Does the book convey that all biblical characters are myths?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Re: Does the book convey that all biblical characters are myths?

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Vine001 wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 19:09
Ayindelaw wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 07:53 The author cannot be serious! Adam and Eve are myths? It is a joke! Although the book is tongue-in-cheek saying that Bible characters are myths, It is not explicitly saying it.
Moses wrote the book of Genesis and God personally buried him. Adam and Eve existed. If we evolved then why haven't we seen new species evolving right before our eyes?
This what I have been saying. To even think that biblical characters are myths just shows where she's coming from. If we evolved from apes then there is no need for procreation. New humans would just evolved from apes. Adam and Eve existed point blank. For me I know I came from Adam and Eve but she probably evolved from apes.
Procreation is what allowed us to develop from apes in the first place! Changes in climate and more dominant genes are what help begin the process. There is a need for procreation, we didn't just appear because two apes had sex. If we all came from Adam and Eve then the human race is one big incesty family.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

I mean, it's see to see how Adam and Eve are myths. Most of the stories in the Bible sound so far-fetched. That the Egyptians were magicians, but Moses was a 'prophet'?! It doesn't make sense.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Maddie Atkinson

Wamakima wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 03:14 I mean, it's see to see how Adam and Eve are myths. Most of the stories in the Bible sound so far-fetched. That the Egyptians were magicians, but Moses was a 'prophet'?! It doesn't make sense.
I think a lot of the stories in the Bible are metaphorical rather than literal. They may have some historical basis. For example, we know that Moses did lead the Israelites out of Egypt, but it is unlikely he actually parted the Red Sea, that was probably a story based on an actual geological event. But other stories, especially in the Old Testament are just metaphors with some sort of moral meaning to them, allowing those who read it to interpret the advice that comes from these stories. So they aren't myths per se, but a lot of them didn't happen either, if that makes any sense?
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
ljohnson236
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by ljohnson236 »

Certain parts yes, but religion can be construed in different ways while science is fact.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 14:11 If the author contends that Adam and Eve are myths, what about Moses and the other biblical characters? Are we to believe that they are like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny?
:D

I suppose, the author will just have to decide what he wants to believe. If Adam and Eve are myths, then perhaps he doesn't believe in the narration of the bible as much as he thinks he does.

If he has chosen to believe that humans come from apes, well then, to each his own.
I know at least that I didn't come from apes, and I know that Adam and Eve are true for me, so, that's more than enough for me, irrespective of what is in the book.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Maddie Atkinson

zainherb wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 06:35
Bertha Jackson wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 14:11 If the author contends that Adam and Eve are myths, what about Moses and the other biblical characters? Are we to believe that they are like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny?
:D

I suppose, the author will just have to decide what he wants to believe. If Adam and Eve are myths, then perhaps he doesn't believe in the narration of the bible as much as he thinks he does.

If he has chosen to believe that humans come from apes, well then, to each his own.
I know at least that I didn't come from apes, and I know that Adam and Eve are true for me, so, that's more than enough for me, irrespective of what is in the book.
I don't think it's necessarily about him not believing in the Bible as much as it might seem, but rather stories like Adam and Eve are more moral stories, or the story of Moses being based off of real events and then changed over time, which is what happens when writing didn't exist at that time, if we are to believe that Adam and Eve were at the dawn of time!
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by OB Brian »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 16:19 I think that they are not necessarily myths, but rather the stories in the Bible have basis on events that did happen and made into metaphors with some sort of moral message. Some people and events in the Bible are historical fact, but some of them are just stories to send a message. Moses is likely to have existed but the events of the release of the Israelites happened, but Adam and Eve are not likely to have existed because science, as the author says, proves that we evolved from apes, so there can't have been a first man and woman. That's what I got anyway, but you are entitled to your opinion (as long as it's not harmful of course :D )
In my opinion, even if we evolved from apes, there must have been a first man and woman. Anyway, I don't think science proves anything because if indeed humans evolved from apes, and fish, and bacteria, why aren't they no longer in existence? What triggered their brothers to evolve into humans and the rest to retain their original form considering they were living in the same planet?
OB Brian

Post by OB Brian »

The author chooses to believe in the evolution theory, which does not mean that is that the creation story isn't true. I for one, do not believe that I came from an ape. But let's say we did and that all this started with the big bang, where did this big bang come from?
OB Brian

Post by OB Brian »

