What message is the author trying to get across?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

What message is the author trying to get across?

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Personally, I think the author is trying to show that there is more than one way to look at religion, especially in the context of Christianity. I think he is also trying to make sense of the many contradictions that he has identified between the Bible, the Church and science and in that way trying to get across the message that you don't have to stick to one teaching just because you are told to. You can follow your own heart and your own beliefs and still belong to the religion you were brought up in!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
grassy-lassy
Currently Reading: Sadie
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grassy-lassy.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by grassy-lassy »

Hello! I will admit first and foremost, that I am still in the middle of this book, however, I wanted to start discussing it with others. I think that the author IS trying to show there is more than one way to look at religion, however, he is only showing HIS way so far. While I think it's interesting, at times I find myself scoffing at the way he writes. As a witch who was once a Lutheran, I do think that the contradictions in the bible he brings up are valid and something that I also questioned when reading the bible or attending sermons. To answer your question, I think that the author's message is simply his own views on Christianity and religion and I think he's trying to persuade others to think more like him.
Maddie Atkinson

grassy-lassy wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 15:49 Hello! I will admit first and foremost, that I am still in the middle of this book, however, I wanted to start discussing it with others. I think that the author IS trying to show there is more than one way to look at religion, however, he is only showing HIS way so far. While I think it's interesting, at times I find myself scoffing at the way he writes. As a witch who was once a Lutheran, I do think that the contradictions in the bible he brings up are valid and something that I also questioned when reading the bible or attending sermons. To answer your question, I think that the author's message is simply his own views on Christianity and religion and I think he's trying to persuade others to think more like him.
Hello! That's okay, you can still discuss the book! I also think they are valid too! I just think he is trying to show that these are his views on the Bible, but also get people to understand you can look at the Bible in more than one way! I question the Bible too, as it is difficult for me to understand why one things is allowed when others aren't. I think it is just the Church's way of controlling people. Also, I think it is super cool that you're a witch!!!!!!!!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Religion is a very difficult and sensitive subject to discuss. And I agree with you. I think the author wants to convey that religion is not defined just by one group of people. It can mean differently to different people. There's no exact way to define it.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Uche B
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-b.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Uche B »

I think the author is trying to show people the danger of blindly accepting the teachings of the Church, after all, the clergy is made up of humans, which means they are not flawless.
"Life is more than unpainted fences" - Nomnso Mordi.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

I think he's trying to point out the importance of questioning things for oneself, taking a closer look at your beliefs and what or who shapes them. Additionally, I think he means to highlight the pitfalls and hypocrisy in organized religion.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Maddie Atkinson

Kenesha L Fowler wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 08:18 I think he's trying to point out the importance of questioning things for oneself, taking a closer look at your beliefs and what or who shapes them. Additionally, I think he means to highlight the pitfalls and hypocrisy in organized religion.
I agree, I think rather than trying to persuade people to his own ideas, he is trying to encourage them to do the same thing he did, look deeper into it and what your own truth is, rather than the truth you have been told to believe.
CGO
Currently Reading: The Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by CGO »

I think the author is trying to show that there are other perspectives to religion that most people care to venture out. Maybe for fear of committing a sacrilege?
MissM94
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missm94.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by MissM94 »

The author is trying to put across his views on Christianity. As someone who was born a Catholic, he was close to it and I think he questioned himself all the time.
Sophia10
Currently Reading: Master the Law of Attraction
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia10.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Sophia10 »

People have many misconceptions about religion and God regarding practices. Religion is the faith that actually be inculcated by one's own self not by compulsion. Since God doesn't need that way.
Gbemisola Akinremi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Gbemisola Akinremi »

I believe the author is trying to call people unto flexibility and open mindedness when it comes to religion, God and the Bible. You don't have to be rigid or stereotyped. It's a call to look deeper beyond what you're told or taught. In essence, basically I think the author is just trying to say know God for yourself, and not because of what you've been told or taught. The Christian race is personal after all.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I think the author is trying to express that there are different religions and there are differences in all of us.
Brainiac140
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brainiac140.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by Brainiac140 »

I think the writer is saying; It is okay to doubt what you have been taught. He wants the reader to make their belief flexible and not rigid to a particular opinion. Because sometimes when our doubts are cleared, we believe more
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 10:55 Personally, I think the author is trying to show that there is more than one way to look at religion, especially in the context of Christianity. I think he is also trying to make sense of the many contradictions that he has identified between the Bible, the Church and science and in that way trying to get across the message that you don't have to stick to one teaching just because you are told to. You can follow your own heart and your own beliefs and still belong to the religion you were brought up in!
I agree with every word you have written. That is what I apply in my life. The bible is like guide l use to know, understand and avoid what I view as mistakes even though they are about those who were extraordinary by the will of God. And also tell on what I truly think will be of great assistance, while I sail through this life of mine.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

I think the author is trying to show people the danger of blindly accepting the teachings of the Church, after all, the clergy is made up of humans, which means they are not flawless.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”