Do you think the author did justice to the questions he had raised?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Sue_neth_ak
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sue-neth-ak.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Do you think the author did justice to the questions he had raised?

Post by Sue_neth_ak »

The author had mentioned his childhood beliefs about his religion infested into his head since a long time and the conflicts he had come across with time.

From the start of the book itself he had put forth some interesting points to think about, from the right amount of praying to the changing role of the church.

Do you agree with the way he had chosen to answer most of his own questions?
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

I think the purpose of writing this book was to take the reader down a path of sorting through what we have all been taught throughout our lives about God and boil it down to the basic truths that we can use as a foundation for our relationship with God. He brings it down to two commands that Jesus gave us - first to Love God and second to Love our Neighbor. If we can accomplish that, everything else is noise and doesn't matter. For me, the book actually generated more questions than answers, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. And I think it successfully accomplished its purpose which was to strip organized religion down to the bare truth. I
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

It is true that the book raises many questions. But rather than answering them, the author states other relevant facts and tries to open the eyes of the reader and let him answer those questions. Through that the author attempts to go to the core of the religion (mainly Catholicism) which is covered by various interpretations from various authorities
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I think the author followed a solid logical structure in answering the questions he had raised. I particularly appreciated his use of the well accepted "big bang" theory of creation as proof of the existence of god. He also did a good job of comparing humans to other forms of life, pointing out the ways we are different and the ways we are the same.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I think he answered the topics he discussed a little more from the scientific viewpoint. The organized religion issues often cloud and turn people away from God. This book could open the doors for a nondenominational following, which I would completely agree with. The book reminds me of something a person once said "The leading cause of atheism is Christians. They preach about Jesus with their words but deny him by their actions. That is what an unbelieving world finds so unbelievable." This book could be useful in an evangelical setting.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

He gave the reasons with logic to explain the Big Bang theory. He proved the existence of God by his arguments. He gave a contrast between human beings and other creatures present in the world. In short he has explained all questions in a good manner.
Sue_neth_ak

Post by Sue_neth_ak »

Twylla wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 16:07 I think the purpose of writing this book was to take the reader down a path of sorting through what we have all been taught throughout our lives about God and boil it down to the basic truths that we can use as a foundation for our relationship with God. He brings it down to two commands that Jesus gave us - first to Love God and second to Love our Neighbor. If we can accomplish that, everything else is noise and doesn't matter. For me, the book actually generated more questions than answers, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. And I think it successfully accomplished its purpose which was to strip organized religion down to the bare truth. I
Yes the book had indeed raised more questions than answers, but I'm glad you had enjoyed it. Though the purpose of the book was to clear the common doubts of the fellow believers, the credibility of the facts provided still seems to bother quite a lot of readers. Hence, I'm back to square one. Did he really do justice? :eusa-think:
Sue_neth_ak

Post by Sue_neth_ak »

Sushan wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 08:25 It is true that the book raises many questions. But rather than answering them, the author states other relevant facts and tries to open the eyes of the reader and let him answer those questions. Through that the author attempts to go to the core of the religion (mainly Catholicism) which is covered by various interpretations from various authorities
Yes you do have a point. He had tried to get the reader come to the conclusions by themselves every now and then. I guess, since he had grown up with different contraindicating facts, he felt the need to clear things for the others. However, there seems to be a lack of authenticity of some of his facts, which are often his personal beliefs. :techie-studyinggray:
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

Twylla wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 16:07 I think the purpose of writing this book was to take the reader down a path of sorting through what we have all been taught throughout our lives about God and boil it down to the basic truths that we can use as a foundation for our relationship with God. He brings it down to two commands that Jesus gave us - first to Love God and second to Love our Neighbor. If we can accomplish that, everything else is noise and doesn't matter. For me, the book actually generated more questions than answers, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. And I think it successfully accomplished its purpose which was to strip organized religion down to the bare truth. I
True. It generated more questions than answers. And I wouldn't say he did justice to the questions he'd raised. I think it had to do with his point of view.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I do not feel that the author adequately answered the questions he raised. I also felt that he left the reader wanting more information. While I agreed with him on a few points, I disagreed with him on most points.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Yes the book generated a lot of questions, but I think the purpose was in part, to raise these questions in our minds, so we can learn the art of questioning as well.

I also think if the author has these many questions and doubts, while questioning with an open mind, why not try investigation other religions as well, and see which one resonates with her the most.

But, perhaps she is in the process of doing just that.

In any case, I digress, the answer is no, the book raises more questions than it answers, possibly to allow us find the answers ourselves and maybe because she hasn't the answers.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Shahina C A
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shahina-c-a.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shahina C A »

I think author didn't state the solutions for the problem she raised. Instead she stated some facts and let the reader to find the answars.
CConfounded
Currently Reading: The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cconfounded.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by CConfounded »

The Bible is a broad topic, and finding answers to all the questions that the author proposed is near impossible; otherwise there would only be one branch of Christianity!

I feel like everyone will have to go on their own individual path in order to find the answers they need from religion. For the author himself, his book appears to cover his own questions adequately. For the rest of us, we'll have to do the hard work of learning about what God wants and expects from us ourselves.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Yes i think he did to the best of his ability. He was simply answering questions that he himself had struggled with so the answers were according to his level of understanding of the subject matter.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

cd20 wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 18:38 I do not feel that the author adequately answered the questions he raised. I also felt that he left the reader wanting more information. While I agreed with him on a few points, I disagreed with him on most points.
I felt the exact same way. I especially found it very annoying when he'd say he would explore/explain a topic in a later chapter or some such.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”