Pastors or Priests?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Anti-Diet Approach
Bookshelf Size: 2396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Pastors or Priests?

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Does anyone else find it strange that the author talks about a pastor when he was raised a Catholic?
I quote: "When I confronted my pastor with this observation he said to me, “most people don’t think that deeply”(p. 3).
I was raised a Catholic too and we refer to religious leaders as Priests or, more commonly, Father.
Did I miss something?
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Lunastella wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 12:09 Does anyone else find it strange that the author talks about a pastor when he was raised a Catholic?
I quote: "When I confronted my pastor with this observation he said to me, “most people don’t think that deeply”(p. 3).
I was raised a Catholic too and we refer to religious leaders as Priests or, more commonly, Father.
Did I miss something?
A Father is the same as a priest, who has been ordained to carry out sacraments (which I assume you know is things like the Eucharist or baptisms etc.) and a pastor is someone who is in charge of the whole congregation I believe. I think that's right but don't hold me to it, I'm Church of England, we have vicars :)!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
K+SQUARE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-square.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by K+SQUARE »

To the best of my knowledge, Catholics refer to their as religious leaders as Father or Priest and Catholics do not really accomodate other denominations. I wonder what the author means by the statement.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

If I refer to my own language, Dutch, the catholics do indeed call their congregation leader pastor ('pastoor'). A pastor is a priest.
Tangerinehippie1
Currently Reading: The Enchantress Returns
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tangerinehippie1.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Tangerinehippie1 »

It’s all cultural and preferences. They are both supposed to help guide you through God’s word.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I think it depends on the culture the religion is based in. Different cultures have different titles for different positions.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Lunastella wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 12:09 Does anyone else find it strange that the author talks about a pastor when he was raised a Catholic?
Did I miss something?
Same here. I was born and raised Catholic and we never referred to them as pastor. It was alwyas priest or Father. I thought I was the only one who was quite confused by this.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Uche B
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-b.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Uche B »

Well, a pastor is a spiritual overseer or a clergyman serving a local church or parish, and a priest falls within this definition. The author may just have been referring to the priest as a pastor.
"Life is more than unpainted fences" - Nomnso Mordi.
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

dianaterrado wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 09:17
Did I miss something?
Same here. I was born and raised Catholic and we never referred to them as pastor. It was alwyas priest or Father. I thought I was the only one who was quite confused by this.
You're not the only one! It baffled me. But maybe it was an editing mistake...?

K+SQUARE wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 11:50 To the best of my knowledge, Catholics refer to their as religious leaders as Father or Priest and Catholics do not really accomodate other denominations. I wonder what the author means by the statement.
Yes. We do. I mean, I'm not very active at the Church now, but I even attended a Catholic school. So, I wonder, was it intentional? Or an editing mistake'

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 07:18 I think it depends on the culture the religion is based in. Different cultures have different titles for different positions.
I understand. But as far as I know, all Catholics call their leaders "Father" or "Priest". Of course, the words change according to the language, but they mean the same. Pastors are far as I know, are for Protestant churches.

Tangerinehippie1 wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 22:57 It’s all cultural and preferences. They are both supposed to help guide you through God’s word.
I understand. I don't mean one is better than the other. Not at all. It just baffled me because the author emphasizes a lot that he was raised a Catholic.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

I’ve always known Catholic leaders to be called priests and pastors are in Protestant churches. Not sure of the author’s choice either.

SarahJean7 wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 22:57 I’ve always known Catholic leaders to be called priests and pastors are in Protestant churches. Not sure of the author’s choice either.
It's the same I thought I knew, but the author clearly states he was raised a Catholic, so it wouldn't be a natural choice to call a religious leader a priest. That's why I wonder if it is intentional and, in that case, what does it mean?
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I grew up in the Catholic church, went to Catholic school and everything. I only ever remember referring to the priests as Father or Monseigneur. My Lutheran friends all talked about their pastors all of the time.

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”