Ayindelaw wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 07:53 The author cannot be serious! Adam and Eve are myths? It is a joke! Although the book is tongue-in-cheek saying that Bible characters are myths, It is not explicitly saying it.
Moses wrote the book of Genesis and God personally buried him. Adam and Eve existed. If we evolved then why haven't we seen new species evolving right before our eyes?
Exactly. And why are monkeys still monkeys, gorillas still gorillas, and fish still fish? Why don't we have an apeman to prove that men were actually apes and while some made it to being men and some remained as apes, some became half of the two species?
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I think the author was trying to say that there is no scientific evidence that supports the existence of Adam and Eve or the garden Eden. The story of Adam and Eve is mentioned in the Bible to send a moral message. I don't believe that the snake in the story could talk or that Eve was created from a rib taken from Adam. All events that occurred in the story are not scientifically possible.
Maddie Atkinson

OB Brian wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 02:02
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 16:19 I think that they are not necessarily myths, but rather the stories in the Bible have basis on events that did happen and made into metaphors with some sort of moral message. Some people and events in the Bible are historical fact, but some of them are just stories to send a message. Moses is likely to have existed but the events of the release of the Israelites happened, but Adam and Eve are not likely to have existed because science, as the author says, proves that we evolved from apes, so there can't have been a first man and woman. That's what I got anyway, but you are entitled to your opinion (as long as it's not harmful of course :D )
In my opinion, even if we evolved from apes, there must have been a first man and woman. Anyway, I don't think science proves anything because if indeed humans evolved from apes, and fish, and bacteria, why aren't they no longer in existence? What triggered their brothers to evolve into humans and the rest to retain their original form considering they were living in the same planet?
That would be to do with a dominant gene. Science does explain and answer that question. Some apes would have had a dominant gene and when they breeded with other apes, that was passed on down to the next generation and so on until that gene became the most dominant. That gene would have been what allowed those apes to then evolve gradually into the first form of man. Not what we are today, but something very different from apes, and then that continued until we ended up how we are now. Some species became extinct because they couldn't compete with the new variation of their species so they died out, and some didn't because they were able to adapt into a different environment, for example, apes still live in forests and the jungle, but we originally moved into caves and then started civilisations. But those animals are beginning to become endangered because they can't compete with humans due to us destroying their homes. But that is why they still exist. Evolution is different for each animal.
Maddie Atkinson

OB Brian wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 02:21
Exactly. And why are monkeys still monkeys, gorillas still gorillas, and fish still fish? Why don't we have an apeman to prove that men were actually apes and while some made it to being men and some remained as apes, some became half of the two species?
We have fossils and skulls and all sorts to prove evolution, and DNA samples to show how similar we are to apes and other evolved species are to their ancestors. Science explains the answers to your questions a lot better than I do, but that's basic biology!
Maddie Atkinson

OB Brian wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 02:12
The author chooses to believe in the evolution theory, which does not mean that is that the creation story isn't true. I for one, do not believe that I came from an ape. But let's say we did and that all this started with the big bang, where did this big bang come from?
The Big Bang was an expansion of dense matter into space, which is still happening today (proved by background radiation) as space is still expanding and will be for billions of years to come! Personally, I believe that God caused the Big Bang with the plan for the universe and our planet to come into how it is now and what science proves it to be. He planned evolution, He put us in the exact right spot by the Sun for life to grow. Science explains the facts, but for me God put those things there for us to discover!
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I think the author hinted at it but didn't explicitly say that they were myths. Even if he did, I would have to disagree. We are all descended from Adam and eve. You can't tell me that we evolved from monkeys.
Maddie Atkinson

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 10:20 I think the author hinted at it but didn't explicitly say that they were myths. Even if he did, I would have to disagree. We are all descended from Adam and eve. You can't tell me that we evolved from monkeys.
I will point out that if we all descended from Adam and Eve only there would be a lot less than almost 8 billion people on the Earth today, considering that story is considered to have taken place only 10,000 years ago. We would also be one very big incesty family! There are so many similarities between us and primates, including the way our brain works, the structure of our bodies, opposable thumbs etc. and there is so much archaeological evidence to prove that evolution has taken place, not just for humans but for other species we see today! Even if Adam and Eve existed, there is no proof that they were the first man and woman, and they definitely wouldn't have looked how we look today. I am a Christian, I do believe that God created the Earth, but I think He created it from starting the Big Bang, rather than creating the Earth directly. I am not trying to offend in any way, but it is hard to argue against scientific fact. However, your opinion is valid, and you can believe what you want (as long as it doesn't harm others, which it doesn't here!) :)

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”