Does this book makes the holy bible a fraud?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Does this book makes the holy bible a fraud?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Kenesha L Fowler wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 07:48
Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 00:41 The author herself has a Catholic background, yet she claims that the holy bible which is presented today is but a result of various manipulations and political agendas, not the true initial message given by the supreme being.

She gives evidence about a true supreme being via quantum physics as well as philosophical teachings. As per the author, this book contains whatever the details that anyone who is intelligent enough to understand the true meaning of a religion and the world.

So, does that make this book superior to the holy bible? Or on the other hand, does this book makes the holy bible a fraud?
Neither. The author had to use the Bible and the "wise words" of other authors to express his opinions. That in no way makes his book superior to the Bible. And a good thing used to do bad/evil does not automatically make the thing bad/evil. Likewise, Hunt's negative opinions on the Bible doesn't automatically make it a fraud.
When a good thing is used to do bad, how can that initially referred thing can remain good anymore? If the bible has been manipulated to do wrong things, I don't believe that it remains as a good holy book anymore. So, with the author's accusations towards the church and its corruptions and manipulations on the bible makes it a real issue whether the bible seen today is really the God's word or not
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Sushan wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 20:48
Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 00:41 The author herself has a Catholic background, yet she claims that the holy bible which is presented today is but a result of various manipulations and political agendas, not the true initial message given by the supreme being.

She gives evidence about a true supreme being via quantum physics as well as philosophical teachings. As per the author, this book contains whatever the details that anyone who is intelligent enough to understand the true meaning of a religion and the world.

So, does that make this book superior to the holy bible? Or on the other hand, does this book makes the holy bible a fraud?
Neither. The author had to use the Bible and the "wise words" of other authors to express his opinions. That in no way makes his book superior to the Bible. And a good thing used to do bad/evil does not automatically make the thing bad/evil. Likewise, Hunt's negative opinions on the Bible doesn't automatically make it a fraud.
When a good thing is used to do bad, how can that initially referred thing can remain good anymore? If the bible has been manipulated to do wrong things, I don't believe that it remains as a good holy book anymore. So, with the author's accusations towards the church and its corruptions and manipulations on the bible makes it a real issue whether the bible seen today is really the God's word or not
It's a good thing that has been manipulated. What is in the Bible does not change, it is translations and twisting the teachings that change. The Bible itself is and always will remain to be good, it is the people who interpret it in a way to back up wrongdoings that are bad. If I were to say 'you can't hit people', that's a good statement right? But if someone were to interpret that as 'you can't hit people, but I can hit trans people because I don't believe they should have the same rights as me', they have twisted it to mean something entirely different and bad, but the original statement still remains good, if that makes sense? People are using a good thing to justify the bad, the good thing itself hasn't changed, so it is still good. (also trans people do deserve all the rights!)
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

The bible is said to be written by humans through whom God spoke. So while humans may add their own insinuations, the general message is from God himself and as such should be regarded as absolute.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 16:05 The bible is said to be written by humans through whom God spoke. So while humans may add their own insinuations, the general message is from God himself and as such should be regarded as absolute.
General message may have come from God. But when the content of the bible are considered, there are things that are included targeting a specific group of people or specific cultural practices. It is highly unlikely that such a thing will be done by an almighty God who is fair for all. So apparently the bible contains God's as well as Human words
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

Sushan wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 20:48

If I take painkillers because I broke my leg but then become addicted to them, my abuse of that medication doesn't mean that the medication has been tainted and that other people can't find benefit from it. It would only be contaminated if I mixed in other substances with it or otherwise polluted it in some way.

