Is the author really being sacrilegious (as he states) or just offering a differing opinion?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Re: Is the author really being sacrilegious (as he states) or just offering a differing opinion?

Post by Fozia RYK »

We can never experience further understading in case we don't allow ourselves to ponder the case. Whether or not the outcome of this sort of thinking is correct or not, is another request.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

First, I commend the author for this bold move. Secondly, I think he's just offering his different opinions. The philosophical nature of the Bible, where most churches draw in their inspiration from, calls for dynamic and dimensional interpretation. Thus, it would be detrimental to state that there is only one path that the Bible's interpretation can follow.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Juliet+1 wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 17:45 In discussing Holy Communion, the author said that some people "might think" he was being sacrilegious, but he did not agree. He simply disagreed with the church's teachings that the wafer and wine magically became the actual body and blood of Christ. The author quotes Jesus as saying "do this in remembrance of me," a completely different idea. I think this is a significant disagreement that would probably cause any Christian to say that the author is sacrilegious. Christian churches (Catholic or other) teach that Jesus was divine, a part of god. He is one third of the holy trinity -- father, son, and holy ghost. The author believes in god, in his own way, but does not believe in the divinity of Jesus.
I agree, although, I don't think he entirely disagrees on the divinity of Jesus, but rather that he isn't one of the Holy Trinity, God is his own divine self, and Jesus is his son, he is divine, but not one with God. Also, you're right, I think a lot of Christians would say he is being sacrilegious, however, I think this is only in the context of Catholics. He talks about transubstantiation, the act that the wafer and the wine magically become the actual body and blood of Christ, but other denominations, such as the Church of England (Protestantism) believe in consubstantiation, so the wafer and wine just represent his blood and body and Jesus is just there in spirit when communion is taken. So yeah, as you and the author say, "some people" might think he is being sacrilegious, but I don't believe that he is!!!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

REIGNING20 wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 00:10 First, I commend the author for this bold move. Secondly, I think he's just offering his different opinions. The philosophical nature of the Bible, where most churches draw in their inspiration from, calls for dynamic and dimensional interpretation. Thus, it would be detrimental to state that there is only one path that the Bible's interpretation can follow.
I entirely agree with you! The Bible IS subjective, and the Church only offer one interpretation of it and dissuade any other interpretation. There is definitely more than one path to follow from the Bible, and the author has just chosen his own, in the eyes of God, I don't believe this to be sacrilegious!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Human are of differing opinion, to me, the author will be sacrilegious when he herd readers unto a new religion, which be didn't do.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 05:43 I don't think the author is sacrilegious. Maybe bold enough to challenge and test the common beliefs, but I strongly believe that God doesn't have a problem with that and we shouldn't either. We can never experience deeper understading if we don't allow ourselves to think outside of the box. Whether the result of this type of thinking is correct or not, is another question.

I agree completely.
God gave us an analytical !Ind and wants us to use it yo ask questions and think.
Challenge the generally held beliefs and see what comes of it.
Claiming it is sacrilegious to ask questions like this is to allow injustice to go on without anyone speaking up for fear of saying something wrong.

So no the author is not being sacrilegious.

The conclusions derived from this line of thinking are not necessarily correct, but the concept of thinking itself is correct.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Shahina C A
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shahina-c-a.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shahina C A »

The author didn't proved or disproved anything. She stated some facts and let the reader find the solutions.
CConfounded
Currently Reading: The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cconfounded.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by CConfounded »

I don't think it's sacrilegious to examine the bible and the church through in a less conventional light. To me, the bible should be read critically, and the church should be challenged. Even in the bible, Paul challenged a church that arose after Jesus died, which failed to meet Paul's standards.

To me, God expects you to be critical of his work.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I don't think he's being any sacrilegious. What he's doing is what so many people have done over different topics—giving a different point of view over a conventional belief. There are lots of them out there. No sacrilege!
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

This isn't sacrilege. Historically, there has been different interpretations of all religious texts the world over! The Bible too has many interpretations. Nor does this book sound like the author is challenging anyone's views. She just tries to put out her interpretation of the text. And these books were supposed to guide mankind through hundreds and thousands of years. Why must We be surprised if interpretations differ over time?
K+SQUARE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-square.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by K+SQUARE »

I don't think the author is sacrilegious. He simply put forth his perspective and o opinions concerning the Bible and God.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I dont think he is being sacrilegious. The bible is open to different opinions for different people based on their different experiences. It's subjective on the reader. Therefore there cannot be one universally accepted meaning that it's sacrilegious to go against.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

I don't believe that the author is being sacrilegious, he's looking at different aspects that are taught and questioning the different interpretations. It's so easy to get caught up in one way of thinking or teaching and it's good that there are books like this to push the questions and to look at how those interpretations can be more like opinions in many cases.
ASNOUFFER64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asnouffer64.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by ASNOUFFER64 »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 05:43 I don't think the author is sacrilegious. Maybe bold enough to challenge and test the common beliefs, but I strongly believe that God doesn't have a problem with that and we shouldn't either. We can never experience deeper understading if we don't allow ourselves to think outside of the box. Whether the result of this type of thinking is correct or not, is another question.
I agree. The author isn't being disrespectful about religion just sharing a different point of veiw.
CGO
Currently Reading: The Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by CGO »

I don't think the author was being sacrilegious. He was not violating something sacred. He just presented a different opinion from the standard, and I think people are entitled to their opinions.

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”