Does this book makes the holy bible a fraud?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Shahina C A
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shahina-c-a.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Re: Does this book makes the holy bible a fraud?

Post by Shahina C A »

I don't think anything can make bible a fraud. Different people have different opinion about anything. I thing faith and religion are one's personal choices.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book is the author's "Cry in the Wilderness." He says that he is searching, crying out, for the truth. He wants answers to his questions. His church leaders were unable to satisfy his inquiries. When he approached them with his questions, they responded: "most people don't think that deeply," (p. 3). His own leaders confused him with their teachings and their example. In spite of this, he left the church - but NOT the Bible. Many of his beliefs still reflect biblical truths. (Love God, love your neighbor; he still prays to God, etc.) For the author, the Bible is not a fraud. He is just "desperately searching for answers." (p. 3). He wants someone to show/teach him the truth.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

The Bible remains the only standard for the Christian. There could be an iota of truth in that the versions we have today have been manipulated, but no one knows the content of the original. Instead of taking up human philosophies and ideas that are bound to vary from person to person, I choose to stick with what we have already—the Bible.
rifieka
Currently Reading: 10 Steps To Earning Awesome Grades
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rifieka.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant

Post by rifieka »

B Creech wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 06:03
Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 00:41 The author herself has a Catholic background, yet she claims that the holy bible which is presented today is but a result of various manipulations and political agendas, not the true initial message given by the supreme being.

She gives evidence about a true supreme being via quantum physics as well as philosophical teachings. As per the author, this book contains whatever the details that anyone who is intelligent enough to understand the true meaning of a religion and the world.

So, does that make this book superior to the holy bible? Or on the other hand, does this book makes the holy bible a fraud?
I say the answer is neither! There is no book that is superior to the Bible. When read often, and studied carefully while reading, one comes to the knowledge that the Bible is indeed the inspired Word of God! I am not talking about hurriedly reading through chapters and verses, I am talking about 'studying' the meaning of each verse. I, in no way, see this book as making the Bible a fraud. I see it as one person's opinion. Great question!
I cannot agree more. People reading the Bible, more like skimming through it, think it's just a set of rules. Even theologians, who are supposed to study the meanings lying under the surface, fail to do so. Therefore, they fail to see what all the hype's about. But, honestly, the Bible deserves all the hype. In it is found the secret to mankind's every single problem and solution. It shows us the future. It depicts secrets--way before science was even a thing--in the Bible that scientists prize themselves for discovering in the 20th and 21st century.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

rifieka wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 02:26
Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 00:41 The author herself has a Catholic background, yet she claims that the holy bible which is presented today is but a result of various manipulations and political agendas, not the true initial message given by the supreme being.

She gives evidence about a true supreme being via quantum physics as well as philosophical teachings. As per the author, this book contains whatever the details that anyone who is intelligent enough to understand the true meaning of a religion and the world.

So, does that make this book superior to the holy bible? Or on the other hand, does this book makes the holy bible a fraud?
I say the answer is neither! There is no book that is superior to the Bible. When read often, and studied carefully while reading, one comes to the knowledge that the Bible is indeed the inspired Word of God! I am not talking about hurriedly reading through chapters and verses, I am talking about 'studying' the meaning of each verse. I, in no way, see this book as making the Bible a fraud. I see it as one person's opinion. Great question!
I cannot agree more. People reading the Bible, more like skimming through it, think it's just a set of rules. Even theologians, who are supposed to study the meanings lying under the surface, fail to do so. Therefore, they fail to see what all the hype's about. But, honestly, the Bible deserves all the hype. In it is found the secret to mankind's every single problem and solution. It shows us the future. It depicts secrets--way before science was even a thing--in the Bible that scientists prize themselves for discovering in the 20th and 21st century.
Absolutely! I have to admit that I have tried both ways of reading the Bible—both hurriedly and reflectively, and there is so much difference in how one feels after closely reading and reflecting on each verse as opposed to rushing through just to say you read so many chapters! The Bible is our roadmap through life if we will allow it to be!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
K+SQUARE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-square.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by K+SQUARE »

The Bible is, and remains the greatest book ever written. Every human is unique which makes perception differ a great deal. I feel this book is the author's candid opinion and perception of modern versions of the Bible.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I dont think this book in anyway nears the capacity of knowledge and wisdom present in the Bible. The book proved through science the presence of an infallible superior being in control of this earth. The bible is known to the words of this superior being written down for our use. Therefore does it not stand to reason that the words of the superior being would obviously be of greater import and value than a book written by one of His creations? That's simply my view.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 19:46 I think that it is valuable to understand that the Bible is a set of collected texts written by humans and often misinterpreted by humans. There are also many more texts that are not included in the canon Bible. Biblical literalists take certain interpretations of these texts and use them to justify behavior such as racism, sexism, and homophobia. Whether or not one believes in God, Biblical literalism is not useful or helpful.
That is a quite bold, yet true comment. The humans have used religious scripture, not only the bible, to manipulate the human mind and the society as per the political and personal agendas of the few who were privileged. This has happened over many generations and what we see today as the bible, we do not know to what extent that it is true
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Shahina C A wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 22:37 I don't think anything can make bible a fraud. Different people have different opinion about anything. I thing faith and religion are one's personal choices.
Anyone can have their personal opinions and beliefs regarding anything. Yet the point is that the bible has been edited and translated by many authors over many generations and the influence of the corrupted church has manipulated those editings. In that case, can we just accept the biblical texts as they are
Sushan Ekanayake

