Pastors or Priests?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Re: Pastors or Priests?

Post by Odette Chace »

I didn't notice it at the time because I grew up in a Methodist church and it seemed natural to me that he would call his religious leader a Pastor. I'm inclined to believe the author simply misspoke considering how many errors the book has. It would be interesting if he at some point did attend Protestant services, as most of the gripes he brought up were tied to Catholicism and not Christianity as a whole (aside from his sweeping generalizations about organized religion).
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

63tty wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 15:20 I mean, what's the difference really. Both mean the same thing. Why try to separate religion yet they all serve the exact same God.
I totally agree. But in the context of the book, which focuses so much on being precise and on how troubled the author had with his Catholic faith, I think it has importance.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

Lunastella wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 10:26
63tty wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 15:20 I mean, what's the difference really. Both mean the same thing. Why try to separate religion yet they all serve the exact same God.
I totally agree. But in the context of the book, which focuses so much on being precise and on how troubled the author had with his Catholic faith, I think it has importance.
Oh yeah, I totally didn't consider that. You're right. I concur.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Yes, you're right! Catholics use 'priests' and other Christian denominations use 'pastor' or 'reverend'. It is interesting that a Catholic-raised person like the author chose to use 'pastor' instead of 'priest'. I'm also wondering what that might mean.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

KristyKhem wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 16:07 Yes, you're right! Catholics use 'priests' and other Christian denominations use 'pastor' or 'reverend'. It is interesting that a Catholic-raised person like the author chose to use 'pastor' instead of 'priest'. I'm also wondering what that might mean.
It's a minute detail, but it caught my attention because, in a book that's supposed to be so precise, it stands out.
hlhunt33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hlhunt33 »

To clarify the question raised about me calling my priest, a pastor. A priest is only designated as pastor when he has been assigned by his Bishop the duty of being 'pastor' of any given church community . Most priests, particularly priest belonging to religious orders such as Jesuit, Dominican, Holy Cross, etc. never become pastors. Most are teachers, administrators, etc. Most ,but not all, pastors are diocesan (secular) priests. Also, most pastors have 'assistant pastors' who are priests; some are deacons---hope this helps. Hilary Hunt
hlhunt33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hlhunt33 »

Catholics always address a priest as Father. However, when speaking of a priest's official position, we speak of him as pastor, assistant pastor, missionary, etc..
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I was wondering if he used pastor and priest interchangeably to reach out to a larger audience. Either way, priest or pastor, readers understand that these are the recognized spiritual leaders of the Church.
Veraok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veraok.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Veraok »

Being a pastor or a priest, they serve the same function.They are to guide and lead Gods people through his word and will. I think to the Catholic, they feel the priest is the closest person to God and that's why the place of confession to him comes in. Pastors are mostly used in Pentecostal churches while priest are for authodox Churches.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Coromandel Dreamin' by Ron Murray

Post by Praise GodWord »

The truth is that the function is the same, while the title might differ at some points between the word Priest and Pastor. The word Pastor means Shepherd, which is also translated as Priest in the old testament. Catholics are using the functionality with a different title.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Coromandel Dreamin' by Ron Murray

Post by Praise GodWord »

The truth is that the function is the same, while the title might differ at some points between the word Priest and Pastor. The word Pastor means Shepherd, which is also translated as Priest in the old testament. Catholics are using the functionality with a different title.
Claire Vaal
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-vaal.html
Latest Review: So Long Earth by Michael Bienenstock

Post by Claire Vaal »

I was raised Catholic too and I agree with you. We said both "Priest" and "Father"
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

No, you didn't miss anything. Pastors and Priests are all the same because the former is used more often this days rather than the latter. Again, people often assume when they say priests, onwould think of them as people of the old statement. As such, people tend to use more of pastors as the presiding man of God in their churches.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I've also never heard of a Catholic Pastor. In fact, whenever I think of a pastor, I think of a religious leader who has started up his own church or denomination that is not part of any major church.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I have always heard that "priest" is more associated with Catholicism also. Priests or Father are generally Catholic and pastors, reverend, elder, etc., refer to other religions. I'm not sure why the author would have done that. The author also wrote that he had someone (I can't recall offhand what the actual term was, but I'm assuming the reference was religious), look over the book for not only factual, but also for logical consistency. Logic is a branch of philosophy, and while some branches of philosophy and theology may be similar, I don't think extensive study of logic is required for priests or pastors. Reminds me of Lewis Carroll - Carroll was supposedly a pastor and a logician, but I don't know if he was Catholic.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”