What is the author's true intention behind writing this book? Is it to prove that the God is true?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
CConfounded
Currently Reading: The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cconfounded.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Re: What is the author's true intention behind writing this book? Is it to prove that the God is true?

Post by CConfounded »

I think the book is trying to get people to think critically about God. It wants to help people who are struggling with their belief, and does so by providing biblical lines of thought about key controversial questions.

In the end, it is still up to the individual as to whether or not they believe.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

The message of the book is not very glaring but can be easily deduced. I understand the author is trying to prove the existence of God but in the most unconventional way I've ever read about it.
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

Sue_neth_ak wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 02:18 I feel that the author's sole purpose was to share what he had found after quenching his thirst for answers. He had often mentioned and questioned the mainstream beliefs he had grown up with throughout. So I guess it was his own harmless attempt to share with his fellows what he think things are to be. Of course it is a readers job to chose and believe what he or she thinks is right after thinking things through.
I agree with this response. It is clear the author found his foundation for his beliefs so perhaps he was trying to preach and expand the reach of his beliefs. However, as with all forms of art, it is the reader/viewer who interprets the work and naturally this happens as a reflection of their own life experiences. I'm sure there are some readers who took this book as a basis to disprove this message too.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

While the author tried to make it as ubmnbiased as possible, I feel the book was influenced by the fact that he went on a spiritual journey searching for answers to his questions. The answers he got according to him proved that God is real. Therefore this leaks through into his writing. However he also tried to leave it open to the reader to make their own assumptions based off the research he had done. So his intention was to try and answer questions about God but not fully to prove He was real.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Sararob06 wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 11:13 I think ultimately the purpose of this book was for the author to challenge her own beliefs. It may not be as sample as wanting to prove that there is a God or not but maybe to clarify her standpoint.
He has challenged his own religious beliefs and that has led him to research about his religion. Ultimately he has come to some conclusions and he has stated what he has found in his book. Anyway, what I feel is, he has directed the reader towards acceptance of the presence of a Good
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Shahina C A wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 22:41 I think it's true for some extent. Author provided some scientific and philosophical essence in this book. But she also want to prove that there is some supernatural power to help us
Exactly. Through his research the author has found scientific evidence to convince himself regarding the presence of the God. So he has stated all those facts, while being in his preoccupations, ultimately leading the reader too to accept that
Sushan Ekanayake

Miller56 wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 11:12
Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 00:43 It is true that the author has provided many scientific and philosophical details and has let the reader to go for his/her own conclusions, rather than trying to prove anything that the author believes as true or false.

But when the essence of the book is taken into consideration, I feel like that the author's true intention has been to prove that the presence of the God (or a supreme being) is true.

What do you think about that? Do you agree with me?
I agree that the author allows the reader to make their own conclusions. I also think that it is difficult not to have a bias when you write this type of book. For example, I believe that there is a God who directs my paths. Because of this believe, I live my life a certain way. I do not expect others to believe what I believe, but if I were writing a book such as this, I think my beliefs would be reflected in the text.
That is quite true. The it appears that the author has merely stated some facts, letting the reader to make his/her own conclusions, the facts that are included are not totally balanced. They reflect the author's beliefs and the evidence that he found to prove them. So, unknowingly the reader also goes in the same pathway to believe what the author believes in
Sushan Ekanayake

CConfounded wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 17:29 I think the book is trying to get people to think critically about God. It wants to help people who are struggling with their belief, and does so by providing biblical lines of thought about key controversial questions.

In the end, it is still up to the individual as to whether or not they believe.
It is true that a book cannot totally manipulate the reader. Yet there are suggestible personalities who will easily accept other people's beliefs when they are adequately convinced. So, I feel that this book does so. It suggests the true presence of a God rather than questioning it and even goes to the extent of backing that facts with quantum physics. So, how can we say that the book doesn't make the reader to accept the presence of a God
Sushan Ekanayake

Cynthia Olyy wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 00:28 The message of the book is not very glaring but can be easily deduced. I understand the author is trying to prove the existence of God but in the most unconventional way I've ever read about it.
Maybe the author's approach is unconventional. He uses science, mainly quantum physics as well as philosophy to prove that the God is there. Though he has not mentioned it as a conclusion in his book, I feel that his intention has been to prove the presence of a God
Sushan Ekanayake

WardahEbrahim wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 04:25
Sue_neth_ak wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 02:18 I feel that the author's sole purpose was to share what he had found after quenching his thirst for answers. He had often mentioned and questioned the mainstream beliefs he had grown up with throughout. So I guess it was his own harmless attempt to share with his fellows what he think things are to be. Of course it is a readers job to chose and believe what he or she thinks is right after thinking things through.
I agree with this response. It is clear the author found his foundation for his beliefs so perhaps he was trying to preach and expand the reach of his beliefs. However, as with all forms of art, it is the reader/viewer who interprets the work and naturally this happens as a reflection of their own life experiences. I'm sure there are some readers who took this book as a basis to disprove this message too.
The ultimate decision belongs to the reader regarding the facts that sre stated in a book. There are no arguments about that. But what I feel is that the author has tried to direct that decision towards his own beliefs regarding the presence of a God. The facts and evidence that he has provided directs the reader towards one side, rather than keeping his/her mind open to think or question further
Sushan Ekanayake

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 09:52 While the author tried to make it as ubmnbiased as possible, I feel the book was influenced by the fact that he went on a spiritual journey searching for answers to his questions. The answers he got according to him proved that God is real. Therefore this leaks through into his writing. However he also tried to leave it open to the reader to make their own assumptions based off the research he had done. So his intention was to try and answer questions about God but not fully to prove He was real.
The author has wanted to share his new found knowledge with the readers. So he has written this book. But, as you have clearly mentioned, the author has not been completely unbiased in his endeavor. So he somewhat directs the reader towards his own beliefs regarding the God via his book
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

While this is true, the author also directed readers to come to conclusions for themselves as his writings were simply based on answers so his own questions . He expects the reader to not be sheep but think for themselves and decide how they feel about this knowledge.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

I think the author's intention is to prove the existence of something beyond. But also to explain and develop further into how to get to that conclusion. Maybe, it can be said that it is about the author's journey into this conclusion.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

Perhaps she is trying to guide the reader to belief and to demonstrate it rather than forcing such a belief or merely lecturing. Maybe she is trying to instill that belief in people through evidences
hlhunt33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hlhunt33 »

Point: I clearly state that no one can prove or disprove the existence of a God. However, I also state that after observing the absolute perfection in both form and function of everything in the universe, I think is is more logical to accept a
concept of God than not. With that acceptance, I have defined that God's essence; God is a Perfect Rational Being. I believe that definition is complete and irrefutable. Hilary Hunt

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”