I cannot speak for all Christians and have only been to one Catholic service in my life, but at every Bible study or other religious gathering I have been to, people ask God to help them understand His will. While I am not religious myself, I think people who are earnestly looking for answers in the Bible and truly want to discover how to apply its teachings to their lives rely on their relationship with God to tell them how it should be interpreted.
Gift Olubankole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giftabbie.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Gift Olubankole »

Well, to me, there is no book superior to the Holy Bible, and the Bible cannot be a fraud. The author may very well have her reasons based on logic for the descriptions used in this book. Taking time to actually study the bible and meditate on it, day and night with help from the Holy Spirit gives me a clearer understanding of the Word!
Proverbs 3:5 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding." :D
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

Answering your question, I think neither of those. Acknowledging the historical and more down-to-earth processes through which the Bible has gone through does not make it a fraud. You have to understand where it comes from, so you can understand more about it. Religion has been made and shaped by humans. This is because the ones in charge to protect and keep the knowledge have been humans. The concepts, worldview, and beliefs inside the Bible are something that each person has to decide and ponder upon by themselves. However, that does not mean that the conservation of such things hasn't been a human process. I believe this are two different things. Besides, there are many other books about this. I do not think one book alone can do that.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

Of course I don't know exactly what the writer meant but if she is Christian I doubt that she meant the Bible was a fraud. I think perhaps she meant the practice and interpretation of it was perhaps manipulated for politics and so forth rather than the actual book. This is what I am guessing
hlhunt33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hlhunt33 »

The word fraud might be a little strong. However most likely, there have been many fraudulent changes made by various editors over the years. It has been asserted that the acetic, Jerome, who is a canonized Saint by the Catholic Church, despised female so much that, as he translated the Bible from Greek to Latin, he removed or significantly altered most references to anything 'good' about women. My main point is, however, that any interpretations the original writers made of the goings-on in their lives were based on mythology and the pseudo-science of astrology. They knew no factual science. Hilary Hunt (masculine)---Hilary was Pope 461-468
Bisqwik
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bisqwik.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Bisqwik »

Just acknowledging the comparatively recent changes we have seen the Bible re-written in just the last century. We know King James changed it in various proven ways, Moses' books being continued by his apprentices, the emperors Nero and Constantine changing it to fit with the pagan beliefs of some of their own subjects, and on and on. I mean just look at how much Christmas has changed in just a few hundred years. Not to mention all of this is based on what is assumed to be an actual oral history rather than just a collection of stories shared by different tribes. Zealotry wouldn't be swayed with any amount of evidence, but if you are wondering about all this you can take a basic theology course or just use the internet to learn all kinds of info on the actual history of the Bible.
“A person’s never too old for stories. Man and boy, girl and woman, we live for them.”- Roland Deschain
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

I believe the Bible shouldn't be read like a story book because if you do, you may end up not benefiting from it and you may find yourself involved in old wives fables and unprofitable arguments. Read it with the mindset that all scripture is God breathed. Read alongside the author and thank me later.
riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by riyosha »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 07:49 I don't think it makes the Bible a fraud because I believe the Bible is there to guide people through life and help them find answers, or allow them to seek comfort. I think that the book is questioning the core beliefs of the Church, specifically the Catholic, as they appear to be hypocritical the more you delve into its history. So rather than making the Bible a fraud, I think the book is purely questioning those who preach it and whether they are the ones who are frauds (a controversial opinion I know, but an opinion nonetheless).
I agree wholeheartedly. The book just questions the people who teach and preach the Bible. In fact, Bible being a fraud depends on how you perceive it - if it helps you improve your life, of course, it is not a fraud. However, if you don't believe in its principles and can't use it to your benefit, it would be a fraud to you. This book just helps you find your opinion, it doesn't give you an objective answer.
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

This is a subjective question. Everyone will have a different opinion on this and it is not necessarily due to the author's views alone. However, I do not agree one bit. The Bible is God Word and it's authority is never in doubt.
Veraok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veraok.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Veraok »

Human ideology or opinion being philosophical or political doesn't and can't change what the Bible stands for. To me the Bible is not a fraud, it is complete because everything under and in the heavens challenging to human could be seen in Bible. For me every questions bordering human gets answers in the Holy book the Bible
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Coromandel Dreamin' by Ron Murray

Post by Praise GodWord »

This book is only an opinion by one person about a particular idea. The Bible is only a compendium of many authors who never met each other but agreed on the same thing. I prefer to believe to any book with many attestation or witnesses than a book with just an author.

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”