What is the author's true intention behind writing this book? Is it to prove that the God is true?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: What is the author's true intention behind writing this book? Is it to prove that the God is true?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

AnnieOgoo wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 11:53 Yes, I agree with you. The author was trying to prove (through logic and science and faith) that there is God. He however didn't impose his opinions on anyone, or imply that they were the ultimate truth. He was merely stating his thoughts and findings on his quest for God.
He also pointed out the 'limitations' of religion in considering God, and how man has, over the years, used religion to protect his personal, social, and cultural interest.
That is quite true. But as far as I can see, the author has not mentioned points against the presence of the God. In any argument there are two sides, even though the point of interest is obviously either true or false. But here the author has gone only for, but not against. That is actually a sort of implying his opinion on the reader
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 15:53 I think that they are trying to prove that there is some kind of supernatural being, but also to get people to see outside the box and outside the small box that religion can subconsciously force you to be in
Indeed.
I think he is trying to think out of the box. To become free of the kind of thinking the church has taught to him and prove the existence of God using a different method .

Basically, he believes in God but in a way different from the way the church proclaims and that is what he proves here.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

zainherb wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 06:41
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 15:53 I think that they are trying to prove that there is some kind of supernatural being, but also to get people to see outside the box and outside the small box that religion can subconsciously force you to be in
Indeed.
I think he is trying to think out of the box. To become free of the kind of thinking the church has taught to him and prove the existence of God using a different method .

Basically, he believes in God but in a way different from the way the church proclaims and that is what he proves here.
The author is trying to prove the existence of God through science, because many who believe science are tend to disregard the religious teachings which apparently have no scientific ground. The author wants to give his religious beliefs some scientific value and gain acceptance
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I believe the author was trying to make the readers think outside the box that is their mindset, religion, or the content they consume. I think he was trying to provide a new perspective on a topic that has troubled mankind since the beginning of time and has caused rifts between nations and families. And in the process he might have been bias, but then again nobody can turn off their beliefs.
Wekesa Namuyonga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wekesa-namuyonga.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Wekesa Namuyonga »

As to me i think the author expresses himself of the fact that he knows there is God and he is to prove it scientifically.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think the author was frustrated or perhaps bored or wanted to organize his own thoughts. Assuming he doesn't need money as he is a doctor, that is likely not his motive. Doctor's are generally speaking, relatively organized and feel bound to laws of science and so, when things don't fit into their idea of organization, they might try to organize the whole thing, whatever the thing is. What he is trying to organize is a relatively large amount of information, from the beginning of the universe up to present day. That's a lot of thinking. It's hard to say what might have inspired the author. He proposes that everyone is selfish as that it the only sin, one might suggest that he believes that he is selfish, and consequently, according to him, it was selfishness that inspired his book. I don't think he wrote it to prove the existence of God, but I also don't think that he intentionally tried to disprove the existence of God.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

The author has given readers the resources that will enable them to reach a decision one way or the other. He has also shared views that will sway the readers to make up their minds in a particular way. Therefore, the responsibility lies on the reader to choose, with discernment, where they will pitch their tent.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Sue_neth_ak wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 02:18 I feel that the author's sole purpose was to share what he had found after quenching his thirst for answers. He had often mentioned and questioned the mainstream beliefs he had grown up with throughout. So I guess it was his own harmless attempt to share with his fellows what he think things are to be. Of course it is a readers job to chose and believe what he or she thinks is right after thinking things through.
Yes, I feel the same way. I think the purpose of the author is to share the many mental exercises he had to do to make sense of a not-so-satisfying religious upbringing and, possibly, raise some thought-provoking questions on the readers.
Sushan Ekanayake

Ndiviwe wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 14:39 I believe the author was trying to make the readers think outside the box that is their mindset, religion, or the content they consume. I think he was trying to provide a new perspective on a topic that has troubled mankind since the beginning of time and has caused rifts between nations and families. And in the process he might have been bias, but then again nobody can turn off their beliefs.
He has been biased, I agree. So I don't think that his intentions for writing this book have been purely innocent. It is true that he has directed the reader to think outside the box, yet I believe that he has tried to prove his religious beliefs scientifically
Sushan Ekanayake

Wekesa Namuyonga wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 14:54 As to me i think the author expresses himself of the fact that he knows there is God and he is to prove it scientifically.
Exactly. Instead of whatever the points that the author raises, he tries to prove his beliefs, especially the belief of presence of a supreme God with scientific evidence. So seemingly his ultimate aim has been to convince the reader about the presence of God
Sushan Ekanayake

Bigwig1973 wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 09:58 I think the author was frustrated or perhaps bored or wanted to organize his own thoughts. Assuming he doesn't need money as he is a doctor, that is likely not his motive. Doctor's are generally speaking, relatively organized and feel bound to laws of science and so, when things don't fit into their idea of organization, they might try to organize the whole thing, whatever the thing is. What he is trying to organize is a relatively large amount of information, from the beginning of the universe up to present day. That's a lot of thinking. It's hard to say what might have inspired the author. He proposes that everyone is selfish as that it the only sin, one might suggest that he believes that he is selfish, and consequently, according to him, it was selfishness that inspired his book. I don't think he wrote it to prove the existence of God, but I also don't think that he intentionally tried to disprove the existence of God.
He has been taught his religion since he was very young, and when he grew up and became more educated, seemingly the earlier teachings have not been perfect anymore. So he wanted to have his own answers, scientifically proven answers for his questions. So he has studied for that purpose and to convey what he learnt, he has written this book
Sushan Ekanayake

Nkoo wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 11:32 The author has given readers the resources that will enable them to reach a decision one way or the other. He has also shared views that will sway the readers to make up their minds in a particular way. Therefore, the responsibility lies on the reader to choose, with discernment, where they will pitch their tent.
Maybe the ultimate decision regarding the content of the book is tge reader's choice. Yet the author has not been unbiased and he has stated his own thoughts in his book with scientific evidence to back them. So he, either intentionally or not, steers the reader to some specific decisions, rather than giving the reader total freedom to decide whatever he/she like
Sushan Ekanayake

Lunastella wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 11:53
Sue_neth_ak wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 02:18 I feel that the author's sole purpose was to share what he had found after quenching his thirst for answers. He had often mentioned and questioned the mainstream beliefs he had grown up with throughout. So I guess it was his own harmless attempt to share with his fellows what he think things are to be. Of course it is a readers job to chose and believe what he or she thinks is right after thinking things through.
Yes, I feel the same way. I think the purpose of the author is to share the many mental exercises he had to do to make sense of a not-so-satisfying religious upbringing and, possibly, raise some thought-provoking questions on the readers.
Maybe the author wanted to make sense for his religious learnings. But if that was his only iintention, why would he want to write a book. Clearly he wanted to make the reader look through his spectacles and convince the reader that some religious teachings are scientifically true, like the presence of God
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Sushan wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 08:42
Lunastella wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 11:53
Maybe the author wanted to make sense for his religious learnings. But if that was his only iintention, why would he want to write a book. Clearly he wanted to make the reader look through his spectacles and convince the reader that some religious teachings are scientifically true, like the presence of God
I don't think he wanted the reader to do anything. The book is just meant to be thought provoking and a way for him to get his frustrations down at the same time. It is up to the reader what they want to do with the information!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

I think ultimately the purpose of this book was for the author to challenge her own beliefs. It may not be as sample as wanting to prove that there is a God or not but maybe to clarify her standpoint.

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”