shifts the waters in a way that completely empties the lake for a temporary amount of time. At the time of this particular event, it would have seemed like divine intervention, so it was written that way, but when modern scientific logic that didn't exist back then is applied, it becomes completely explainable! I am not trying to offend, merely just trying to show another side to your argument!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 610
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: No One Will Hear You Scream by EJ Goldberg Phillips
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I not only think that it's okay, I think it's absolutely necessary. Science and faith do not need to be mutually exclusive. Digging into one's faith with respect to teachings about behavior toward our fellow humans doesn't depend upon whether or not one believes in an omnipresence or, conversely, an invisible man in the sky. If one grasps the science, with the solid foundation of faith under his or her feet, it doesn't matter what facts show us about the creation of the universe. As many have said about the Big Bang theory, it didn't happen all by itself.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Religion and science may seem like irreconcilable ideas. Because of this, it gives more reason to compare and contrast them. We compare and contrast to discover connections and similarities. In the process, we just might find they can be reconciled and eventually believe in both.
Hilda Martinovic
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hilda-martinovic.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hilda Martinovic »

I think that sometimes it is ok to compare religion and science. The author is talking about the rules and regulations created by the Church. There regulations have to be taken into consideration when there is scientific evidence, as in present times with the pandemic, that rules might have to be reconsidered.
Harman_13j
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Harman_13j »

I think it is okay to compare science and religion because they are interrelated with each other.if we talk about past times there is medicine of every disease,they use religious methods. Now we use scientific methods for curing the same diseases and that methods are also related with each other. Let’s have an example : if somebody gets injured very badly we admit them into the hospital for their treatment by scientific ways but we also keep praying to god that the person get well soon. So these are related with each other.
Harman_13j

Post by Harman_13j »

I think it is okay to conpare science and religion because they are interrelated with each other.if we talk about past times there is medicine of every disease,they use religious methods. Now we use scientific methods for the same
Tomes 2 Read
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomes-2-read.html
Latest Review: Rough Way to the High Way by Kelly Mack McCoy

Post by Tomes 2 Read »

Yes, I think it is okay to compare and contrast science and religion. I believe having such a discussion (or, for this matter, a novel that presents such a discussion) is both fascinating and vital, merging to a certain extent when science may prove religious convictions and diverging when science and religion don't agree or have yet to reveal their relationship. It is interesting to explore both realms - I think when we explore them with ever-curious and open minds, we gain a deeper wisdom that is invaluable.
aralord5

Post by aralord5 »

The rules of the nature as we know them are experiential, Although God has been the ruler of all the rules, I don't find it ok to put on a rally between science and religion.
Although what makes God almighty have come in to the religions.
So it's so big beyond our daily imaginable experiences, or it's some illusion and not even by daily experience.

Either way we should grow ourselves to find a bigger prespective and bigger understanding.
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

The intention of the comparison is important. One can merely do that for self interest, but another can do it to discredit either religion or science. So depending on the intention, one has to decide whether the comparison is appropriate or not
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

I think it is alright to compare scince and religion. Some religions are go hand in hand with science whilst beliefs in some other religions are not in harmony with the science. This does not mean that one has to abandone the religion entrirely. There are things that can get from the religion to improve the civilazation, though, it is not in harmony with science all the time .
Alecza_
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alecza.html
Latest Review: Honesty is Key by Tayma Tameem

Post by Alecza_ »

It's okay. However, I don't think people who avidly support a single one should. They sometimes align with each other, but there are certain times where the topic would be better off unbothered. :hand:
engarl
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-engarl.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by engarl »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 15:34 I think comparing these two is quite alright. I am sure God can handle our questions and doubts etc. In my personal opinion, science can't be that far away from religion, but as it is only one of the human ways of looking at the world, it is imperfect. If we could share God's wisdom, our science would make more sense. I don't like confrontation around this theme, since I believe that from the human point of view religion and science can actually support each other.
I agree with this statement! I believe that God is the greatest scientist, but we humans see through a glass darkly. Remember how we used to believe that the sun revolved around the earth (and had “scientific evidence to prove it-or rather, what we believed to be scientific fact at the time) and it turned out not to be true? I am certain that there are other paradigms out there that we haven’t fully discerned the full picture yet and that’s why there seems to be contradictions between the Bible and science. WE are the ones who aren’t seeing the whole picture clearly yet, and we are not even aware of our own close mindedness, just like those before us who believed in the geocentric theory.

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”