Pastors or Priests?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: Pastors or Priests?

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

As far as I know, Catholics tend to call their religious leaders as priests, or bishops, or cardinals, but I have never heard of them calling them pastors. I think 'pastor' is used more by Protestants and Evangelical Christians.
tuannazri_4848
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tuannazri_4848 »

Does anyone else find it strange that the author talks about a pastor when he was raised a Catholic?
I quote: "When I confronted my pastor with this observation he said to me, “most people don’t think that deeply”(p. 3).
I was raised a Catholic too and we refer to religious leaders as Priests or, more commonly, Father.
Did I miss something?
Tandz
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tandz.html
Latest Review: Don't Quit by Kyle S. Reynolds

Post by Tandz »

I agree with al who say it is a cultural preference. However in theory ( according to my understanding) the difference between a Pastor and a Priest is that the former is a ordained leader of a congregation and the latter is a person authorised to lead the sacred procedures of a religion. But honestly I use those terms interchangeably because to me it seems like one and the same person.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

Lunastella wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 12:09 Does anyone else find it strange that the author talks about a pastor when he was raised a Catholic?
I quote: "When I confronted my pastor with this observation he said to me, “most people don’t think that deeply”(p. 3).
I was raised a Catholic too and we refer to religious leaders as Priests or, more commonly, Father.
Did I miss something?
Yeah, Catholics, Anglicans, Methodists, and most Orthodox denominations use 'Priest' not 'Pastor' when referring to the head of their congregation. But at the end of the day, it's all semantics. Whether priest or pastor, they're the same in function.
BellAJoEb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajoeb.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by BellAJoEb »

I know for a fact that a catholic spiritual leader is referred to as "Priest", "Father" or even "Padre". But I will conclude that the author must have at some point in his life mixed with other faith who refer to theirs as "Pastor"
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

You're right, I was brought up as a Catholic for years, and also keep many Catholic friends. The names the spiritual leader is called is either priest or father, never pastor. I guess the author must have mixed things up along the way.
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by OB Brian »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 14:03
Lunastella wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 12:09 Does anyone else find it strange that the author talks about a pastor when he was raised a Catholic?
Did I miss something?
A Father is the same as a priest, who has been ordained to carry out sacraments (which I assume you know is things like the Eucharist or baptisms etc.) and a pastor is someone who is in charge of the whole congregation I believe. I think that's right but don't hold me to it, I'm Church of England, we have vicars :)!
Perhaps they are not the same. However, they are all church leaders. Perhaps the author was raised Catholic and chose to be Protestant. Or maybe, while checking his grammar, there were too many ''priest'' and Grammarly suggested ''pastor'' :D
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I was born and raised Catholic but now a Pentecostal faithful. We never called the Father a Pastor, so I don't know. Perhaps, that's what he grew up hearing others call.
enna_idEsrun
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enna-idesrun.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by enna_idEsrun »

I did find it curious that the author, being raised Catholic, referred to his religious leader as pastor. While in some cultures we find Catholics who refer to themselves as charismatic to suggest something about their way of worship, typically, Catholics regardless of culture, refer to their religious leaders as priests. So, yes, I agree with you.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

Did I miss something?
I am a Catholic. And I believed he used the term 'pastor' probably because he was referring to the priest as a leader of the congregation.

In my opinion, a priest or Rev. Father is used when referring to a person. But when referring to that person in the capacity of a leader of a local congregation, a pastor can be used.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

lumenchristi wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 16:07
Did I miss something?
I am a Catholic. And I believed he used the term 'pastor' probably because he was referring to the priest as a leader of the congregation.

In my opinion, a priest or Rev. Father is used when referring to a person. But when referring to that person in the capacity of a leader of a local congregation, a pastor can be used.
Oh, I didn't know that. I've always called Catholic priests a priest or father or depending on the rank, maybe an Archbishop or something. Thank you for your explanation!
dcruzsammy
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcruzsammy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by dcruzsammy »

That confused me as well, never in my life, as a Catholic have I encountered that priests are referred to as pastor instead, perhaps a mistake, cause if it is really a pastor that would suggest otherwise of his religion, I think.
Gbemisola Akinremi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Gbemisola Akinremi »

A pastor is a priest, but well I'm aware Catholic refers to theirs as priest so maybe it's an editing mistake.
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Post by shannonkate8 »

It was definitely odd for me too. I was also raised Catholic and always referred to the head of the church as a priest. Whenever someone said pastor, I equated it to another denomination of Christianity. I wonder if the author is Catholic or perhaps went to a church where the priest was called a pastor.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
Tangerinehippie1
Currently Reading: The Enchantress Returns
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tangerinehippie1.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Tangerinehippie1 »

I think like many words and titles it is based on culture and how one grew up.

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”