kdstrack wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 23:06 This book is the author's "Cry in the Wilderness." He says that he is searching, crying out, for the truth. He wants answers to his questions. His church leaders were unable to satisfy his inquiries. When he approached them with his questions, they responded: "most people don't think that deeply," (p. 3). His own leaders confused him with their teachings and their example. In spite of this, he left the church - but NOT the Bible. Many of his beliefs still reflect biblical truths. (Love God, love your neighbor; he still prays to God, etc.) For the author, the Bible is not a fraud. He is just "desperately searching for answers." (p. 3). He wants someone to show/teach him the truth.
He has gone to search for the truth since the interpretations that he got for biblical teachings have not satisfied him. He accuses the church for being corrupted and for manipulating those interpretations over the years. That is why he has searched for his own interpretations. Apparently the author has no problem with the bible but he is not happy with the given interpretations
Sushan Ekanayake

Cynthia Olyy wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 00:15 The Bible remains the only standard for the Christian. There could be an iota of truth in that the versions we have today have been manipulated, but no one knows the content of the original. Instead of taking up human philosophies and ideas that are bound to vary from person to person, I choose to stick with what we have already—the Bible.
That is quite correct. No one can know what was the original biblical content. So, whatever the content the today's bible contains have to be used as the biblical teachings. But the acceptance or rejection of those teachings has to be done with caution, since the face value of the text might misguide the reader
Sushan Ekanayake

rifieka wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 02:26

The interpretations can go either way when some scientific theory is found or a mystery is explained by science. The devouts can say that it was already there in the bible, but no one understood it, or they can interpret some biblical content to gain the credit of that particular scientific finding. So that is not a way to tell that the bible is true or valid. I have no intention to discredit or disprove any religious beliefs, yet I don't think that taking a human written book to make life standards has to be done with caution
Sushan Ekanayake

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 09:55 I dont think this book in anyway nears the capacity of knowledge and wisdom present in the Bible. The book proved through science the presence of an infallible superior being in control of this earth. The bible is known to the words of this superior being written down for our use. Therefore does it not stand to reason that the words of the superior being would obviously be of greater import and value than a book written by one of His creations? That's simply my view.
A superior being, if present, has to be superior to everything. If the biblical teachings have directly come from Him, then there is no argument regarding them as well. But the issue is that the bible has been written by humans, not God, and those humans are prone to do manipulations and misleadings in those biblical texts
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Sushan wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 20:43
kdstrack wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 23:06 This book is the author's "Cry in the Wilderness." He says that he is searching, crying out, for the truth. He wants answers to his questions. His church leaders were unable to satisfy his inquiries. When he approached them with his questions, they responded: "most people don't think that deeply," (p. 3). His own leaders confused him with their teachings and their example. In spite of this, he left the church - but NOT the Bible. Many of his beliefs still reflect biblical truths. (Love God, love your neighbor; he still prays to God, etc.) For the author, the Bible is not a fraud. He is just "desperately searching for answers." (p. 3). He wants someone to show/teach him the truth.
He has gone to search for the truth since the interpretations that he got for biblical teachings have not satisfied him. He accuses the church for being corrupted and for manipulating those interpretations over the years. That is why he has searched for his own interpretations. Apparently the author has no problem with the bible but he is not happy with the given interpretations
The author seems to recognize that the Bible does present the truth. His teachers have confused him so that he is unable to recognize the truths the Bible presents. This is a major downfall of the modern church. Bands and charismatic messages appeal to the emotions, but the teachings are weak. People clap and jump around in church, but go home spiritually empty. The church is not teaching the truth - as the author experienced. The hard part is that the church does need to teach about sin (a biblical teaching). After confronting a person with their sin, there needs to be an answer (that doesn't include the person's works or efforts). This was the author's dilemma. The church told him that HE was the answer - be good, keep the commandments... and maybe God will let you enter heaven. The author realized that he could never do these things in a way that God would accept. He became frustrated. He knows the answers are in the Bible, but he needs a church/teacher that teaches biblical truths and not man-made rules.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

Neither. The author had to use the Bible and the "wise words" of other authors to express his opinions. That in no way makes his book superior to the Bible. And a good thing used to do bad/evil does not automatically make the thing bad/evil. Likewise, Hunt's negative opinions on the Bible doesn't automatically make it a fraud.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”