As per the author, regarding family planning, morality takes a back-seat to money, power and control. Do you agree?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Re: As per the author, regarding family planning, morality takes a back-seat to money, power and control. Do you agree?

Post by FaithMO19 »

I agree that morality does take a back seat to money, power, and control. These three elements have eaten so deep into society that morality does not even come close to the power and influence they have.
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

crisanja wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 23:35
JulietBlack wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 06:41 I agree with the author. Morality seem to be losing against money and possession. Most people and society drive value from materialism rather than morality.
Can one be moral and still pursue money and possessions? Does the pursuit itself lend itself to immorality?
You'd have to be so principled to pursue money and still be moral. But money has a way of chipping at your morals one at a time. You never see it coming.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
CConfounded
Currently Reading: The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cconfounded.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by CConfounded »

I believe that, in regards to family planning, religious leaders aren't going to battle a fight they've already lost. They have the more pressing priority to get nonbelievers to believe.

Family planning has been a fight that has been lost for centuries more than birth control has been around. Between abortions, the pull-out method, abstinence, timing around menstrual cycles, and everything else people have come up with over the centuries, those having sex have been fighting to control their potential parenthood sense humanity began.

While it may be against God's will (and, I will admit, I am not an expert as to what the bible has to say regarding birth control), people have been fighting him for millennia. I believe pastors are, rather than abstaining from talking about birth control for financial or power reasons, instead do so in order to focus on battles that they have a better chance of winning.
K+SQUARE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-square.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by K+SQUARE »

Indeed, in our society today, morality does take backseat to money, power and control. Money answers all things and the one who controls the money controls virtually every other thing which leads to giving up morality for money.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

While it seems to be a sin according to the bible to commit abortions, one must also be wise in preaching of the gospel. Simply put no one has the right to tell anyone what to do with their bodies. While it may go against God,s wishes it is not up to us to judge and castigate people for their own decisions. Simply put leave them to the mercy of God and try and help in whatever way possible.
Bisqwik
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bisqwik.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Bisqwik »

Even though the Bible is never openly against abortion, and the practice existed in those times. And some of the laws specifically mention the unborn. The entire issue of abortion grew from the Church itself. The perceived reality of an unborns "death" being the immoral thing to do rather than condemn multiple lives to being harder and more dangerous? Even ignoring abortion, look at how the morality taught by Jesus, not judging others and helping each other have turned into being unimportant. Capitalism teaches that money and power matter more. The homeless should suffer because they dont earn money. The elderly dont matter because they dont produce {covid especially now}. The power of the rich and oligarchs to impact anyone or anything *they* decide is immoral. Forcing others to follow the same rules as their religion, or perceived rules anyway. Seperating morality from money and power barely exists anymore. Instead it's hold the poor and weaker then you in contempt, and seize money and power no matter what.
“A person’s never too old for stories. Man and boy, girl and woman, we live for them.”- Roland Deschain
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Yes, I think a large portion of the public would be angered if the church started preaching against certain birth control methods. However, there are so many faithful followers, they would probably just complain about it but not actually leave the church.
Foluso Falaye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foluso-falaye.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Foluso Falaye »

Karunavk wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 02:02 The propagators of the faith are not living in a separate world. They have to live here among their followers, see their sufferings and have to be practical about what they preach. It's not just a capitalistic choice, it's a practical one. The world has finite resources and it has to be shared by all the living beings. Ofcourse change is not easy and it may take the religious leaders a long time to inculcate the newer ideas into their preachings. But if the religion doesn't stay current and change according to the changing times it won't the newer generation won't be able to relate to it.
No matter how the world changes, many religions put their laws above anything else, theoretically. In practice, it has never actually been like that for most. For example, if I was to follow Jesus completely, I would never hit anybody that hits me, meaning no wars and such. How many people really follow their religious laws or requirements completely? People just take different proportions that they feel they are comfortable practicing, the ones they rationalize they can get away with before the dreaded judgement day.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 02:21 Certainly, nowadays many people make decisions based on power and money, not so much on morality or biblical values. The society in general, globally, becomes more and more egocentric.
I couldn't agree more. Anyway, I think it ends up being harmful to the ambitious person himself. Some people end up ruining themselves because they are sick with no mural scruples of any sort.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

sanjus wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 11:05 The author says in his book that it seems morality can and does take a back-seat to money, power, and control. Ranting about birth control would fall on mostly deaf ears and would possibly anger many to leave the church or stop finance. How true is this?
In my experience this is very true.
Humans have a weakness of not practising many things they preach especially when other things they desire are at stake.

You may believe morality is primary, but once money and power come into play, you can somehow convince yourself that it is okay to make morality take a back seat, and it is all for the good.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

Karunavk wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 02:02 The propagators of the faith are not living in a separate world. They have to live here among their followers, see their sufferings and have to be practical about what they preach. It's not just a capitalistic choice, it's a practical one. The world has finite resources and it has to be shared by all the living beings. Ofcourse change is not easy and it may take the religious leaders a long time to inculcate the newer ideas into their preachings. But if the religion doesn't stay current and change according to the changing times it won't the newer generation won't be able to relate to it.
Don't you think manpower is one of the most valuable resources a country can have ??
And shouldn't we put the practical choice of using renewable resources instead of finite resources at the top of our priorities ??
I think we are spending our time and money to achieve the wrong goal
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

crisanja wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 23:35
JulietBlack wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 06:41 I agree with the author. Morality seem to be losing against money and possession. Most people and society drive value from materialism rather than morality.
Can one be moral and still pursue money and possessions? Does the pursuit itself lend itself to immorality?
I think it depends on your motivation and your definition of morality. But I do not see pursuing money and possessions as an end in and of themselves to be moral. In fact, I see it as pointless.
-Thea M. Frederick
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

I feel it is completely true. Science, religion, medicine, law, all of these subjects have been subdued to the mechanics of capitalism and the discourses of those in power. Power nowadays is closely related to money. This also mean that the discourses created work to serve only those in power. Us, as individuals, can choose what to believe. However, I do believe that religion and science are no exception to this. So yeah, I would agree that religion has been transformed, interpreted, and used. It does not mean there are some things true in there, but it means that it also has worked as a tool.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

Unfortunately many people do place money and power behind morality. This is why there is so much corruption. However, there are those that don't as well.
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

I agree with the author. People use their money and power to torture or bring shame to others. Nowadays morality and biblical truths are the most ignored teachings. Either way, married people also use family planning. I don't know if that is right or wrong, but its for their own good. Since am in the medical sector, I won't draw conclusions.

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”