Shouldn't this book be unbiased?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
JulietBlack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietblack.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Shouldn't this book be unbiased?

Post by JulietBlack »

I think it's very unlikely for anyone to discuss religion without being biased. I understand that the author tries to explain religion through science but it cannot be void of personal opinion and values.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 11:34 The author has a biased point of view since he clearly states that religion is a hoax and he claims that the Church has been wrong for a long time. Do you think that being biased in a book that seeks to prove God's essence with scientifical arguments is valid? In my opinion, the author should be impartial, bringing points against and in favor of religion, but that's not what we see in this book.
For starters, I don't think there's anything wrong with the book being biased because the author is very open about the biases they hold. It's also important to distinguish between human religion and believing in a higher being. It seems like the author is trying to prove that there is a God like being, but when they say religion is a hoax they mean what religion has become today.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Intel
Favorite Author: Sarah Dessen
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intel.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
fav_author_id: 3879

Post by Intel »

Not really, I think the author is stating how opinion, but backing the logic with fact. It makes it even more sound than those who are radicals for religion
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I agree. I really found this book to be more of a rant against the Catholic Church than a Cry in the Wilderness. He was very biased and said things that a lot of people would take offense to, or even disagree with him completely. He knew that when he was writing, but I also felt he came from the book with a very biased opinion. It was not what I had expected it to be.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

cd20 wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 18:33 I agree. I really found this book to be more of a rant against the Catholic Church than a Cry in the Wilderness. He was very biased and said things that a lot of people would take offense to, or even disagree with him completely. He knew that when he was writing, but I also felt he came from the book with a very biased opinion. It was not what I had expected it to be.
I think you sort of have to accept it was going to be biased because it's a book about someone else's beliefs and trying to make sense of so many rules in a faith he no longer believes is entirely true to him. He never says it is going to be unbiased and in fact says that many will probably disagree with him. So some people will probably disagree or be offended, but that's their call. The book is purely there to help people see a different side of religion!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Being impartial isn’t a prerequisite for writing a book, so I suppose it’s the author’s prerogative to present such strong opinions. It’s up to us as readers to either reject these views (either from the outset or after reading the points raised) or accept them after careful consideration. I personally admire and respect anyone who is confident enough to present such strong ideas regardless of what others may think. I wish there were more authors like this.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I do agree with you, you sort of do expect it to be biased. But it was still different from what I was expecting. I was expecting more of a coming to religion (Cry in the Wilderness), than his disagreements of a particular religion. However, he wrote the book, so he could come at it from whatever angle he wanted.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 11:34 The author has a biased point of view since he clearly states that religion is a hoax and he claims that the Church has been wrong for a long time. Do you think that being biased in a book that seeks to prove God's essence with scientifical arguments is valid? In my opinion, the author should be impartial, bringing points against and in favor of religion, but that's not what we see in this book.
I don't know, perhaps the author is not saying religion is a hoax, but that the church is the problem. Perhaps the author does not have a problem with God, but with the conceptualization of God and what He wants as seen by the church.
Which is probably why he tries to prove the existence of God using science.

The book should not be biased, no, but it definitely is. It would be a rare type of person who could discuss religion without being biased.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

It's clear that the author is biased. However, I feel like it's hard to write an unbiased book. Especially when it comes to such a sensitive topic like religion and God.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Well, I would say presenting your argument is one thing and giving out judgment is another. The former is highly appreciated and the latter does not appear wise. The author seems to be proving his points with some references and theories. It would be up to the readers to decide, whether to believe him or not.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I believe the author is just declaring his stance here. Yes, he believes there is a God whose existence can be proven scientifically, and no, that the Church has not been getting it right. I don't find it biased, perhaps, that's the message of the book.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

He isn't saying that religioun is a hoax. The author himself is a Christian . This book isn't biased per se. I feel it's an effort by the author to make it unbiased by his christianity that makes it come off as antiGod or a bit atheist.
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

I don't really know. This book is written by the author, therefore he should be able to share his opinions.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author was clear in stating that this book was his personal "cry in the wilderness." He clarified in the opening that it is "my voice that cries loudly and unceasingly for Truth." The book expresses what he has experienced and what he now perceives to be the Truth. He tells readers that the book is not going to be unbiased. It is "my voice" that we hear in his writings. I don't think he was concerned with being biased. He just wanted to find the Truth.
Wyrd Phoenix
Currently Reading: The Runecasters Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyrd-phoenix.html
Latest Review: Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

Post by Wyrd Phoenix »

I do not think so. As a matter of fact, I would argue that the more controversial a book is the highert he revenue will be. Take this book for example, both scientists and every religous person is going to buy it so that they can pick it apart to further their own views. Is the author wrong for stirring the pot? No, as long as it stimulates civil discourse, we need more conversation on the hard issues. We will never see that in an unbiased work.

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”