Do you agree with the author's opinions on sin?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Re: Do you agree with the author's opinions on sin?

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 06:17
Orizon wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 01:11
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 16:26

I agree with you to an extent, but there are laws that are not written in the Bible that the Church will promote as sin. For example, the Church promotes sex before marriage as sin. The Bible talks about immoral sex, or abnormal sex, but not sex before marriage. So in this sense, sin is man made as this was an idea used to control people, specifically women

I understand what you are saying but the New Testament of the Bible quotes, "Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body." 1 Corinthians:6:18. Fornication (sexual intercourse, especially on the part of an unmarried person) is a sin. The way we see sin now is different from God's view of it. The only way we can see it as He sees it is through the Scriptures (if we truly and fully believe the Scriptures as God's word).
But surely, in a way, that is just interpreting the Bible in a way that it doesn't explicitly state? The Bible has been translated and mistranslated so many times, how can we know for sure that it has not been manipulated by church leaders (which they have done before)?
I really appreciate your wise and respective responses. I think the argument of manipulation of the Bible is a topic for later time and that's why I added, if we truly and fully believe the Scriptures as God's word in my last response. God bless.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I don't agree with the author. Sin entails everything we do that falls short of God's design for us, including selfishness. Selfishness is seen in the actions of babies. We are all sinners.

I do agree that churches and religious groups have added to and overly emphasized the checklists of thou shall and thou shall not which produces a sense that we can and should do better on our own.

None of us is better than anyone else. We all fall short. We all need God's grace. The point of acknowledging our sinful state is to realize we can't be better without God. We need Him.
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

I agree with the author, that from a human perspective, sin cannot be controlled because we do not possess that power to overcome temptations on our own. However, from a spiritual perspective, we do possess the power to overcome through faith in the divine. The laws that govern our morality were not made by humans. Humans only copied the guidelines God provided in the Holy Scriptures. Therefore, the Law is of God, and He alone can give us the power to overcome.
I also agree with the author that selfishness is the mother of all sins. This is because we commit all other sins out of selfishness.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

I completely agree with the author. Sins are man-made and I’ll take it a step further not every son is immoral and not every immoral thing is considered a sin for example by today’s standards there is nothing immoral about two grown-ups having sex before marriage as long as they both give consent however to the church this is a sin but if someone keeps other people as slaves it’s immoral by today’s standards but in the Bible, we see instances of God people taking their enemies as slaves and all that and it wasn’t considered a sin. In conclusion sin and morality are man-made concepts the difference is that one changes with time and the other is fixed to whatever religion says it is.
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 06:31
mariana90 wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 22:46 I do believe a lot of the sins are man-made, like the ones you listed. However, I don't think all of them are. When Jesus says "thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself", he's pretty drawing a line in regards to Christian behavior: anything we do that purposefully harms others is a sin.
I agree with this. Most sin are man made and some just common sense. It also flow from the moral values that have been instilled from birth.
Like you said though "love your neighbor as you love yourself " it is clear here that is commonly known to humanity to stop at loving him/herself. So this law could not stem from man himself which encompasses ideals of selfishness.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I do believe all of you are correct in a way. We look at sin from an outside perspective and judge it from an inside perspective. Furthermore, we are trying to formulate God's perspective and see who is right and who is wrong. So selfishness according to the author is definitely a logical source of sin.....but inevitability can create a situation where selfishness is a righteous tool.
Linnette
Currently Reading: Midwinter Turns to Spring
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linnette.html
Latest Review: Heat: by H.M. Irwing

Post by Linnette »

I disagree with the author to some extend because the biblical aspect of sin is there to help people have a drive in life. That is leading towards a life where we do more good, less harm.
Latest Review: Heat: by H.M. Irwing
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I agree that most sins are man-made based on what people think are right or wrong.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I believe that sins are man made. The church as an institution during its existence played a significant role in spreading moral values.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

I agree, sin mostly stems from selfishness and the need to feel superior. The churches priorities are also scrambled focusing on fortune and money. 'the gospel of wealth'. The author just has a blunt and direct way of putting it.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”