As per the author, regarding family planning, morality takes a back-seat to money, power and control. Do you agree?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

As per the author, regarding family planning, morality takes a back-seat to money, power and control. Do you agree?

Post by Sanju Lali »

The author says in his book that it seems morality can and does take a back-seat to money, power, and control. Ranting about birth control would fall on mostly deaf ears and would possibly anger many to leave the church or stop finance. How true is this?
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Crossroads by Andrew Slac
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I agree with the opinion that many people place money and possessions over morality. I believe that when you encounter someone you can help, even if it means going out of your comfort zone, that you should do so. I have seen many people look down on others that are suffering without a second glance. My expierence in life is everyone has high points and low points. It really angers me when people are cruel to mentally disabled people, it even brings tears to my eyes and I will voice my anger.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Certainly, nowadays many people make decisions based on power and money, not so much on morality or biblical values. The society in general, globally, becomes more and more egocentric.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

With most countries in the world subscribing to capitalistic trends, it would be so overt that money and power reign supreme or are used as standard parameters through which the conduct of other societal engines operate. Thus, I agree that if we are to factor in morality in the contemporary world, we cannot lord it over they that control our resources, sadly.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

No morality should not be at the back seat of the other powers and strengths. Money, power and control are necessary but not by avoiding morality. Rather I love to say that all powers can be gained adapting quietness, without avoiding moral values and social norms.
Karunavk
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karunavk.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Karunavk »

The propagators of the faith are not living in a separate world. They have to live here among their followers, see their sufferings and have to be practical about what they preach. It's not just a capitalistic choice, it's a practical one. The world has finite resources and it has to be shared by all the living beings. Ofcourse change is not easy and it may take the religious leaders a long time to inculcate the newer ideas into their preachings. But if the religion doesn't stay current and change according to the changing times it won't the newer generation won't be able to relate to it.
JulietBlack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietblack.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by JulietBlack »

I agree with the author. Morality seem to be losing against money and possession. Most people and society drive value from materialism rather than morality.
crisanja
Currently Reading: shadow and bones
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crisanja.html
Latest Review: Buried Seeds by Donna Meredith
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by crisanja »

JulietBlack wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 06:41 I agree with the author. Morality seem to be losing against money and possession. Most people and society drive value from materialism rather than morality.
Can one be moral and still pursue money and possessions? Does the pursuit itself lend itself to immorality?
Maddie Atkinson
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I absolutely agree. There are many that prefer putting morality at the back of their brain when it comes to maintaining wealth and power. For example, the Catholic Church in particular has more money than it will ever need which would be more than enough to end world hunger, and yet it decides to keep it, instead, as the author even says, building more buildings in the name of God, or even keeping cases of paedophilia out of the press as much as possible to allow it maintain its power. I know that this isn't every single Catholic, I am thinking more about the institution itself, because money and power do tend to be more important to them than doing the moral and right thing!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

This is a no-brainer, which is why, as the author states, there is little spoken from the pulpit about family planning. Abortion, yes. But not much about birth control for the following simple reason. Back in 1968, Pope Paul VI issued an edict, "Humanae Vitae," or "Of Human Life," which stated the RC Church's stance opposing any type of artificial birth control. The result? Donations in the collection baskets dropped off dramatically. The Church cannot afford to lose its finances from a membership that disagrees vociferously with an antiquated rule, so it's better to not raise the issue. It's all about the money, and from money, comes power and control.
dK3 + CCt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dk3-cct.html
Latest Review: Chronic Heavy Metal Poisoning vs. Your Health by Dr. David Maloney

Post by dK3 + CCt »

In our world today money is in control of everything. Those with money got power and its very obvious and natural for the powerful to look down at the powerless which is just immoral. The powerless as a defense mechanism havevto be evil to the powerful and thats how this endless circle begins. So, money have corrupted morality and its until we look at harmony our ancestry got in those days before invention of money.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Because of hunger for power, people tend to disregard conscience; they step on others to be on top. Money becomes their God and look down on those struggling. They forget that they too come from below before. Whereas before, they have positive family values and traits, these eventually take a back seat due to the glitters of opportunities at hand.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

The best example that I can come up with is the recent explosion of the so-called Prosperity Gospel. This is preached by mostly Evangelical Christian leaders who tell their congregations that the more money they give to the Church the more favorable God will look upon them. Once money and power are involved in religion, people turn a blind eye towards corruption and abuses of power which we have seen with the Catholic Church.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

Can one be moral and still pursue money and possessions? Does the pursuit itself lend itself to immorality?
[/quote]

Jesus says it's about the same as a camel going through the eye of a needle. But He goes on to say, "With man it is impossible but with God all things are possible." So it is possible.
1 Cor 15: 19-20, 26 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...The last enemy to be destroyed is death.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

I do not feel morality and one's faith in religion go hand in hand. Whether or not you follow Bible verses or not does not determine whether you are morally, or even ethically,sound. I do agree there a great deal of people out there who put money and power before all else, and I have seen many of those same people claim to be religious and outside it. Power hungry people live everywhere. I firmly believe in paying it forward. I have humbly learned to not judge people based solely on their initial reactions, or action in general. Nobody in this world is perfect. However, I do believe kindness goes a long way. Of course, there are people who have money and power and are still moral people. Control comes in many factions. You can be poor, unethical, non-religious and still hold control over someone or something. The three issues discussed do not necessarily fall into each other. I think a lot of people mistake money, power, and control sometimes. There are a multitude of different variables here. One can have no power or control, but they be wealthy and vice versa in every direction.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”